Bay Festival

woolley

AC/DC would sell out without a doubt. Still absolutely Massive. You don't do a world wide tour in 09 and have every gig sell out otherwise. Don't know why I'm debating this though as AC/DC on the IoM will never happen !

AC/DC played at the Lido circa 1977. Was a tad too young to go, but saw Motorhead and Uriah Heep a few years later at the Lido....oh and Saxon down at Port Erin in a large tent.

This Bay Festival seems a cock up as soon as the acts where named, one night of X Factor/Britains Got Talent, one night of retro and one night with a headline band that would have pulled in interest from all areas, seems reasonable, but there are 2 stages and the IoM can't support the amount of participation they are looking for.

Have it during TT week when there are more punters would have seemed commen sense.

As said in one post I read today, it seems there has been no research on what acts people would see on the Island and what price they would be prepared to pay.

To put the blame on the Manx public is out of order.

Considering this is the 3rd year they have made a cock up out of doing this is shamefull for anyone who has supported or sponsored these events without there being any accountability of those organising the event.

If there are major changes or cancellations then this means future acts will have second thoughts about coming to the Island.

Rant over

Poor ticket sales purely because it is so disjointed; look at the website and its hard to see what you are actually getting or not getting when you buy a ticket for a particular event. If they had just gone for some big names, say Elton John, Westlife and then perhaps a good rock act for the three nights, with a couple of support bands from late afternoon or whatever, and not pissed around with all the other crap then I have no doubt it would have sold out. Why have a big tent, why not have an open air festival?

Slippery slope now, if acts haven't already been paid I wouldn't mind betting there will be a few who will cut thier losses and just say they are not doing it, especially if there is a risk they wont be paid the full amount, and new punters thinking about going just wont bother.

Its nice though that the Irvings have used UK contractors for the bar services and security, and probably lots of other services that could have been sourced locally - so much for supporting local business eh?

Edited by Ringburner

Its nice though that the Irvings have used UK contractors for the bar services and security, and probably lots of other services that could have been sourced locally - so much for supporting local business eh?

Maybe local business know who the Irvings are? Would you work for them?

People are obviously not going to part with cash now to buy tickets

Trim the line up, and fill the event with free tickets.

The ones who have already paid wont grumble to much, probably happy that the event will go ahead.

the organisers at least make some money on the concessions, bar, food, merchandising (if its free people will be there all weekend buying stuff) Have a donations bucket so those on free tickets can make contributions if they feel its worth it.

A full house would make it a damn sight more attractive to the potential sponsors that the organisers are "speaking" with, rather than 20% full of people who are fucked of that the event has 10% of the advertised acts.

At least go out on a high, with a bit of dignity and learn from the whole thing.

other services that could have been sourced locally - so much for supporting local business eh?

Better to be outsourced I think if there's going to be lots of debts, I'd hate to see other local business go to the wall because of this disaster.

At the end of the day, Mr Irving is saying it's costing £1.5million to stage; even if all adults on the island (approx 60,000 people) attend with an average spend of £20 per ticket - they'd still only pull in £1.2million.

I think some, if not then many many, businesses and suppliers will end up out of pocket on this one.

Edited by Gagster

Poor ticket sales purely because it is so disjointed; look at the website and its hard to see what you are actually getting or not getting when you buy a ticket for a particular event. If they had just gone for some big names, say Elton John, Westlife and then perhaps a good rock act for the three nights, with a couple of support bands from late afternoon or whatever, and not pissed around with all the other crap then I have no doubt it would have sold out. Why have a big tent, why not have an open air festival?

Well normally you have the other stages at a festival because people want to see a variety of things, you might like three acts on the main stage and dislike 1 greatly. So you might watch a band on the main stage, then see a comedian, then a smaller band, before watching the headliner on the main stage. The problem with Bay seems to be it is forcing to choose the main stage or the outdoor stage so you can't flit between the two. So imagine you have a family kids want to see 2 acts on the main stage, parents the comedians or the retro bands on the other. They'd be forced to choose that'd be 2 acts only 2 of them like - hardly value for money.

In trying to have something for everybody, they've ended up with not quite enough for anybody.

At the end of the day, Mr Irving is saying it's costing £1.5million to stage; even if all adults on the island (approx 60,000 people) attend with an average spend of £20 per ticket - they'd still only pull in £1.2million.

Factor in those with no interest in this, the aged etc. and he'll be lucky - very luck to pull in 500k.

I can only hope that local businesses are too savvy to do owt for Irving.

invings should take a look at sleazy jet them and reduce the costs of the tickets

its better to have a full aircraft 3 days a week than 6 half empty ones costing money

and he calls himself a buisness man?

he should aim the festival at the locals and not the millionaiirs who come overs

At the end of the day, Mr Irving is saying it's costing £1.5million to stage; even if all adults on the island (approx 60,000 people) attend with an average spend of £20 per ticket - they'd still only pull in £1.2l million.

I think some, if not then many many, businesses and suppliers will end up out of pocket on this one.

Which is why events like these need VIP tickets and sponsorship. It's not unusual for the bulk of the customers to pay below cost.

Agree that this event seems poorly costed out though.

It was daft not to put it on in TT week and gear the acts to the biker crowd. I went to The Who when they put it on in Peel a few years ago during TT week and it was packed out despite the exorbidant ticket prices.

The only way to get people to travel over specifically would be to put on something that they couldn't get anywhere else. A full length Pink Floyd reunion gig would be nice, for example :)