Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally I don't like the idea of an all island speed limit, just because some idiots use the roads as a race track!

In every walk of life, the minority of idiots mean laws are brought in the contain the few!

This is something individual to our island, why take it away due to a minority of idiots?

O.K. I understand it's not just the idiot that gets hurt. It's just that why do we keep trying to be like the UK?

Most of the roads are unable to handle anyone going over 50mph

I'm struggling to comprehend the logic behind this post.

In basic terms, why introduce an all island speed limit when it's a minority who abuse the freedom we have?

For me there are not many roads in which anyone could safety travel over 50 - 60mph.

Why do we need the law to step in for a minority of idiot drivers who think they are on a race track?

I'm all for a national speed limit. Enforced, via speed cameras if necessary. We are the only nation in the world apart from Germany (only on the engineering magnificence of their autobahn network) to have unrestricted limits. So...we know best yeah?

People whining on about their fucking human rights to drive as fast as they want. That's ok then when your reckless fast driving on totally unsuitable country roads causes the death of another person - child, parent, etc. Yes I'll bear that in mind if it's a member of my family. I've known too many people killed via this method.

My having no limit we are reinforcing this culture of 'speed is good' that exists in the Island. If you're the type of individual that wanks off to Youtube videos of bikers going over the Mountain at 120 mph then get a fucking racing licence and let's see how good you actually are. At least I won't be driving in the opposite direction.

You are taking me completely the wrong way.

The idiots should be taken off the roads forever, anyone who causes another person's death should be banned from driving until they pass an ultimate scrutiny driving exam.

As this past week has shown in motor vehicle 'accidents', speed restrictions already in place did not help the injured parties!

• Like 1

Really Twitch? how many people have been killed,or even injured as a result of some one else's speed related incident?

Yes, People have died by crashing their bike whilst travelling at excessive speeds for the road/their skill, but i can't remember any where another innocent road user has been killed.

Edited by GringoQ

I've known too many people kill themselves through excessive speed.

If you want an example of innocent road users then I believe there was the fatal (car) accident collision on Ballamodha Straight in 2006 (?) which actually led to the current speed limit being put in place.

Which is why you should ' live the life you love and love the life you live'.

Being officially Manx (according to my passport), most people over 40 know someone who has died through the circumstances you have said.

People die all the time, sorry to be so blunt! It's hard but it only affects the people left behind.

Harsh! Having been in the position in the last few weeks of having to explain to my son why his best friends dad died in a freak accident at work, yes it sucks!

Life is for living - if you died wouldn't you want your family and friends to enjoy the rest of their lives.

Loves last gift is remembrance!

Really Twitch? how many people have been killed,or even injured as a result of some one else's speed related incident?

Yes, People have died by crashing their bike whilst travelling at excessive speeds for the road/their skill, but i can't remember any where another innocent road user has been killed.

I worked on a court case document a good few years back where a motorcyclist hit a van on the mountain and went through the windscreen, through the driver and out the back doors.

They weren't pretty pictures.

The dead van driver was a father going about his daily commute. The motorcyclist didn't live to be prosecuted.

I worked on a court case document a good few years back where a motorcyclist hit a van on the mountain and went through the windscreen, through the driver and out the back doors.

They weren't pretty pictures.

The dead van driver was a father going about his daily commute. The motorcyclist didn't live to be prosecuted.

IIRC that was around the 32nd milestone ?

I can't see how not having a speed limit could be against human rights though? And if you had to have a limit for the sake of human rights who says it can't be 250 mph?? I think the crooner just wanted some public attention but came out with a bollocks comment in the process. Nobody sets off wanting to crash and I would suspect many that do crash would already have ignored 'due care and attention' or ' dangerous driving ' so would a speed limit really slow them down?? The only thing a speed limit does due care and dangerous doesn't is specify a cut off point. Due care and dangerous are subjective. I doubt either of the kids getting knocked down this week was down to speed limits being broken ? Speed limits aren't a cure all.

I think the time has come for a national speed limit. Except on the mountain during TT & MGP (which should also be one-way).

+1

The roads are a shared space and the issue regarding a national speed limit is an impprtant one therefore let's hold an island wide referendum.

Edited by Matt Bawden

We already had a referendum.

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/transport/roadsafetyinitit.xml

Again for those with short memories

From the MOT consultation http://www.gov.im/transport/ConsultationDetail.gov?id=352

o 70% of accidents are caused by driver error, such as failed to look, failed to
judge other persons path or speed, loss of control, sudden braking, junction
overshoot, swerved, failed to signal.
o 10% have speed as a contributory factor.
o 10% have factors relating to the vehicle condition that may have contributed
to the incident or the severity of the outcome.
o 10% have other miscellaneous factors"

The limits we have are ignored all the time and I'm not talking about people who enjoy a high speed blat over the mountain. 30 to 50 zones are willfully ignored by a large number of road users and they know they can get away with it due to the almost zero road traffic policing.

Enhanced road user training along with much harsher punishments and actual policing, hell with fines it could probably be self funding.

Caught on the phone behind the wheel? 10 year ban £10,000 fine, car impounded and sold at auction

Caught Texting behind the wheel? - Lifetime Ban,£10,000 fine, car impounded and sold at auction

Doing 40 in a 30 zone? 10 year ban and ,£10,000 fine, car impounded and sold at auction

Running a Stop junction? 5 year ban ,£5,000 fine,

Edited by wideload

We already had a referendum.

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/transport/roadsafetyinitit.xml

From the MOT consultation http://www.gov.im/transport/ConsultationDetail.gov?id=352

o 70% of accidents are caused by driver error, such as failed to look, failed to

The limits we have are ignored all the time and I'm not talking about people who enjoy a high speed blat over the mountain. 30 to 50 zones are willfully ignored by a large number of road users and they know they can get away with it due to the almost zero road traffic policing.

Enhanced road user training along with much harsher punishments and actual policing, hell with fines it could probably be self funding.

Caught on the phone behind the wheel? 10 year ban £10,000 fine, car impounded and sold at auction

Caught Texting behind the wheel? - Lifetime Ban,£10,000 fine, car impounded and sold at auction

Doing 40 in a 30 zone? 10 year ban and ,£10,000 fine, car impounded and sold at auction

Running a Stop junction? 5 year ban ,£5,000 fine,

Cheers for that, I have suggested £10k fines for parking so along with your suggestions this would be a zero tolerance approach, which when it comes to speed is totally at odds with the Island's promotion of speed be it motorcycles, cars, bikes, running and even walking.

So, what we have to ask ourselves is this: do we want to eradicate or at least take more action to attempt to eradicate RTC's/RTI's?, if so then we must be prepared for and accept; cameras everywhere, a national speed limit, a different island ethos regarding speed, zero tolerance on pretty much everything, to those who have had someone close die or paralysed due to an RTC'S/RTI then this would seem acceptable to those who have not this may seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and therein lies the rub, we will most likely arrive at a stalemate.

Those percentages are for all accidents. Do the percentages change when you just consider fatal accidents?