The Mailbox Lounge Bar & Grill

He used to work there but nothing to do with it now - the owners were 'difficult' - all related to Capital International (MillYard is their former office in Castletown)

It's nothing to do with 'Capital'. It's not exactly suprising that the Mailbox rents the ground floor from Capital House (the building) which I would imagine is the same Company that owned Capital's old building in Castletown - Millyard.

A couple of the Directors are also members of the groip of investors, the majority of whom don't work at Capital and are again nothing to do with the Company. But surely if you had the opportunity to invest in a Restaurant that was going to be in your building, would you not?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In summary, you feel out classed by people who earn a moderate living and enjoy going to nice places. The sort of chap who would happily pull his own kind back to ground zero if they ever found the a

think it is the same owner or management as the new train station restaurant

Went to Artisan today and have to say fantastic!!!! - no pissing about great food, no stupid dress code rules, great staff and not a bad price.     Fuck you Mailbox!

It's nothing to do with 'Capital'.

Noticed that the butty shop part of it's closed to punters off the street but they're still serving lunch to the staff in the building. Presume there's contracts in place or something?

Hopefully something appropriate can be found for the venue.

He used to work there but nothing to do with it now - the owners were 'difficult' - all related to Capital International (MillYard is their former office in Castletown)

It's nothing to do with 'Capital'. It's not exactly suprising that the Mailbox rents the ground floor from Capital House (the building) which I would imagine is the same Company that owned Capital's old building in Castletown - Millyard.

A couple of the Directors are also members of the groip of investors, the majority of whom don't work at Capital and are again nothing to do with the Company. But surely if you had the opportunity to invest in a Restaurant that was going to be in your building, would you not?

Thank you for the 'clarification'. unsure.png

I went there once - taken by someone who expected to impress me. He failed.

Was it his chat that failed to impress you or did you just write the event off because you expected more from the restaurant?

It was probably the way he was so impressed with himself for being able to splash a load of money on a very average meal - with very ordinary wine - and seemed to expect me to be impressed that he ate there regularly enough to be familiar with the place.

• Like 1

Are you sure the owners were difficult and not the other way round?

Having met the uppitty girl from Captial I doubt it.

What has that got to do with The Mailbox?

Well at the time the Mailbox did not exist and in conversation staff at Captial were referring to the future restaurant as 'our' restaurant. But you have ties to the place obviously so will know the facts, and on reflection they did seem to be spouting all sorts of exaggerated bollocks.

Well at the time the Mailbox did not exist and in conversation staff at Captial were referring to the future restaurant as 'our' restaurant. But you have ties to the place obviously so will know the facts, and on reflection they did seem to be spouting all sorts of exaggerated bollocks.

Not at all - I just know having eaten and drunk there, as well as having been to a few events in the restaurant that Capital were effectively an outsourced agency for various parts of the business like the design work for instance...

Besides, if I had a restaurant underneath my office I am sure that I would refer to it as 'my' or 'our' - a bit 'Ally McBeal' for want of a better analogy...

Edited by Southerner

'as well as having been to a few events in the restaurant that Capital were effectively an outsourced agency for various parts of the business like the design work for instance...'

Yep so nothing to do with Capital. Honestly you think that anybody would outsource design work to capital, they are a finance company who painted a building a sickly shade of yellow.

Is the business centre upstairs still running or has that shut down as well?

Their twitter account for the Isle of Man Business centre states

Enjoy the new business lounge at The Mailbox and watch out for our serviced offices due ti be launched kater this year.

Which would indicate they were linked, the website for the business centre is shut down also. You will no doubt tell me that the Business centre had nothing to do with Capital.

Must be some bruised ego's in that yellow building.

• 6 months later...

About to re-open?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/the-mailbox-bar-could-re-open-1-5726826

Grape and Grain Limited, based in Parsonage Glebe, in St John’s, has announced that it will apply to the licensing court sitting on June 13 for the transfer of the alcohol licence from Rivertown Limited.

In addition, the company will apply to vary one of the terms of the licence, to allow under 16s to be on the premises until 10pm or 10.15pm, if finishing a substantial meal.