Tonights Sidecar Practise Red Flagged

ManxTaxPayer

If the TT is to survive it needs to present a certain image to the general public. I am not sure that having pensioners participate, especially if partially sighted as suggested, does much to convey that the TT is an elite sport only for the very best rather that just a an event where the criteria to partake is being "mad" enough not good enough

That's a bit unfair I think, this driver and passenger were clearly up to the job and could fairly be described as among the best.

They may have clearly been up to the job, they have been the best in the field. But I am trying to try and address this from the point of an outsider looking in. The outsiders who the TT needs to have support it if it is to continue

I am not a supporter of the TT but I appreciate that many are. To try and "preserve" its place and argue back against people like me who are not supporters it endeavours to position it as an elite event and I do not think it that the world in general would match up elite motor sport events with 67 year old competitors. As I said the competitor may have been very good but I am not sure that having pensioners racing, no matter how good, really gives the TT the image to the general public that it appears to be trying to portray.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define capability.

Capability = As decided by racing officials, those who insured them, those who issued a clean bill of health (medical) and by those racing alongside (would you ride maxed out with someone considered a 'liability')

But lets wait for the report into what happened shall we?

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying here but I hope you are not suggesting that Bill & Kev were not capable or fit to be racing the TT. They met all the criteria for racing the TT, were passed (as all riders are) medically fit and I would happily go barreling into a corner at 14omph wheel to wheel with them. Just because they were older than what people see fit to be the norm for racing does not mean they were passed their best. Bill set his fastest laps last year and if you care to look at the timings I think you will find we was averaging 109mph to Ballaugh.

They were both faster, safer and more talented than I ever was.

As I have said before, a massive loss to the Sidecar Family. All the lads in the paddock liked and respected them.

have to agree,

i know a couple of people, and there both around 66 years of age, and they work harder and are fitter than the 20s something lads on the same job.

Its quite embrassing really to see these old boys working there socks off when the 20 year old next to them is taking a rest cause hes fooked.

they passed the fitness test so that should be the end of it

If the TT is to survive it needs to present a certain image to the general public. I am not sure that having pensioners participate, especially if partially sighted as suggested, does much to convey that the TT is an elite sport only for the

very best rather that just a an event where the criteria to partake is being "mad" enough not good enough

That's a bit unfair I think, this driver and passenger were clearly up to the job and could fairly be described as among the best.

They may have clearly been up to the job, they have been the best in the field. But I am trying to try and address this

from the point of an outsider looking in. The outsiders who the TT needs to have support it if it is to continue

I am not a supporter of the TT but I appreciate that many are. To try and "preserve" its place and argue back against people like me who are not supporters it endeavours to position it as an elite event and I do not think it that the

world in general would match up elite motor sport events with 67 year old competitors. As I said the competitor may have been very good but I am not sure that having pensioners racing, no matter how good, really gives the TT the image to the general public that it appears to be trying to portray.

With all due respect that is a load of twaddle! So their age only becomes an issue in death?! It's a peoples race for the people! Next you will be saying women shouldn't be allowed!

As some-one who has no interest in the TT Races I would like to state how saddened I am at what has happened but If people want to race then please let them...

Edited by SJR

If the TT is to survive it needs to present a certain image to the general public. I am not sure that having pensioners participate, especially if partially sighted as suggested, does much to convey that the TT is an elite sport only for the

very best rather that just a an event where the criteria to partake is being "mad" enough not good enough

They may have clearly been up to the job, they have been the best in the field. But I am trying to try and address this

from the point of an outsider looking in. The outsiders who the TT needs to have support it if it is to continue

I am not a supporter of the TT but I appreciate that many are. To try and "preserve" its place and argue back against people like me who are not supporters it endeavours to position it as an elite event and I do not think it that the

world in general would match up elite motor sport events with 67 year old competitors. As I said the competitor may have been very good but I am not sure that having pensioners racing, no matter how good, really gives the TT the image to the general public that it appears to be trying to portray.

With all due respect that is a load of twaddle! So their age only becomes an issue in death?! It's a peoples race for the people! Next you will be saying women shouldn't be allowed!

i can see where the idea comes from, you don't send dads army to iraq.

i can see where the idea comes from, you don't send dads army to iraq.

Ha ha! There is something to be said for experience! Seriously though are we really saying that is ok for young men to choose to race a life risking race but older racers

who have raced many TTs and have gained experience should be stopped? Surely fit to race is fit to race regardless of age or gender.

As I said the competitor may have been very good but I am not sure that having pensioners racing, no matter how good, really gives the TT the image to the general public that it appears to be trying to portray.

