Party Poopers

mister meaner

I recently bought my son a quad for his birthday, and with this weekend being so nice i thought it would be a good opitunity to take him out for his first experience on it, being the isle of man there arnt many places you can go to use such things, but i remembered there was an open area of sand/peebles behind the old tip at the point of ayre. So off we went parked up and got to the area and it was perfect with no one else in sight, my lad had a couple of hours of fun and got to grips with his quad and just as we were leaving some random bloke worked over and told use we wernt supposed to be in there, which i wasnt aware off. Apparently all the land around that area is privetly owned and whilst the owners have allowed joe public to use the land for what ever recreational activity they wish over the years, the typical busy bodys have complained that people on motocross bikes and quads are damaging the grass banks where birds and wild life are nesting, and whilst i can understand this to some point it hasnt affected wildlife for the last however many decades people have been using the land, the best of it is after being told this the guy said there was signage on one of the other entrances telling the public about the changes, he also said that the owners of the land have been forced to put these changes in place. I bet the do gooding wildlife spoters are still traipsing around all over trying to find wildlife.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you did this right in the middle of the breeding season as well. I saw the signs last week - why buy a quad if there's almost nowhere to ride it?

FWIW it has caused great damage to the wildlife.

I had similar feelings today when i went for a walk down smeale today, all camping prohibited etc. i used to love going camping down there. its a vast open space that for some reason sombody has stopped folks using.

Should have saved your money and bought some full stops instead.

Or buy him some binoculars and show him how good the Island's wildlife is and maybe explain how important it is that it is preserved for future generations.

I had similar feelings today when i went for a walk down smeale today, all camping prohibited etc. i used to love going camping down there. its a vast open space that for some reason sombody has stopped folks using.

I've noticed that camping in tents is being banned but mobile homes are OK with permits - for example at the Mooragh park. No riff-raff maybe?

And you did this right in the middle of the breeding season as well. I saw the signs last week - why buy a quad if there's almost nowhere to ride it?

FWIW it has caused great damage to the wildlife.

I bought him a quad because like myself and my wife he is a petrol head, but whilst he is learning i dont think taking him to the deads or russian mines is a good idea, hence taking him to the point of arye where its sandy/stoney which also helped to keep speed down. Its a 50cc quad that makes hardly any noise and puts as much ground pressure down as an average persons footprint. What annoys me more is the amount of people walking dogs that were in and out of the long grass disturbing the wildlife alot more than my young fella on his bike.

I've noticed that camping in tents is being banned but mobile homes are OK with permits - for example at the Mooragh park. No riff-raff maybe?

Riff raff or not people should have the right to camp in tents.

Should have saved your money and bought some full stops instead.

Some sense of humour on you boy, maybe you should get a full stop for your mouth.

What annoys me more is the amount of people walking dogs that were in and out of the long grass disturbing the wildlife alot more than my young fella on his bike.

I agree - was parked up by the lighthouse a few times last week and saw loads of people letting their dogs roam about.

What annoys me more is the amount of people walking dogs that were in and out of the long grass disturbing the wildlife alot more than my young fella on his bike.

I agree - was parked up by the lighthouse a few times last week and saw loads of people letting their dogs roam about.

Must have been a dozen dogs of leads in the time we were there, maybe the land owner should stop all access full stop, although we dont want another langness situation do we.

Sky Hill and up around millennium way would be a pretty good place to take a quad bike. I go up around there all the time and I only ever see people on trials bikes. Don't think you would need to worry about being reported somewhere remote like that.

Sky Hill and up around millennium way would be a pretty good place to take a quad bike. I go up around there all the time and I only ever see people on trials bikes. Don't think you would need to worry about being reported somewhere remote like that.

He is only 4 mate, whats it like for access to sky hill?

We stay on Smeale quite a bit and have seen the signs go up. So had a word on the warden and she said that vans are OK so long as there are not too many of them at once. The reason that they banned tents was because they usually don't have toilet facilities with them and too many people were using the sand pits for the unmentionables and kids were finding this out by accident. Not very nice and completely understandable.

He is only 4 mate, whats it like for access to sky hill?

Drive up (track) - but be warned, I live down the side of Sky Hill in Glen Auldyn. I'll be waiting...