Tonights Sidecar Practise Red Flagged

ManxTaxPayer

Energy are now reporting that another competitors sidecar outfit has been impounded by the police for investigation with oil being a possible cause, that outfit was missing from

Tonights session

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall David Jefferies being interviewed on the start line one TT. He said that every single rider is fully aware of the risks involved and all know that they may be seriously injured or even worse on the course. Not a single person racing off down Bray Hill has been forced to do it - they have decided to do it themselves. That was the year that David Jefferies died at Crosby after crashing.

And that's your idea of a justification/reccomendation, is it?

im more amazeed at the passanger, he must have been one fit feller to do it at his age. because as pillion thats one hard ass job to do

Oh I dunno, Dave Wells and Dicky Gale claim to move as little as possible. I have been behind Dicky when he used to ride with Lars going through Westwood on the way into KM. I was hanging out for the left and he was laying down. I never was brave enough to try it.

I don't want to dwell on the reasons why or how it happened, that is for the investigation, however IF it was oil from another outfit you can be certain that driver would not have known. Firstly they have catch trays with absorbent materials in for the event of a catastrophic engine failure and secondly, I can't think of any driver that would want to continue knowing they are dropping oil, afterall that can spell disaster for any one of them.

Also IF it was oil, again I can't see that anyone should point fingers at the Marshals. If there was no sign of smoke and nothing mega obvious coming form a bike and nothing glaringly obvious on the road they it would be unfair to point a finger. Marshals normally spot something and raido ahead to the next point to have that rider observed if they suspect anything wrong at all.

I know in 2004 I was racing and we got to Greeba Bridge, I got out for the left and my foot slipped in the fuel tank. I looked and saw nothing. As we approached Ballacraine and hit the brakes the engine leg go in the biggest way possible. We pulled into the gateway and Herbie Kermeens farm and and then along with the marshals, which included my dad and sister, checked the road for oil. Thankfully the contents remained in the catch tray and our boots.

Energy are now reporting that another competitors sidecar outfit has been impounded by the police for investigation with oil being a possible cause, that outfit was missing from

Tonights session

totaly wrong to be honest,

IF it was loseing oil then im sure as hell they can look over the bike in the day and still let them carry on in the races,

these things happin and its no fault of the rider IF his bike lost oil, and he should not be stopped from entering the rest of the races just because they cant look over a bike in under 12 hours.

I just hope that IF it was this bike that lost oil on the road and caused the problem, That no libailty is put on the riders of this outfit, for that would be the final nail in the coffin for the TT, where riders are on mansulater chargers for something they know northing about or have no control over.

But knowing the way the world works these days, and where somebody has to take the blame, i would not put it past them,

its raceing and as sad as these things are when they happin, its part of it and it happins from time to time,

Edited by gazza

I recall David Jefferies being interviewed on the start line one TT. He said that every single rider is fully aware of the risks involved and all know that they may be seriously injured or even worse on the course. Not a single person racing off down Bray Hill has been forced to do it - they have decided to do it themselves. That was the year that David Jefferies died at Crosby after crashing.

And that's your idea of a justification/reccomendation, is it?

I would venture to suggest Jonny that it was David Jefferies justification of his taking part in road racing. Dave was a great rider and will be remembered with a great deal of affection by his many friends and fans. In previous posts you have made it clear of your opposition to the TT/MGP and have made spurious claims of your concerns for the families of riders(who you claim were personal friends) who were involved it road racing accidents. My sympathies and thoughts are with the families of the riders and now is not the time for anyone to prejudge the circumstances of the accident.

I don't even understand where the police have juristiction over a race meeting on a closed circuit, if mechanical failure of one vehicle unfortunately caused another vehicle to crash, that is a matter for the clerk of the course isn't it?

I don't even understand where the police have juristiction over a race meeting on a closed circuit, if mechanical failure of one vehicle unfortunately caused another vehicle to crash, that is a matter for the clerk of the course isn't it?

haveent a clue,

but im sure because of the deaths it becomes a police matter if they deem it is needed,

john write is prob the man to know

only been on the island for a few years and the first time i saw these fellas i thought wow look at the age of these two i thought they were brilliant,they were the real deal proper tt riders .what the tt is all about! i was at the grand stand and you dont need the radio to say anything you can usually gauge the seriousness of the accident by the pit lane,they all lose their smiles and the talking stops as they get telephone calls from the other riders out on the course.age wasnt a issue with these guys,like old footballers, what they lost in speed they made up in knowlegde .RIP to the old timers

After the 26th incident, the Coroner of Inquests (then Michael Moyle) wrote a set of guidelines concerning motorsport deaths on the island which was accepted by all clubs and the Police. These guidelines explains when the Police would get involved.

I understand that if it is just one rider who by initial accounts has had a racing accident resulting in their death, then the race organisers will deal with it. If the incident (subsequently resulting in the death of a rider) appears to have been caused by a 3rd party, or serious injury or death is caused to more than one person, a marshal or spectator, then the Police will automatically investigate it. They have the skills and resources to fully examine the accident scene, plus gather evidence such as videos, photos and statements from all witnesses. They are basically acting on behalf of the Coroner of Inquests.

Edited by andrew

The rumour making it's rounds down my end is that the riders of #5 knew about the leaking oil but failed to stop. The marshalls also should have seen the leakey oil and flagged the race so it's fully understandable why police would get involved, that is, if it's true.

This incident seems to have echoes of David Jefferies accident.

No-one can say what happened until the inquest has been completed but it's worth noting one thing

Oil does not kill, it's the walls and banks and telegraph poles and other obstacles that does that

so it's fully understandable why police would get involved.

Surely the police, acting as coroner's officers, get involved in all violent or unexpected deaths? There job is to gather evidence of identification and reason/cause of death. The police being involed doesn't imply anything untoward.