Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a couple of points:

1. There is a tendency to regard a speed limit as a permissible speed irrespective of road conditions when in fact the maximum safe speed on any road at some times could be less than the limit;

2. People should always drive at speeds consistent with their ability and the abilities of their vehicle, whether there is a speed limit or not. The problem here is that too many people seem to think they are above average in driving ability when they are not and overestimate their ability to handle, for example, speed, sometimes with disastrous consequences.

An all Island limit of, say, 70mph would be sensible in that it would (hopefully) induce people to drive in ways more likely to be within their actual capabilities and so be much less likely to cause collisions, death or injury to other road users. Of course, unless such a limit was enforced pretty strictly it would likely end up being ignored in a lot of cases, with bad consequences, in which case it mightn't be worth having in the first place.

The national speed limit in England is virtually ignored - the slow lane on the motorway is where you'll find people doing 70mph, the supposed limit. What's the point? The speed limits in place on the Island now aren't even enforced. I would much prefer to see those in place now enforced than further restrictions that aren't enforced. I disagree with a national speed limit for much wider reasons, and I think many of those who support it do so because of reasons such as disliking the TT, disliking fast cars/bikes & those that drive them etc, rather than purely for safety.

The best ways to improve safety on our roads are simple things like painting the white lines & installing the reflective red/white lights at the side of ALL roads on the Island – this simple measure would be much more effective than unenforceable speed limits. Even the 30 limits around towns aren’t enforced, what chance have we got of a mountain limit being enforced? It’s clear that the usual pro-limit suspects back the limit purely due to their hatred of other people enjoying driving/riding fast, if it were really about safety they would be banging on about other safety methods instead of just jumping on the tired old national speed limit debate again & again whenever it rears its ugly head.

The best ways to improve safety on our roads are simple things like

Cat's eyes down the centre of all roads, especially high level roads?

this forum seems to be getting run from an old 8 track more and more recently, stuck with the same old content repeating it's self over and over again.

when the local newspaper screams the headline 'four deaths and twenty-seven serious accidents' then we're going to get the same old content

if people behaved on teh roads then the question wouldn't be getting asked?

An all Island limit of, say, 70mph would

Make a lot of people drive faster because that is what the government says you can do.

Plus why would a speed limit be set at 70mph? It could be 80 or 90. When there is no limit then people are obviously thinking that the roads and their bends can be taken quickly. Otherwise there would be a limit in place if they were hazardous

The best ways to improve safety on our roads are simple things like

Cat's eyes down the centre of all roads, especially high level roads?

Maybe, but they are dangerous for two-wheeled vehicles, so at the side would be better.

I also agree with a limit making people drive faster, try driving the B roads in England & people drive so much faster than over here. People always want to drive slightly over the speed limit, whatever it is. Drivers in England also seem way more impatient, making dangerous overtaking moves constantly if you're slightly slow.

Edited by Alex

Maybe, but they are dangerous for two-wheeled vehicles, so at the side would be better.

They are valuable safety measures at both the sides and centre of roads.

If you've ridden a bike you wouldn't be keen on them in the centre, they're slippy. Therefore at the side would be better, as we are a biking Isle, whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

All the time mate, we have a high amount of bikers here, both Manx born & those who choose to live here due to our biker friendly status.

• Like 1

Wow Alex you surely are the king of generalisation. To lump most people who think a speed limit is a good idea as people who hate fast cars \ speed \ TT is I feel not correct. I can't talk for others on here but I am in favour of a speed limit, like the TT, and drive a quick car. What I don't like are the number accidents, injuries, and deaths on our roads.

It is also a generalisation to say our current limits are not enforced, they are as I found out a while ago, but maybe not actively enough. I think you will find many of those who are advocating speed limits are saying do so in conjunction with increased policing of them. But if you read some of the posts we are suggesting a number of other measures too. As for your point that people tend to go right up and over the limit if there is one, I'm not sure everyone does, and even if they do is it not better someone is driving at 74 rather than 124?

This debate may be old hat and boring to some but our roads in the last 20 years have become a lot busier. More people drive now, more people live here, and families have more vehicles. This makes our roads more dangerous both in terms of traffic and obstructions in the carriageway. Not to mention cars have become much bigger, heavier, and faster making them more dangerous. Maybe the time has come to review our roads policy and the policing of it.

If you've ridden a bike you wouldn't be keen on them in the centre, they're slippy. Therefore at the side would be better, as we are a biking Isle, whether you like it or not.

You seem to be saying that the safety of non-bikers doesn't matter - I am afraid that sums up the attitude of too many of the TT Brigade. And dpon't forget, the centre line cats eyes enhance biker safety as well.

I also agree with a limit making people drive faster, try driving the B roads in England & people drive so much faster than over here. People always want to drive slightly over the speed limit, whatever it is. Drivers in England also seem way more impatient, making dangerous overtaking moves constantly if you're slightly slow.

You're just making stuff up now...

In the UK and other countries where long distances have to be covered national speed limits of about 70mph are in my opinion acceptable as there are longer distances to travel, on the IOM we are only travelling very short distances so a national limit of say 60mph would be more than enough, roads are for transporting goods and people not for use as a racing track especially as innocent lives are jeopardised.

Edited by groudleho