Police Facebook And Twitter

Like the idea of using twitter and facebook to give updates - especially at TT where up-to-date information is otherwise somewhat lacking. However, regarding the twitter updates, please can the information not link directly to facebook??

I've been checking the twitter at work where access to facebook is blocked. The twitter only shows part of the sentance, and the rest missing is then only found within facebook via the link.

@iompolice

Isle of Man Police

Traffic Information; Traffic is now flowing freely on the Snaefell Mountain Road. Police request that motorists... http://fb.me/Sqn3WDoz

Could there be another way of showing the information rather than through the link to facebook? :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek,

I've only just got into Twitter this week but have found the updated info a great help. I hope the force will continue to use Facebook & Twitter particularly on any major event when traffic could be an issue.

There are other major events?!

It could be a major event where there is an r.t.a. or other incident that disrupts traffic, not just an organised event.

I think every morning they should tweet, "Hello, hello, hello".

We have seen one fatality and another very serious accident at off course 'S' bands this year, could it be that visitors who are not familiar with the roads miss any warning signs, they only see a right or left bend coming up, go in too fast and realise too late thay they cannot safely negotiate the second bend, would larger temporary warning signs help especially at known off course danger spots?

DJ Dan - we try and keep the messages short. They are put on to Facebook first, and Facebook feeds Twitter. If we keep them under 140 characters then you get the full hit on Twitter. The longer ones put a link in back to Facebook. I agree it isn't ideal, but, as of today, there are 3100 Facebook followers and 859 on Twitter.

Derek,

I've only just got into Twitter this week but have found the updated info a great help. I hope the force will continue to use Facebook & Twitter particularly on any major event when traffic could be an issue.

Manx National Rally & Rally Isle of Man spring to mind with road closing and opening at various times, also the MGP

DJ Dan - we try and keep the messages short. They are put on to Facebook first, and Facebook feeds Twitter. If we keep them under 140 characters then you get the full hit on Twitter. The longer ones put a link in back to Facebook. I agree it isn't ideal, but, as of today, there are 3100 Facebook followers and 859 on Twitter.

Ah right. See I have no idea how twitter works.. but I have been tracking your page for updates.

Thanks again, and hope you keep it going long term.

[quote name='Derek Flint' timestamp='1307560295' post=

I agree it isn't ideal, but, as of today, there are 3100 Facebook followers and 859 on Twitter.

Why on earth would 3,100 people want to follow the IoM Police on Facebook? Are they just trying to find out when your all on holiday so they can do a bit of robbing?

Edited by oldmanxfella

Well perhaps if we have over 3000 robberies on the island in the next year we'll know the answer to that. To be fair though it's probably more accurate that most of the BS you've posted tonight. Well done Derek for actually being arsed enough to do something that might help people out, an all too rare thought amoungst civil servants these days.

We have seen one fatality and another very serious accident at off course 'S' bands this year, could it be that visitors who are not familiar with the roads miss any warning signs, they only see a right or left bend coming up, go in too fast and realise too late thay they cannot safely negotiate the second bend, would larger temporary warning signs help especially at known off course danger spots?

I wrote to the Road Safety officer earlier in the year about a dangerous junction and suggested a temporary 'slow down' sign during TT - but nothing back except an acknowledgement. The Commissioners also wrote but same lack of feedback. Maybe if a vehicle wipes me out at that junction at least my hubby might be able to sue!!

I wrote to the Road Safety officer earlier in the year about a dangerous junction and suggested a temporary 'slow down' sign during TT - but nothing back except an acknowledgement. The Commissioners also wrote but same lack of feedback. Maybe if a vehicle wipes me out at that junction at least my hubby might be able to sue!!

Yeah compensation fixes everything.

Hi Mr Flint/ Sir/Derek/Flintski?

Your tweets are okay but I am finding it difficult to keep the laptop steady on the dashboard.

I find it difficult to understand how people need guidance from Doolish to Rhumsaa (or for that matter geographical know how of the few roads on the Island) when the roads are closed as there is only one way out if you need to go to the top of the Island under road closure. It is not a full on criticism but we are only a wee Island of small road miles and it is a sad reflection on those of us whom drive around said roads that we are to receive guidence where common sense should really prevail.

If this is the type of service the people feel is a necessity then fair play, not my cup of char but hey ho.

Never the less as I do not visit the smoke that often in the evening (daytime yes), perhaps an odd tweet or two could let myself and my beloved know what sections of Doolish promenade to avoid in the ensuing months and years.

Kind Regards

williejohndaly