Barcelona 3, Man Utd 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barcelona - missed the first 20 minutes, but in the rest of the game I saw them pass the ball longer than 5 yards on only two occasions, and nothing longer than 15 yards.

Also, the ball never left the ground, except once. Always on the deck to feet a few yards away.

On the few occasions United had the ball, they pumped long balls forward, they pumped high balls forward, and nearly always lost possession again.

To keep playing 5 yard triangles at that intensity, you need players to work hard to always be in the right place to support, and you need a high level of technique - including in particular instant ball control.

The only player United had who had those skills, Berbatov, was not even on the bench. The English game, despite the number of foreign players, is way behind, and the England team will NEVER come close to winning anything - until coaching and technique change radically.

And it looked so simple. No hustle, bustle, rush or 90 mph headlessness.

Headlessness - a new word for you all.

Could you imagine how boring the game would become if all teams started playing like that, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass tackle pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass tackle...bloody hell I'd top myself

Could you imagine how boring the game would become if all teams started playing like that, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass tackle pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass tackle...bloody hell I'd top myself

You seem to have missed score.

Kenny Dagleish is thrilled that Swansea have been promoted to the Premier League as it means Liverpool get to play in another country next season after all…

You seem to have missed score.

That's the whole point, it'd be stalemate because all teams would play possession

However the number nineteen seems to be important at the moment - it's the 19th season of the Premiership, it's the 19th consecutive season where Liverpool have failed to win the Premiership, Man U have now been League Champions for a record 19 times and they got nineteen touches of the ball against Barcelona.

:lol:

What an amazing coincidence![/font]

"Weak" is being generous...

The facts, like truth in anything, are unassailable. Ferguson once stated that "My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch" - well, "Job Done" sticker without a doubt...

These days the Ambulance Shakers, with rather an air of desperation I have to say, try and puff themselves up by claiming that Man U view them as their greatest rivals. Unfortunately reality intervenes with the last League Title being won by Liverpool way, way, way back in 1990. Before the Prem was even formed ffs! Man U, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal's greatest rivals are now the best in Europe, as proved conclusively by Barca. Hopefully mid-table teams with tradition like Liverpool can achieve against the big-boys, as Arsenal have been amazingly successful despite Wenger's frugality. So maybe, just maybe, it's not just all about the money. I certainly hope so.

Despite that my predictions for the 2012 finish are Man City, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton.

However the number nineteen seems to be important at the moment - it's the 19th season of the Premiership, it's the 19th consecutive season where Liverpool have failed to win the Premiership, Man U have now been League Champions for a record 19 times and they got nineteen touches of the ball against Barcelona.

What an amazing coincidence![/font]

The facts, like truth in anything, are unassailable. Ferguson once stated that "My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch" - well, "Job Done" sticker without a doubt...

These days the Ambulance Shakers, with rather an air of desperation I have to say, try and puff themselves up by claiming that Man U view them as their greatest rivals. Unfortunately reality intervenes with the last League Title being won by Liverpool way, way, way back in 1990. Before the Prem was even formed ffs! Man U, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal's greatest rivals are now the best in Europe, as proved conclusively by Barca. Hopefully mid-table teams with tradition like Liverpool can achieve against the big-boys, as Arsenal have been amazingly successful despite Wenger's frugality. So maybe, just maybe, it's not just all about the money. I certainly hope so.

Despite that my predictions for the 2012 finish are Man City, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton.

Oh dear Man Utd have to be better than this year surely ?? Man Utd Man City Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal A N Other. Everton and Spurs you are having a laugh !!

The scary thing for English football is that United were poor this season and still won the premiership by 9 points, what chance is there for the rest?

OK, give Fergie £250M to spend and who's he going to be able to buy to start catching Barca

That game last night was a bitter disappointment as a United follower, but I have to say Barca probably played what could possibly be said the most perfect game of football ever seen - that's scary, they don't look like being beaten in Europe any time soon...but football's a funny old game

...hopefully

To be fair though, Spain only really has two teams. Barca/Real negotiate their own TV deals, and so the top La Liga teams get 12.5 times the amount the bottom teams get. To put that in perspective, the top PL team last season earnt 1.54 times more than the bottom teams earnt (on TV/PL winnings). It's a credit to the Premier League to be so competitive in Europe (4 of top 8), even with a relatively equal financial playing field domestically (not including the big money injections from owners).

These days the Ambulance Shakers, with rather an air of desperation I have to say, try and puff themselves up by claiming that Man U view them as their greatest rivals. Unfortunately reality intervenes with the last League Title being won by Liverpool way, way, way back in 1990.

As a Man U supporter, however, you still seem obsessed with them. Personally, I have no interest in either - the team I support currently languishing in the Blue Square Premier. (Perhaps you can lend us one of your referees to help us out?)

Edited by Lonan3

As a Man U supporter, however, you still seem obsessed with them. Personally, I have no interest in either - the team I support currently languishing in the Blue Square Premier. (Perhaps you can lend us one of your referees to help us out?)

How many times does it have to be said??? Howard Webb is NOT for sale!

I actually watched the great Norbert Stiles play against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road in a very scrappy match back in the late seventies I think it was. How I came to be there I simply can't recall. I suspect an alcohol overdose had a lot to do with it...

Not obsessed with the Ambulance Shakers, but my partners 15 yo is! Hence my viewing them as an easy target. We have actually managed to get him a half-share in a season ticket - quite amazing really as they're as rare as rocking-horse shit! So I have a lot of fun teasing him on the so-called "qualities" of their serial diving cheat of a captain Speedo Gerrard plus their recent fall from grace. All in good fun, unlike the tribal atmosphere that emanates from the stands during a game. The upset when we wouldn't allow him to go to Istanbul was like an exchange of fire! Although at the moment his current major concern is over his contract after the loss of his manager Keith Hill to Barnsley. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.