Party Poopers

mister meaner

I recently bought my son a quad for his birthday, and with this weekend being so nice i thought it would be a good opitunity to take him out for his first experience on it, being the isle of man there arnt many places you can go to use such things, but i remembered there was an open area of sand/peebles behind the old tip at the point of ayre. So off we went parked up and got to the area and it was perfect with no one else in sight, my lad had a couple of hours of fun and got to grips with his quad and just as we were leaving some random bloke worked over and told use we wernt supposed to be in there, which i wasnt aware off. Apparently all the land around that area is privetly owned and whilst the owners have allowed joe public to use the land for what ever recreational activity they wish over the years, the typical busy bodys have complained that people on motocross bikes and quads are damaging the grass banks where birds and wild life are nesting, and whilst i can understand this to some point it hasnt affected wildlife for the last however many decades people have been using the land, the best of it is after being told this the guy said there was signage on one of the other entrances telling the public about the changes, he also said that the owners of the land have been forced to put these changes in place. I bet the do gooding wildlife spoters are still traipsing around all over trying to find wildlife.

I think you will find most of the land is owned by us the tax payers , the lighthouse is private but that has walls around it and a sign at the gate.

At least now the old tip is covered you don't get attacked by thousands of shite hawks ,they go into the towns now and empty the bins or steal the ice creams or food from your children !

just take him and say nowt on here then the do gooders won't know !Thats what everyone does when they are out lamping with their dogs :whistling:

Edited by DRIVER

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, Mister Meaner...

Local medics have seen a depressing number of under-6-year-old children seriously injured by their Vain Idiot Parents who have put them on motorcycles over the past 10 years. Broken femurs, broken humerus, respiratory arrest due to crushed chest (quad) etc etc - they've seen them all.

All these are potentially fatal. Who here can seriously agree that these kids are 'in control' and choose to do what they are doing?

Are you a V.I.P.?

Wait at least until your kids are old enough to ask and understand!

In fact, it is not hard to imagine that you also have little regard to conserving greenlanes and tracks and reparing them after you've made a mess of them to please yourself...

I recently bought my son a quad for his birthday, and with this weekend being so nice i thought it would be a good opitunity to take him out for his first experience on it, being the isle of man there arnt many places you can go to use such things, but i remembered there was an open area of sand/peebles behind the old tip at the point of ayre. So off we went parked up and got to the area and it was perfect with no one else in sight, my lad had a couple of hours of fun and got to grips with his quad and just as we were leaving some random bloke worked over and told use we wernt supposed to be in there, which i wasnt aware off. Apparently all the land around that area is privetly owned and whilst the owners have allowed joe public to use the land for what ever recreational activity they wish over the years, the typical busy bodys have complained that people on motocross bikes and quads are damaging the grass banks where birds and wild life are nesting, and whilst i can understand this to some point it hasnt affected wildlife for the last however many decades people have been using the land, the best of it is after being told this the guy said there was signage on one of the other entrances telling the public about the changes, he also said that the owners of the land have been forced to put these changes in place. I bet the do gooding wildlife spoters are still traipsing around all over trying to find wildlife.

It is breading season and there are lots of ground nesting brids up there.

The best place to take your child off roading (and suitable for 4 year olds) is the foxdale deads (by the clock tower) or the old foxdale mines. Both these sites have little jumps for when he gets better and you can park your car close by.

Both sites are unsuited for bird life so you wont do any harm.

enjoy!

Aren't these sites Lead ridden? That's Lead as in Pb. and brain damage.

At four years old, surely the only safe place is a little oval grasstrack with lots of straw bales and a remote ignition cutout?

I know a few people who have bought their very young children, ie under 5 years old, their first motorbike, and in all cases have done so without any badgering for such a gift from the child. And in all cases it strikes me as the first tentative steps by the parents to live the life they wish they had lived through their children. It's no different really to the pushy parents who traipse up and down the country to force their kids to attend auditions for various dramatic productions regardless of talent. Although these kids are unlikely to meet serious injury through bursting into a poorly delivered version of Any Dream Will Do.

Dont take him up Sky Hill thats a stupid idea. Hes not allowed on greenway tracks as they are the same as the road need licence and insurance plus its over a mile till you get to the heather and theres nowhere open to allow him to ride.

you need to take him to private land the corner of a field and be very careful if the quad rolls he can get injured especially as it probably out weights him and has hot exhaust etc.

My friend has an electric trials bike for his 5yr old and nobles park is perfect as its silent and doesnt damage the ground, its also speed controlled.

I can only think that people are not aware of the composition of the aptly named Deads. 20 years ago Wolverhampton uni did a study and recommended to our government that the seriously polluted areas be covered over as a matter of urgency but still nothing has been done. Very small children are frequently seen riding round in clouds of dust, even having a barbecue at the side. When the new surface was put in at The Bowl it was found that the old pitch had been put in on a base of material from the Deads. This was considered to be so polluted that it had to be covered before the new pitch was put in.

Sky Hill and up around millennium way would be a pretty good place to take a quad bike. I go up around there all the time and I only ever see people on trials bikes. Don't think you would need to worry about being reported somewhere remote like that.

