Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"VSL works through sensors in the road detecting traffic starting to build up that could cause congestion, adjusting the speed limit shown on overhead electronic signs to keep traffic flowing."

So how about a dynamic speed limit system on the Island then? Particularly over the "mountain section".....

He isn't correct:

http://www.speedcame...a-locations.htm

"He" is correct. If you had read "his" post and actually looked at your link properly, you would have noticed that all of the motorway speed cameras refer to area where there are reduced limits due to roadworks, etc.

Lets not let fact get in the way though!!!

Edited by Cambon

He isn't correct:

http://www.speedcame...a-locations.htm

"He" is correct. If you had read "his" post and actually looked at your link properly, you would have noticed that all of the motorway speed cameras refer to area where there are reduced limits due to roadworks, etc.

Variable speed limit cameras are being used now in many sites enrelated to road works and on motorways yours and everyone elses speed is being constantly monitored by a series of different types of cameras so stop trying to confuse the issue of speed limits with speed cameras, they are two different things.

Every road in the UK carries a speed limit. END OF.

Thanks Emesde.I also agree with your thoughts re- the no annual vehicle test.People seem to have no pride in their driving,it is just a means of getting from A to B and the fact that there is no MOT test does not encourage people to look after their vehicles either.Having been a TT rider,I hate having to drive very slowly,and it is a fact that when you are used to speed,it is more difficult to concentrate when you are having to watch every move by a driver who really shouldn't be out there.My dad is 90 and he still drives pretty well.He was an R.A.F flying instructor and has retained his competence,something which many drivers never have.

I also noticed today that the illuminated signs telling you to slow down to 50mph,through Lezayre,are suddenly working again.They were not during the TT,why not? They do act as a deterrent when they catch you unawares.I was doing 50 BTW!

No they're not. In fact the second link features the VSL system which is enforced by cameras on the motorway that has nothing to do with roadworks.

As to proving your point that cameras don't work, why would they be placed where there's temporary limits if they didn't do anything?

How do you explain the results found here:

http://www.no-excuses.org.uk/Pages/Article.aspx?id=94

(ps, if you click around there, you can see that the same district has fixed cameras on the motorway)

Why don't you produce something to back up your claim?

Bottom line is traffic is now much slower on the motorways in the UK since the introduction of cameras.

You just don't get lots of people sitting in the fast lane at 120+mph anymore.

Anybody that says otherwise is lying.

As to proving your point that cameras don't work, why would they be placed where there's temporary limits if they didn't do anything?

Indeed. Because everything the Government does is right. You tell 'em.

Bottom line is traffic is now much slower on the motorways in the UK since the introduction of cameras.

Or are saying it with their vehicle impounded, their license taken off them and a heafty fine to pay.

Unless it's on the M6 Toll. *Everyone does at least a ton on the M6 toll, even little old ladies!

*Until the police turn up. Then it's back down to 80 on the gears and sweat until you're through the toll booth.

Nothing to do with the doubling of the traffic volume, and all the freight coming off the railways and going onto the roads making practically two lanes unusable of course.

Nothing to do with the doubling of the traffic volume, and all the freight coming off the railways and going onto the roads making practically two lanes unusable of course.

There are all sorts of reasons .A major one seems to be the high cost of fuel. The bottom line is though that average speeds are lower than they were and accident /death rates are also down. A Win win in most peoples view. Funnily enough journey times have remained fairly constant although speeds generally have decreased the "traffic flow" has been more constant and harsh accelerating and harsh braking have been reduced. :)

I voted yes but on reflection no let the stupid fuckers kill themselves and if anyone is killed by a speeder then prosecute the responsible persons family.

God I should have been the law maker on the island, what say you perverts.

i dont think it is because of speed camreas, as any sat nav these days have there locations in them, your phone can give you up to date movements of them.

i think cams have not had much impact at all. because they only used to slow down at the cams and speed up again,

i think its a lot of reasons why the speed has come down, but it has, years ago on the motoways sitting at 100-110mph you would have to pull in more to let the driver behind go in the fast lane.

now you tend to be passing them all the time with little having to move out of the fast lane.

and i have to admit im a worse driver at 70mph than 100mph on the motoway, because at 70 things are just slow with everybody doing the same speed, at 100 you got to be that bit more on edge and look well ahead.

and the same applys over here, i had more near missers doing a crap 40-50 mph because it really takes no effort or skill to do that, go faster and you have to keep your eyes open and your brain working.

Just noticed the same question on facebook today, amazing how the ratio is nearly 5:1 against when you have to put your name to it ;)

• Like 1