You'll have to take that up with the marketing people, it simply sounds ageist to me! It could be argued that they had a better innings than many who get killed over here and maybe there should be a minimum age limit. Perhaps 70. Or 75.

i know a couple of people, and there both around 66 years of age, and they work harder and are fitter than the 20s something lads on the same job.

Its quite embrassing really to see these old boys working there socks off when the 20 year old next to them is taking a rest cause hes fooked.

they passed the fitness test so that should be the end of it

I am not knocking there abilities, neither do I think Chinahand was in his post. It was more to do with questioning how having riders of such an age, it what many of the public would see as a young persons, effects the impression of that event being an elite event. I like sport in general although I am not a TT fan and I am struggling to think of many sports where at an elite level pensioners can compete with under 30's. Maybe events which many may not view as physically demanding but I understand the TT is.

Hearing about pensioners race etc in the TT basically deminishes in my eyes the event straight off, just as it would if I heard of pensioners competing in a football tournament, a tennis tournament or whatever event. If I heard that I would no longer view the event as being an elite event but at several levels lower. I am not saying those involved are not any good just that they are not at the top level.

The TT I understand wants to see itself as being at the pinacle of motor sports and sells itself as a world class event. That may be true but I wonder how many on hearing pensioners are involved as racers would straight away, whether fairly or not, immediatly see it as being something of lesser quality. Basicaly it is a question of what is the TT trying to present itself as, and if it is as an elite event does having pensioners race help it meet that brand image.

It is also a question I ask when I see Racers being lapped in what are 6 lap racers. Does having riders racing who are not even within 15% of the best riders really give the impression that it is an elite event. To be it does not and I think at times there appears to be a struggle in deciding whether the event is positioned as an elite event or an all inclusive event open to anyone to participate. I do not think you you can be both and if you want to drive forward it needs a clear vision.

I

Guys here's the secret the government don't tell you.

They don't put guns to people's heads and make them compete. The riders know the risks and know the possibility they could die. As long as people still want to compete there will be a TT and rightly so. It is a great event and brings the Island to life for a couple of weeks.

Well as long as everyone is having a good time and the money is rolling.....

I really do worry about some of the pro-TT bunch.

One death is too many, two so far and we are only a few days in, not to mention the crashs/incidents so far.

No age does not only becomes an issue at death. It just happens to come to the surface then.

As I say in a later post if the TT wants to potray itself as a peoples race at which anyone can have a go then such matters are not important. Basically it is aeeling itself as an event for very good racing enthusiasts who want to have a bit of fun but not for "serious" top level sportsman.

If it wants to portray itself as an elite event at which the top level riders compete then I am not sure such competitors help to sell that image, even if they are the best in the game, as the general impression of the public is that top level sports people are young!

Whatever we think of that site (which is not mine ffs but I am a member on it) that is the 3rd story they have broken first ahead of any other, the bay festival being one of the others, the third escapes me right now.

Sure it isn't. You must think we're all stupid and I really don't like it when people do that. As to 'breaking stories' - that's done by the news media, of which your eye cancer inducing pile of html is not part of. Also great back-paddling on the bay festival story.

The piece you posted about the incident made my blood boil - it's exactly the kind of rumour mill stuff nobody needs and many work hard to avoid. Well done Mr Wannabe Journalist.

Any more link-spamming and your posting career here will be very short. Cut it, last warning.

As I said the competitor may have been very good but I am not sure that having pensioners racing, no matter how good, really gives the TT the image to the general public that it appears to be trying to portray.

You'll have to take that up with the marketing people, it simply sounds ageist to me! It could be argued that they had a better innings than many who get killed over here and maybe there should be a minimum age limit. Perhaps 70. Or 75.

I have to admit when I hear the fatatilities do not relate to "young" riders with young families I am not exactly happy but I do think well at least they had a decent innings and have not left a widow to bring up young kids on there own.

As for it being a martketing point. It probably is but only to the extent that most events do not exists in a bubble unaffected by outside pressures. I would have thought that getting the general public to see the event as a race for the elite would have been better for selling the TT to the public and continueing to secure its long term future.

I don't think the likes of Rossi et al give the TT a miss because they're up against pensioners. I think it's because of the walls and trees. And their lack of faith in their own ability to avoid them.

well said.

the fact hes been raceing here since 1969, shows that he could mix it with the rest.

im more amazeed at the passanger, he must have been one fit feller to do it at his age. because as pillion thats one hard ass job to do

Edited by gazza