He is only 4 mate, whats it like for access to sky hill?

You can park at the bottom and drive/ride up the road, it isn't perfectly flat or anything and I would suggest you go in front of him in case of any on coming bikes. When you get further up it is pretty big and open. It is the only place I could think you could take him. Most of the people who go up there are on trials bikes and are pretty sound, they're not going report you mate.

Sweet, i could probably get a pick up from work im sure that would get up, that near the paintballing place?

You seriously want to take your 4 year old up Sky Hill on a quad?

I wish you had been a Darwin Award winner, rather than potentially entering your innocent child.

Frankly, the idea of a 4 year old in control of a quad bike anywhere where other people might be encountered (and injured) is just crazy. Closed, private land then fine - you (the OP) are the child's parent and it is your decision.

Yes 4 years old, he was riding a pw50 scrambler at 2.5 years old unaided. and i was on the old wrights pit at the point were there isnt any long grass for a 200 meter radius of the area we were in, so i doubt the birds/wildlife would be getting effected.

My understanding was riding quad bikes can be quite dangerous were they to overturn. Or is that not going to happen at slow speeds?

As with every hobby there is possibility of injury, it has a resticter screw on the throttle lever and gos no faster than walking speed, it also has a remote stop.

Hey there, Mister Meaner...

Local medics have seen a depressing number of under-6-year-old children seriously injured by their Vain Idiot Parents who have put them on motorcycles over the past 10 years. Broken femurs, broken humerus, respiratory arrest due to crushed chest (quad) etc etc - they've seen them all.

All these are potentially fatal. Who here can seriously agree that these kids are 'in control' and choose to do what they are doing?

Are you a V.I.P.?

Wait at least until your kids are old enough to ask and understand!

In fact, it is not hard to imagine that you also have little regard to conserving greenlanes and tracks and reparing them after you've made a mess of them to please yourself...

I think you will find i respect the contryside as much as possible when im out and about and unlike others i dont go of the track that is there, also at 4 years old my lad is plenty old enough to have a quad and infact it what he asked for for his birthday, as above theres chance of injury in every hobby and i certainly aint going to wrap him up in cotton wool. He also has all the protective gear ie boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, padded jacket and motocross pants.

It is breading season and there are lots of ground nesting brids up there.

The best place to take your child off roading (and suitable for 4 year olds) is the foxdale deads (by the clock tower) or the old foxdale mines. Both these sites have little jumps for when he gets better and you can park your car close by.

Both sites are unsuited for bird life so you wont do any harm.

enjoy!

I fully intend on taking him here once he has abit more confidence.

Aren't these sites Lead ridden? That's Lead as in Pb. and brain damage.

At four years old, surely the only safe place is a little oval grasstrack with lots of straw bales and a remote ignition cutout?

As above it does have a remote cut out, do you know of any grass ovals with straw bales?

I know a few people who have bought their very young children, ie under 5 years old, their first motorbike, and in all cases have done so without any badgering for such a gift from the child. And in all cases it strikes me as the first tentative steps by the parents to live the life they wish they had lived through their children. It's no different really to the pushy parents who traipse up and down the country to force their kids to attend auditions for various dramatic productions regardless of talent. Although these kids are unlikely to meet serious injury through bursting into a poorly delivered version of Any Dream Will Do.

Its nothing to do with how i was brought up i had all the bikes and other things i wanted as a kid, i havent pushed him into anything he doesnt want to do, he asked for the quad for his birthday which was september and this is the first time he has been on it, im sure hes going to want to go out every weekend know though as his confidence came on no end on monday, He has asked for a 2 wheeler now also, might buy him onee and force him to race it once hes 6.

Dont take him up Sky Hill thats a stupid idea. Hes not allowed on greenway tracks as they are the same as the road need licence and insurance plus its over a mile till you get to the heather and theres nowhere open to allow him to ride.

you need to take him to private land the corner of a field and be very careful if the quad rolls he can get injured especially as it probably out weights him and has hot exhaust etc.

My friend has an electric trials bike for his 5yr old and nobles park is perfect as its silent and doesnt damage the ground, its also speed controlled.

I was thinking of getting him an oset aswel, a lad i know has his two lads them and said i can borrow one to try my young fella on it.

Whats wrong with using your own back garden?

After all, it gets you round having to have insurance and tax to ride it on public roads and tracks.

If i had a back garden he could use it but as its a 10ft x 20ft concrete yard it might be difficult.

Frankly, the idea of a 4 year old in control of a quad bike anywhere where other people might be encountered (and injured) is just crazy. Closed, private land then fine - you (the OP) are the child's parent and it is your decision.

You seriously underestimate how clever a 4 year old is and infact mine is one of the top in his class, he would probably pick things up alot faster than an adult with as much experience. What annoys me is young kids and horses, you always see under 10's riding along main roads, is this safe? At least with a motor vehicle the rider/driver is in charge and in my case have an emergency stop that i peronally control.

Can this child swim? Maybe you could do something traditional with him, like teaching him to swim (might even save his life one day) instead. Win win.

He loves swimming actually, better than i can aswel, it could also kill him aswel.