Open University Costs

I was thinking about perhaps doing something with the OU and I was stunned by the cost of some of the modules. In particular the cost for students in the IOM. In most cases it's twice what students in the rest of the UK pay. Anyone have any experience of this and could perhaps shed some light on the disparity in fees?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about perhaps doing something with the OU and I was stunned by the cost of some of the modules. In particular the cost for students in the IOM. In most cases it's twice what students in the rest of the UK pay. Anyone have any experience of this and could perhaps shed some light on the disparity in fees?

We are not part of the UK.

Unfortunately, it's the same deal as a physical university: since we don't pay anything into the UKHE budget, we don't get the subsidised costs.

I'm not sure if there's financial support for the OU.

Yeah, it's down to subsidies given by the UK. I started a degree course last year and found that my module fees were about 2 - 3 times the cost of the UK prices. I eventually found a section in the OU help guide that stated that UK residents receive subsidies for the courses while the likes of the IOM don't.

It's the price that's specifically made me stop studying my course. My next module was over £1000 but if I was in the UK, it was something like £360. Just can't afford it.

I was 4 years into a 7 year law degree when OU decided that they would hike the fees up for IoM students. I couldn't afford to finish it then as each year was something like £1500.

Not sure if it's the same now but at the time had I given everything up and left the island to carry on the course at Uni, the IoM Government would have paid a fortune in grants. But if you stay here, work and pay taxes and try to study part time they won't give you anything.

There is funding available from two sources potentially for OU Study

Student awards from the DOE - http://www.gov.im/education/provision/higher.xml

or a grant from the DTI in certain circumstances for a vocation course from the DED http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/investiniom/FactSheets2010/isleofmangrantsassistance.pdf

See point 8

Hope that this helps

I'm not sure how it compares financially, but another option is London University's External Programme

I think it's slightly less flexible (in that you sign up for the whole degree), and that there's less in the way of teaching support and you have to buy most of the resources (text books etc) yourself, but generally you can do a full degree with them for about three grand.

I'm studying with the OU and find it a little annoying that the fees are about 3x the UK's, and as well as that the face to face tutorials are inaccessible since they are usually held in Preston or similar. So you pay more and get less. However, I understand that I can't have it both ways, paying low tax here and get the benefits of high tax in the UK to subsidise the fees.

Have you approached your employer? If your course is in any way relevant to your job you may get some of the fees paid for you. Have you already got a degree? If not, and you're local (i.e. not a comeover like me), can you approach the government and ask for fees to be paid/subsidised as if you were a school leaver going to uni for the first time?

Best of luck, and if it's maths you're interested in PM me - I have a fair bit of material I could 'share'

I'm studying with the OU and find it a little annoying that the fees are about 3x the UK's, and as well as that the face to face tutorials are inaccessible since they are usually held in Preston or similar. So you pay more and get less. However, I understand that I can't have it both ways, paying low tax here and get the benefits of high tax in the UK to subsidise the fees.

To be fair to the OU, it's not really their fault. Island fees (IOM + Channel Islands) have always been about two or three times the subsidised UK fee.

The fault would seem to rest with the IOM Government for not supporting OU students on the Island with regards to fees, which is patently unfair.

The fault would seem to rest with the IOM Government for not supporting OU students on the Island with regards to fees, which is patently unfair.

I'd agree with that, it'd be nice if the government would subsidise OU fees - not across the board however. Somebody like me, with a university education already, should not be subsidised to do another degree just because I feel like it, but for first degrees, or education that would benefit the island, a subsidy should be provided.

Hang on now - there's a very important historical artefact falling into the sea in Ramsey that desperately needs to be packed up and put in containers in Jurby - that has financial priority over everything else...

At the time that I completed my OU degree (1999-2002) I don't recall there being any differential for Isle of Man students either; I moved between the IoM and UK during those three years, so I certainly would have picked up on it. Looking at the fees for the equivalent of one of the modules I completed in 2002 I see that even the 'standard' fee is about 50% higher now than I paid and the IoM fee is more than 100% higher; an incredible fee inflation over a period of less than ten years.

I started a degree with OU in 2005/6 and during this time the fees changed from subsidised to " foreign student " rates. As I couldn't afford it, I looked into possible assistance with the fees only to be told that I could only get help if it was a vocational course. I had to drop my course and lose my points. I felt cheated really. It was the only chance I would get to gain a degree and it was in a subject that fascinated me. But lack of funds prevented me continuing. Unfair in my opinion.