Thats an article from three years ago.

I know i was just pointing out it was something that people involved in the sport want, but just think of all the exciting races we've missed out on by it not being introduced :rolleyes:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cars aren't quite as close this year and the only reason it was neck and neck in 2010 was was because the RB drivers were taking so many points away from each other. For me, its a two car, two dri

I wonder what's happened to Lewis Hamilton to make him so moody? Obvious suggestions: Fall out with his Pussycat Doll Fall out with the father he fired as manager when he was doing well Fall out

Looks like the Iceman is making a return: http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Williams-to-announce-Raikkonen-deal-in-Abu-Dhabi,32787.html   Fingers crossed that Williams produce a decent car for next

Posted Images

Blimey Digga, that's a weekend and a half for you - PLEASE take a camera and post up some pics for us.

It'll be loud there, I'd advise earplugs for sure.

Have a great weekend when the time comes!

New camera is ordered and on its way :-) pics i'll try to get if i dont get lost in the spirt of things and just wander round aimlessly Gorping like a fool, started to watch the chinese gp this morning the build up can drag a bit but if you dont watch it you miss so much info so got to lap5 before work got in the way, i know the results but i like to watch the whole race through, should really sort out a check list of stuff i need to take with me... unfortunatly i'm away for the turkey gp so will have to try and find a beach bar in the maldives that will show it (honeymoon btw but we have been married over 9 years so it's 'Time' we went and not open to discussion she said ), as i said photo's will be a big priority as i doubt i'll get the chance ever to go again as this was a total blag the hotelroom is a third of my annual wage :blink: ,yes it could be done cheaper if i was going on my own or with the wife but could never afford the 'style' that i am going to experience this trip......going on the wednesday26th back on the monday i admit to being a little excited it's going to be a biggy :)

Edited by Digga

Oh it's mighty expensive alright, I'm not sure whether I'd go or not in all honesty, maybe it could be a trip to take when I retire, as I won't have the double whammy of losing out on income whilst I'm away.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble taking pictures lol, I went through about 5 x 36 exp films when I went to Silverstone in 2002 and I was only there for race day. :)

A former GF had the best idea, although naturally I scoffed at it at the time (silly girlie idea etc).

Swap the drivers round each race. That way the best driver would win the championship and it would be absolutely fascinating to see (say) Lewis in a Ferrari one race and a Lotus at the next. Anyone can win in a great car, but it takes something special to get points in a poor car.

Do the quali as normal, then Charlie Whiting flips a coin to see whether the grid is reversed or not. Plenty of action and overtaking, but you'd always want to be fastest in quali just in case. :)

Simple, cheap and potentially fun!

Reverse grids spice it up nicely in BTCC, usually for the wrong reasons though, plenty of people end up getting tagged in other peoples accidents (although it is most fun to watch). They have 3 races per weekend though so reversing the top 10 in one of them is no big deal.

They also have success ballast, which could be something to look at in F1 (an extra 45kg would surely slow down even the likes of Vettel).

If you want same engines, lets find the best drivers sort of thing then watch GP2 or F3 or F Renault. Let F1 be F1, no restrictions on spending just engine size. Back to the good old days of engine and aero inovation. Lets hear the sound of W16 or V12 engines, or maybe turbo V6 again. 1500 Hp from 1500cc, amazing.

I've liked F1 for many years, and personally see the golden age as around 1967, the last year before aero and sponsorship took over. Circuits were truly spectacular, not like today, where with a few exceptions (e.g. Spa) they are tedious, technical go-kart tracks. But we can't and shouldn't turn the clock back - in those days, drivers died almost every season, even the greatest drivers of their generation.

I hate the idea of contrived changes for the sake of greater spectacle, like reverse grids, and Ecclestone's mad idea of artificial rain. The sport ought to allow designers, teams and drivers the fullest scope to produce the fastest cars. The regulations ought to be about laying down the parameters of the formula so that competition is fair, and specifying driver protection for the cars, equipment and circuits.

I've liked F1 for many years, and personally see the golden age as around 1967, the last year before aero and sponsorship took over. Circuits were truly spectacular, not like today, where with a few exceptions (e.g. Spa) they are tedious, technical go-kart tracks. But we can't and shouldn't turn the clock back - in those days, drivers died almost every season, even the greatest drivers of their generation.

I hate the idea of contrived changes for the sake of greater spectacle, like reverse grids, and Ecclestone's mad idea of artificial rain. The sport ought to allow designers, teams and drivers the fullest scope to produce the fastest cars. The regulations ought to be about laying down the parameters of the formula so that competition is fair, and specifying driver protection for the cars, equipment and circuits.

Fastest cars at the front is the main reason for no overtaking, Laws of physics say a slower car isn't going to overtake a faster one and if everything is equal using parameters, you'll have no overtaking at all (so no more coming back from 18th to 3rd)

so your plan is for a bunched up procession with advancement in places decided by someone else breaking down or someone having a poor tyre change time, So the winner and race result will be decided 99% of the time in qualifing :rolleyes:

There is no reason to remove advances in safety by turning back the clock if thats what it took to improve things

I am not one of those who thinks a lot of overtaking is what F1 is about. Football is a tense and exciting game because goals are hard to score.

To me, the best designers, teams and drivers should consistently win. If you introduce a lottery element like reverse grids or artificial rain, you just get corrupted results.

I think you have misunderstood the word parameters - I am not advocating making all cars the same. You just have to have some parameters for the formula, e.g. Engine capacity, weight etc so that all the designers have a brief to work to. I actually think that as it stands, the parameters are too tight and that designers should have more scope for innovation.

The best way to improve the spectacle is to race at exciting circuits like Spa, and not tedious ones like Hockenheim. Of the new circuits, only Istanbul offers much excitement. The rest, for the most part, have little gradient changes, few fast sweepers, no hidden apexes.