Television Licence Refund To Go To Manx Radio

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm pretty sure MR is impotent, which renders the stud option void.     Notwogan does what he's always done: coasts along on meandering whimsy chasing national treasure status, occasionaly having

For me MR hit a low point with the Chief Minister's interview about the reciprocal health agreement and the disgrace that was Roger Watterson's candidate interviews during the Douglas East byelection

Didn't you read what Pugh said? It's not really licence fee money. It's just the BBC decided to give some money to the Isle of Government, just for being such a super bunch: no connection whatsoever with television or the money you pay the BBC. It's that kind of insight which just goes to show why MR's treatment of current affairs is so very good.

Judging by this (which suddenly has a bit of context that was lacking when it was first published), another defence would be "we're a national treasure... bet you gobbags haven't even heard other radio stations...they're rubbish! You don't understand... we're not the BBC! Value for money! Leave me alone you maladjusted losers!"

Truly the peoples radio station, now that we are actually paying for it from our own pockets via the BBC. So by another stroke of luck the IOM gov can save loads of money to spend elsewhere.

Time to shut down Manx Radio as it's only the mouthpiece for the gov anyway. If a business doesn't make enough to pay the bills it should shut up shop, why are we paying for this business, in which we have no say, to continue.

For me MR hit a low point with the Chief Minister's interview about the reciprocal health agreement and the disgrace that was Roger Watterson's candidate interviews during the Douglas East byelection (the one where he conspiciously allowed Woodford to ramble on and attack other candidates, but would sternly cut them off whenever they tried to respond).

It's shown itself to be not up to the task of dealing with current affairs in a serious and thoughtful way, and shows little inclination in remedying this. During the RHA affair I can remember Stu writing a snide and condescending aside in one of his columns about how anyone can look through bits of paper in their spare time (some posters here had put in FOI requests to obtain details of the matter from the UK, some groups used FOI to find out about the VAT agreement, and a few including myself were looking at the Hansards to try and chart the progress and history of the issue) which simply appalled me, not just for it's haughty tone but it rather begged the question as to why MR's political staff so rarely seemed to indulge in the same basic level of research if it was so easy.

That combined with straw man and disingenuous statements that MR can't be the BBC and the use of spurious examples like coverage of Libya to justify inaction, when all most people are asking for is a little more thought and effort, says to me that MR will never take itself seriously as a national broadcaster. The most important function of any such body is to treat current, local affairs with at least a minimum dilligence and professionalism (i.e. interviewers not interrupting callers to bang on at length about their own opinion, and not engaging in on-air sulks about how a load of crazy folk think you're a lickspittle); if it can't do that, then it has no right to continue existing.

They may as well discard the pretence and just scale down to an easy listening and lifestyle station with occasional public announcements.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 1

Manx Radio should be able to make substantial savings WITHOUT having a drastic impact on programme output.

It has too many managers for a start:

A Business Director AND a Managing Director, why? Ditch the Business Director.

A News Editor AND News Editor (New Media), why? Combine the role into one.

Also, what does Terry Cringle actually do. Okay, "The History Man" is a great programme - BUT is it just me, or are they the same programmes on repeat?

And the musical things that say "Manx Radio" all the time, did they need replacing in 2009 with some that sound exactly the same? And if they needed replacing, surely Manx Radio could have found a more economical way of producing them rather than hiring an ENTIRE orchestra, and using studios at Abbey Road in London. Click here to see

I'm sorry chaps, you can't flash the cash one minute and then plead poverty the next. Energy FM's current jingles were made for another radio station (Radio 1 I think, a long time ago!), but Energy have simply had them remade for a fraction of the cost. Manx Radio should be able to do the same.

If the subvention is cut, savings need to be made.

If revenue is down, sort the Business Execs out!

If the BBC are sending any money back to the Island, it should go back to those that paid it - or at the very least on something more deserving, ie. schools and healthcare, Hospice Isle of Man etc.

Edited by Gagster

So Manx Radio are getting all this money from the BBC ! how much do they get from government depts for advertising and sponsorship,and how much do they get from manx gas and the likes,enough is enough, if they can't survive as a business on their own, time to let them go !

also why does Alex Brindley play a Hanson record every day ????

If Manx Radio was a horse then it would have been shot a long time ago

Ten years ago MR got along with 250k a year from the Govt ...that then shot up to 750k!!! Then came the increase to almost a million

And what did the staff at MR do? Gave themselves all a HUGE increase in wages!

Which they're still on today. Despite the cuts .....

I'm pretty sure MR is impotent, which renders the stud option void.

Also, what does Terry Cringle actually do.

Notwogan does what he's always done: coasts along on meandering whimsy chasing national treasure status, occasionaly having a subtle dig at anyone who rocks the boat on his way and talking about a photo someone sent in of a parsnip that looks a bit like a cock. Or something.

Playing notwogan at his own game, here he is during a brief stint at the samaritans:

NW: Hello there, how are you?

X. I'm unemployed

NW: Ha ha! That reminds me of the great depression. I don't have to tell you, spuds and herring were in strong demand back then. But do you know who made the best Jam? Unlikely as it might sound, it was the Lieutenant Governor himself!

X. What? I've maxed out my credit cards paying the mortgage, but there's no work. They're going to take my home.

NW: Oh we made do in those days. You don't need me to tell you, old Barry Kinvig, one time Douglas featherweight champion, used to raise spirits with a reel on his old (by now positively ancient!) fiddle! And we didn't complain, not the stoic Manx. Revolution isn't in the Manxman's consciousness you see.

X: My wife's threatening to take the kids, I'm at my wits end

NW: That puts me in mind of the following precious vignette: Can you imagine a Manx communist state? You'd have the Commissar bursting into a dissidents house, (oh and wouldn't there be plenty of those over here!), sternly saying "come with me!", and your man there wouldn't even look up from his paper. "Traa dy liooar" he'd say! Priceless! No, not in the Manx spirit. No shootings at dawn with crows pecking away at the remains of the bourgeoisie... tsch! I bet those corpses know how CoMin feels a lot of the time, ha ha!

X. I'm thinking of commiting suicide

NW: Have you seen this parsnip? It looks a bit like a cock.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 3

The TV licence payers of the Isle of Man are not getting their money back ....apart from MR employees

So in effect we're paying for Manx Radio twice ....through our taxes and now our TV licence fees

Edited by Xpert

Aside from this forum, who can we actually complain to?

By the sound of it, Government's behind it and complaining to MR itself will just ellicit some patronising response about quality and how you need to understand....

Your best bet is probably your local MHK(s), and hope that enough people do the same to kick up a fuss and make it an issue.

Edited by VinnieK

Aside from this forum, who can we actually complain to?

Your best bet is probably your local MHK(s), and hope that enough people do the same to kick up a fuss and make it an issue.

It's nearly time for them to knock on our doors and ask for a job so now's a good time to raise any issues with them.