Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Point is if you stuff a car at 50-60mph on the manx roads you should not be driving them

I normally enjoy your posts, gazza - but that is pure bullshit.

Point is if you stuff a car at 50-60mph on the manx roads you should not be driving them

I normally enjoy your posts, gazza - but that is pure bullshit.

hmm i dont seam the sarcastic face there :huh:

i dont think it is pure bullshit, i know plenty of people that have managed for years driving at 50-60mph, to be honest even faster on roads without a speed limit with out ever crshing on them.

hell i can hit 80 most nights on the way home from work if i chosse too and if the road is clear. (price of fuel these days i dont) and most roads over here can be drivin safely at 60-70mph in places.

and to be honest what the hell is the point of a nat speed limit anyways. i know of a road that is 50mph. i have no idea why it is anyways pointless. but do they do 50mph nope, does it stop them crashing at the normal 200 yards of road nope, do the cops ever pull anyone there, emm 1 or 2 over the year, anyone that uses the road will know where they stand so they tend to slow down for that part just incase.

and the place that cars keep crashing at you can take that cornor at around 100mph and make it around no problem at all (before it had a speed limit on it), both up and down, its not the speed that is the fault its the driver behind the wheel that is a fault.

The moment ypu have a crash at speed your getting charged with dangours driving these days, so would not be a bigger charge on you for it.

Edited by gazza

take the junction of at tebay going over the tops, thats an A road and its got some hellish bends tight sports on it, not to mention blind dips, so you really talking out of your ass.

This one?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tebay&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=54.306709,-2.725639&sspn=0.136211,0.338173&st=105250506097979753968&rq=1&ev=zo&split=1&radius=8.18&hq=tebay&hnear=&ll=54.341949,-2.773705&spn=0,0.338173&z=12&layer=c&cbll=54.342368,-2.77399&panoid=F5v8bK0KHrgRQdU-06lHuQ&cbp=12,342.46,,0,-2.56

I know its only indirectly related, but yesterday I nearly succumbed to road rage at zero MPH twice in one day

Junction Victoria Street and Prom turning left along prom; it is a filter lane, not a give way. 3 minutes the car ahead stopped and would not move. That was lunch time. Why cannot drivers pull forward and merge. There is no give way sign. It clearly needs better road markings and a sign , for both sets of drivers, one saying traffic merging from left before the junction and one in the tail end of Victoria Street saying traffic merging from right.

At 6pm I was driving down Church Street Marina and turning left in front of the Sefton, car ahead of me just stopped and waited, and waited and waited. It is a wholly separate lane, not a filter. The filter /merge does not start until a short distance before the right hand turn to go back up the prom. There is a solid white area, not just a line to demarcate the separate lanes, then a solid line If you are going to go straight ahead at the Broadway traffic lights you have several hundred yards to drive in the left lane and pull over into the right lane. What is prohibited by the lane markings is to pull over to the right lane immediately. after 2 minutes I used my horn, 4 times, no movement. I waited 4 minutes, which seemed like a life time. I was about to get out and give the driver a piece of advice when there was a lull in the traffic from the promenade on the fright and he pulled forward, crossed the solid white lines demarcating the lanes and tootled along the right hand lane. I pulled forward in the the left hand lane and by the Villa entrance the idiot pulled from the right into the left hand lane without indicating and caused me to have to brake. He then turned up Broadway/

OK he may have changed his mind, but what terrible driving. Local car.

• Like 1

Having spent many years arguing on here against a speed limit, after a great deal of further thought I am now bordering on favouring a National Speed Limit - and think we should have one - and that it should be set at one million MPH.

In my experience of driving in the UK over the last 20 years, the introduction of speed cameras has had a massively noticeable effect on the speed people drive on the motorways.

Then that proves that speed cameras have no effect, as there are no speed cameras on motorways except in the situation where a reduced limit has been introduced due to roadworks etc. Even those are generally switched off, or just flash but with no resulting fine.

In my experience of driving in the UK over the last 20 years, the introduction of speed cameras has had a massively noticeable effect on the speed people drive on the motorways.

Then that proves that speed cameras have no effect, as there are no speed cameras on motorways except in the situation where a reduced limit has been introduced due to roadworks etc. Even those are generally switched off, or just flash but with no resulting fine.

from a UK govt web site

"As you drive on motorways and trunk roads in England, your car may be photographed by a variety of cameras and filmed by CCTV. Find out about the different types of cameras, what they are used for and what happens to the images."

Why do you keep making things up cambon and calling them facts -every time it totally discredits your arguement

from a UK govt web site

"As you drive on motorways and trunk roads in England, your car may be photographed by a variety of cameras and filmed by CCTV. Find out about the different types of cameras, what they are used for and what happens to the images."

Why do you keep making things up cambon and calling them facts -every time it totally discredits your arguement

...And the uk government always tell the truth do they? By saying shit like that on their websites, it may actually freighten people into slowing down. Just like putting a sticker in your car saying it has an alarm may make a thief think twice before attempting to steal it. Motorways do not have speed cameras. End of.

