Seagull Problem

wrighty

Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of a seagull.

It was a nuisance last year around this time - landing on a window sill and pecking at its reflection from first light, crapping all over the place etc. I'm sure it's mating season behaviour where it's trying to fight off its reflection thinking it's a competitor.

It's back again this year - no I can't prove it's the same one but would seem reasonably likely - and this time it's doing its best to wreck my car by pecking and scratching at its reflection there. It's got to go.

I'm not interested in replies from gull sympathizers telling me it's got a right to behave like this, or that it's a Manx gull and if I don't like it there's a boat in the morning, just practical suggestions to solve the problem.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of a seagull.

It was a nuisance last year around this time - landing on a window sill and pecking at its reflection from first light, crapping all over the place etc. I'm sure it's mating season behaviour where it's trying to fight off its reflection thinking it's a competitor.

It's back again this year - no I can't prove it's the same one but would seem reasonably likely - and this time it's doing its best to wreck my car by pecking and scratching at its reflection there. It's got to go.

I'm not interested in replies from gull sympathizers telling me it's got a right to behave like this, or that it's a Manx gull and if I don't like it there's a boat in the morning, just practical suggestions to solve the problem.

Bird Spikes link

Have you tried dressing up your car as a lion? Even if its fearsome new appearence fails to spook the bird, the fuzzy felt (available in sufficient quantities at all good car disguise boutiques) should protect the car's paintwork. Caution should be exercised, however, as the car may then come to think it's a lion and disappear in pursuit of a magical adventure, also known as the 'Mr Ben Effect'.

Alternatively, you could take an afternoon off and spend it roaring at the Gull, piss drunk, in an attempt to undermine its self confidence and send it packing.

Edited by VinnieK

Have you tried dressing up your car as a lion? Even if its fearsome new appearence fails to spook the bird, the fuzzy felt (available in sufficient quantities at all good car disguise boutiques) should protect the car's paintwork. Caution should be exercised, however, as the car may then come to think it's a lion and disappear in pursuit of a magical adventure, also known as the 'Mr Ben Effect'.

Alternatively, you could take an afternoon off and spend it roaring at the Gull, piss drunk, in an attempt to undermine its self confidence and send it packing.

Started early today Vinnie?

I have considered getting a life-size model of a golden eagle or something, as that has been known to work, but other sites say that the gull will soon realise it's made of plastic and ignore it. I tried trapping it last year but the git seemed to know what was going on and wouldn't fall for it. I really think I need a terminal solution along the lines of calcium carbide (but don't know where to get any) or a gun of some sort.

I may try the spikes on the roof thing, but I'm not putting spikes on my car!

I have considered getting a life-size model of a golden eagle or something, as that has been known to work, but other sites say that the gull will soon realise it's made of plastic and ignore it. I tried trapping it last year but the git seemed to know what was going on and wouldn't fall for it. I really think I need a terminal solution along the lines of calcium carbide (but don't know where to get any) or a gun of some sort.

I may try the spikes on the roof thing, but I'm not putting spikes on my car!

Steady now. I know you don't want to hear the gull sympathiser argument, but causing an animal an immense amount of pain (the calcium carbide route) for the sake of your paintwork would surely be a bit dickish, not to mention that killing them is illegal.

The thing's there because it's mating season, so you probably have four realistic options:

1. Find out where the nest is and request the council move it (you're not allowed to do so yourself).

2. Get a dog, or better a cat who can prowl around.

3. Get a car cover/tarpaulin to drape over your car when not in use - 30 quid, and a couple of minutes to put it in place and remove it during mating season, with the added bonus that you protect the car from the usual detritus and grime that's likely to build up.

4. Try and scare it off. The big placcy eagle might be a bit expensive, especially if it doesn't actually work, but looking around it seems that pictures of a big ass cat or an owl stuck in the window seems to be a popular remedy

Edited by VinnieK

Get a plastic owl on a stick and put it by the car.

Print out a picture of an owl from the tinternet and put it in your window.

This works for cats - It may work for seagulls.

Edited by x-in-man

What Vinnie says makes a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand you might find it usefull to engage a good Seagull whiperer.

Seagull Whispering.

Some, though not all, natural seagull whisperer practitioners adopt the nickname "seagull whisperer" to describe their practices. However, the history of modern natural seagull whispering has different origins, centered on the Douglas Prom than did "seagull whispering," which has it’s roots in the British Isles and outer Hebrides .The concept and term "seagull whispering" dates back to the early nineteenth century when a Manx whisperer Orry the Skeet (d. 1810), made a name for himself in England by rehabilitating seagulls that had become vicious and intractable due to abuse or accidental trauma. Orry kept his methods secret, but people who managed to observe him noticed that he would stand face to face with the troubled seagull. They seemed to think that he must be saying something to the seagull in a way the seagull could understand and accept because the seagulls were quickly gentled by his mysterious techniques.

The most severely traumatized seagulls were salvaged by the methods Orry originated.

Quotes from Orry include the following:

"I've soothed seagulls since I was 12 years old and have been bit, kicked, pissed off and trampled. I've tried every physical means to contain my seagull in an effort to keep from getting myself killed. I started to realize that things would come much easier for me once I learned why a seagull does what he does.

The thing you are trying to help the seagull do is to use his own mind. You are trying to present something and then let him figure out how to get there.”

So there you are then....

Check with DEFA as I believe that Seaguls have been re-classified and are therefore not protected.

Check with DEFA first though as this is just heresay.

Last year we had the ratcatcher round about the problem, and he advised us to trap it somehow - like I said the gull seemed too smart to fall for it, but I tried. He also said he could shoot it, but wasn't allowed to as part of his job. He seemed to indicate however that it wasn't illegal to get rid of them, just their nests/eggs. So I don't think they're protected species as such, but they're not quite classified as vermin either.

I'm going to try the picture of an owl/hawk/eagle and will report back later.