Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Au contraire. One of my abiding hobbies is cars. I've won a couple of national motor racing championships, regularly drive different cars and bikes, took an advanced driving course with the IAM, have been out a few times with their motorbike section (I acknowledge I'm not as good on a motorbike as a car) and am a current IAM member. I've also been out with a couple of police driving instructors. So I've earned the right to consider myself a good driver - unlike Sid and Doris who got their licences with their ration cards and have never been assessed since.

Fair enough you may have made the effort to get the training and have the skills to drive at high speed. But you are probably in a minority. The majority of those who drive at high speed are probably no different from the Sid & Doris you describe and that is where I believe your argument falls down in my opinion

It would be great if we could have rules which when driving applied to us specifically. We can't and therefore we have to decide do we pitch at the level of the top X% or do we pitch at Mr & Mrs Average. I believe the latter.

but the latter means we have to drive to the slower drivers pace, 20 - 25 mph behind coffin dodgers through glen helen is bad enough on the occasions it happens, but behind them all the time???? Fuck that!

we could have adjustable speed limits controlled by illuminated signs like they have above lanes on motorways and we already have outside schools. pissing down and foggy up the mountain and it is 40 mph, dry and bright it is 100mph. we could then set the speeds to suit, even have specific times of certain days set aside for the purpose of having a razz??

I understand that in some countries such as the United States, you can receive a speeding ticket for traveling faster than the conditions allow even if your speed is less than the posted speed limit.

You'll be a pensioner some time!

What bugs me is the drivers who sit on my bumper when I am doing 32 in a 30 zone, can't keep up with me when de-restricted, but then snuggle up to my bumper again while I'm driving through the next 30 area.

There are also those who speed through a 30 zone, but won't go above 35mph when outside it.

The performance rating of the car doesn't come into it.

A minimum speed limit could only work on a motorway, and probably then only the "fast" lane - some autoroutes in France operate this, as well as having different maximum speeds to suit weather conditions.

(Don't let the tortoises loose, or you'll lose them!)

There's a lot of places on the Island where the speed limits are just wrong. For instance, the bypass in Castletown. Why the fuck does the no limit start BEFORE the junction? Why could you possibly want anyone speeding up from 50 as they pass a busy junction. Madness.

Similarly some of the back roads through St Marks should blatantly not be no-limit.

On the other hand there's a few places where the limit could be increased safely.

My stance on this is the same as it has always been. IMO there should be 2 limits. One for "everybody" (say 60 or whatever), and one for people who:

A) Take an advanced test (at cost, say £150?)

B) Renew this test once every 2 years

Which could be perhaps somewhere between 80mph and 120mph. Stopping distances are much shorter than they used to be, especially in performance vehicles.

monasqueen: "What bugs me is the drivers who sit on my bumper when I am doing 32 in a 30 zone, can't keep up with me when de-restricted, but then snuggle up to my bumper again while I'm driving through the next 30 area."

Here Here! Pointless assuming the Police would enforce it. They seemingly can't be bothered enforcing the 30 and 40 speed limits already in place around the island... or prosecuting men in white vans driving with a mobile phone stuck to their ear and their bumper up your arse. It seems pointless bringing in yet more laws until the Police actually bother to enforce the ones we already have.

Edited by Just Be Fair