Cambwrong strikes again! He just makes stuff up, time and time again.

Not only are there thousands of cameras on motorways, you can prove it by looking through them here:

http://www.trafficengland.com/motorwayflow.aspx#mtf

He is actually correct. There are no fine issuing cameras on Motorways outside of temporary roadworks restrictions and permanent traffic management areas where flxible speed limits may be employed. Other cameras for monitoring and management purposes are however abundant.

Edit to add: This doesn't take into account that the police are quite within their rights to set up speed traps on bridges. Usually with radio contact with an unmarked patrol car to pull over offenders between a couple of junctions or occasionally with a mobile camera unit.

Edited by BigDave

Cameras whether fine producing or otherwise are not the arguement here. Especially as we have no motorways on the Island.The debate is about speed limits and the UK motorways DO have a speed limit (which may well be raised to 80mph in the near future --although the govt have already accepted that this will lead to a rise in fatalities on motorways, unless they can find some other way of reducing them )and UK motorways are I understand the safest in Europe in terms of deaths per thousand miles driven.

In the UK they also want to reduce the speed limits on most rural roads from 60 to 50 to increase safety.

The UK has for decades been in the top 3 safest countries in the world when it comes to crash deaths so theirs is not a poor example to follow if you are interested at all in safety and saving lives.

Outside of the TT period,there are so few people who like to drive fast,so a national speed limit would not solve the problem of apalling driving standards in general.As has been said before,many locals drive at 40mph everywhere,particularly in 30mph zones and nothing seems to be done about them.Surely they are more of a danger to other road users and pedestrians than a competent driver doing 70+ on a clear,unlimited road? Today,a truck overloaded with rubble,pulled out in front of me from Glen Auldyn onto the TT course and headed towards Sulby at 50+ mph.It was not safe to drive behind it as, over the bumps the load looked unsafe.That stretch of road is 50mph for all vehicles,let alone a loaded truck which should have been doing 40mph.

Many visitors are unaware how bad some locals drive,as many of them either hibernate or go on holiday over the TT period.It is now back to 40mph everywhere.There have been some real morons on bikes this year,but speed limits will not make a difference as morons will do as they please whatever the law.In my opinion,being elderly,young etc is no excuse for bad,incompetent driving and it is time something was done.Dream on!!!

• Like 1

He is actually correct. There are no fine issuing cameras on Motorways outside of temporary roadworks restrictions and permanent traffic management areas where flxible speed limits may be employed. Other cameras for monitoring and management purposes are however abundant.

He isn't correct:

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/specs-speed-camera-locations.htm

As an aside, this is an interesting approach to the speed limit which uses speed cameras plus detection tech to enforce speed limits and keep traffic flowing on the motorway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-13770723

"VSL works through sensors in the road detecting traffic starting to build up that could cause congestion, adjusting the speed limit shown on overhead electronic signs to keep traffic flowing."

and

http://www.hgvuk.com/06/03/sunday-morning-closures-of-m1-for-camera-testing/

Outside of the TT period,there are so few people who like to drive fast,so a national speed limit would not solve the problem of apalling driving standards in general.As has been said before,many locals drive at 40mph everywhere,particularly in 30mph zones and nothing seems to be done about them.Surely they are more of a danger to other road users and pedestrians than a competent driver doing 70+ on a clear,unlimited road? Today,a truck overloaded with rubble,pulled out in front of me from Glen Auldyn onto the TT course and headed towards Sulby at 50+ mph.It was not safe to drive behind it as, over the bumps the load looked unsafe.That stretch of road is 50mph for all vehicles,let alone a loaded truck which should have been doing 40mph.

Many visitors are unaware how bad some locals drive,as many of them either hibernate or go on holiday over the TT period.It is now back to 40mph everywhere.There have been some real morons on bikes this year,but speed limits will not make a difference as morons will do as they please whatever the law.In my opinion,being elderly,young etc is no excuse for bad,incompetent driving and it is time something was done.Dream on!!!

Have to agree with most of what you said and if the vast majority of drivers were competent there would be no debate. However there are a lot of drivers on the island who are woefully inadequate in their abilities and more importantly in their attitudes to driving.There is no MOT and so they dont care if their vehicles are serviced or have all lights etc working,There are few speed limits so why care about your speed as they cant book you unless you do something really dangerous and have an accident. All drivers make mistakes and generally these are not punished and we learn from them. However there is a high percentage of drivers who are woefully poor but actually think they are good and these are often the biggest danger. Driving in many ways is a continuous series of risk management tasks, but unfortunately too many drivers spend their time increasing the risks to themselves and others with the inevitable results. Because of this others have a responsibility to try and manage these risks by putting in laws to compensate for the risk takers.

I am disinterested in whether there is a national speed limit or not and have frequently said over many years that I prefer not to have one. However when you see some of the attitudes expressed on these sites and see the reslting high accident /death rate on the island you can understand why questions are being asked.