Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't need any more insidiously creeping speed limits. If anything, we need firmer enforcement of the existing laws to stop the reckless before they cause an accident, not try to reduce the speed at which they crash.

The kind of poll that depends on who has the most sock puppets. Well intentioned but ultimately meaningless.

Jeez, not this shit again.

Did you go to drag and drift at the weekend?

And BR i have said ive done 170mph before and i do like the buzz of the scenery goin past, but tbh up the mountian mile its more than safe to do so And without using both sides of the road, theres no junctions for people to pull out of and visability is great, i dont go out and do it every weekend.

"assume that it will be enforced by the police"

why? we already have plenty of driving laws and limits already that to police can't enforce

If 30mph limits aren't enforced, How do you expect all the current unrestricted areas to be enforced?

There is a national speed limit on most of the UK's b roads, dual carriageways and now a lot of the motorways (with temp 50mph limits popping up everywhere), drive on these roads, you'll see limits are rarely enforced by police and the majority drive over the posted limit.

I avoid the mountain because I don't care for driving very fast. I don't want speed limits though, I value freedom, I just prefer to leave them to it :)

• Like 1

I would prefer that dangerous drivers are actively hunted down like animals and their licenses cut up, this is NOT a metropolis, it is a small community and the coppers know who these clowns are, setup stings and hound them into submission.

Quite sick and tired of clueless politicians and overpaid civil servants dictating our lives, go fuck your self BR for bringing it up.....again. ;)

We don't need any more insidiously creeping speed limits. If anything, we need firmer enforcement of the existing laws to stop the reckless before they cause an accident, not try to reduce the speed at which they crash.

A balanced view from someone who's avatar is a photo of himself in race overalls...

I'd be interested to here Derek Flints opinion on the matter. He's on the coalface here.

So would I.

I've attended some of his briefings for visiting motor clubs and have been driven at speeds of around 100mph by a couple of his officers and also done the same with them sitting in the passenger seat.

I've voted yes to a national speed limit on here, but it's not because I 'want' one or have anything against speed per se, it's just that I've reached the inevitable and inescapable conclusion that speed limits properly enforced saves lives. We'll cling on to notions of freedom for a few years yet but it's coming. Reality will overtake misty eyed nostalgia and individualist notions of self-responsibility that can't deliver the sort of public safety that we expect and have a right to in a modern age. There are occasional (but increasingly rare) times when I'd like to be able to drive fast and borrow someone's Ferrari but I realise that if I'm going to do it I should really find myself a track and not endanger you lot by playing at being a superannuated boy racer. Fortunately, for everyone's sake the moment soon passes anyway, but not so for a minority of others. It's just a sad fact of life that the idiots continue to spoil things for the majority and put sensible road users at risk. I've nearly been wiped out on two occasions on the mountain road, both times by high speed drivers. I'm sure I'm not the only one. For those who say that "you can't police and enforce it" well the answer is simple. For the first few lunatics that are caught you charge them with dangerous driving, remove their license and vehicle and give them a hefty fine. You could sort the problem out in just a few short weeks if we really wanted to. One policeman with a radar gun is all you need if you really mean it.

In the main I am in favour but then a little voice says to me that those folk who want to go really fast (and to show how fast their cars can accelerate) are paying a lot more VAT and excise duty than I am to do this so why not continue with this form of voluntary tax payment?

The Mountain was shut so many times this year that genuine bikers who just wanted to ride the road couldn't due to the selfish idiots who spoil it for everyone. Nobles Hospital was and still is full of motorcyclists, restricting medical care for local people!

I'm totally pro TT but totally anti TT idiot. If a limit helps then so be it!

The Mountain was shut so many times this year that genuine bikers who just wanted to ride the road couldn't due to the selfish idiots who spoil it for everyone. Nobles Hospital was and still is full of motorcyclists, restricting medical care for local people!

I'm totally pro TT but totally anti TT idiot. If a limit helps then so be it!