Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am amazed at the voting proportions.

In my line of work I do represent people in court on motoring offences from time to time.

In the overwhelming percentage of moving traffic cases that I see excess speed is involved.

This is the IOM, with a small area and short distances. What is wrong with a National Speed limit?

Given that the majority of our roads are speed restricted anyway, what difference is it going to make to any journey times

I think the bigger and more important debate is what the limits should be.

My view is

Mountain Creg to Hairpin 60mph

All other "arterial roads", not otherwise restricted, 50mph

All speed limits at 40 mph or above subject to a 10 mph reduction if wet or in poor visibility, with electronic signage to remind

All towns and villages, residential and built up areas 20mph (unless otherwise marked)

Purely residential streets 15mph

get rid of speed bumps, sleeping policemen and traffic "calming" measures

Enforce strictly

I have no problem with all vehicles having to be fitted with a satellite tracker to collect miles driven and speed. That can be used for road charging and fines as well as insurance. Road Tax as such to be abolished and replaced with an annual assessed sum in advance based on engine size and expected/previous years mileage with a top up at the end for those who drive more miles, and a rebate the following year for those who drive fewer miles.

Visitors to buy a carnet to drive or ride on Manx roads at £10 per day or £50 per week or £100 per month

Under 25's or anyone who passed test in last 24 months restricted to 30mph max

This may seem draconian, I am sure it is going to be unpopular, but it is what our roads are at best suited for.

I have attended too many inquests, seen too many people who's lives have been wrecked, and acted in too many cases (on either side) where damages payouts for injuries in RTAs have been made. In every case the speed involved exacerbated the damage and injuries.

Finally

No problem with a one way TT being derestricted between hairpin and Creg on Mad Sunday every year.

Not at all Evil Goblin, however in my experience they are slippy. They have no traction. I believe several countries don't use them for this reason. However, I'm all for safety measures, even cats eyes on the mountain road. As long as they can be easily removed for the biggest and best road race in the world every year of course. :D

• Like 1

In my line of work I do represent people in court on motoring offences from time to time.

In the overwhelming percentage of moving traffic cases that I see excess speed is involved.

This is the IOM, with a small area and short distances. What is wrong with a National Speed limit?

Given that the majority of our roads are speed restricted anyway, what difference is it going to make to any journey times

I think the bigger and more important debate is what the limits should be.

My view is

Mountain Creg to Hairpin 60mph

All other "arterial roads", not otherwise restricted, 50mph

All speed limits at 40 mph or above subject to a 10 mph reduction if wet or in poor visibility, with electronic signage to remind

All towns and villages, residential and built up areas 20mph (unless otherwise marked)

Purely residential streets 15mph

get rid of speed bumps, sleeping policemen and traffic "calming" measures

Enforce strictly

I have no problem with all vehicles having to be fitted with a satellite tracker to collect miles driven and speed. That can be used for road charging and fines as well as insurance. Road Tax as such to be abolished and replaced with an annual assessed sum in advance based on engine size and expected/previous years mileage with a top up at the end for those who drive more miles, and a rebate the following year for those who drive fewer miles.

Visitors to buy a carnet to drive or ride on Manx roads at £10 per day or £50 per week or £100 per month

Under 25's or anyone who passed test in last 24 months restricted to 30mph max

This may seem draconian, I am sure it is going to be unpopular, but it is what our roads are at best suited for.

I have attended too many inquests, seen too many people who's lives have been wrecked, and acted in too many cases (on either side) where damages payouts for injuries in RTAs have been made. In every case the speed involved exacerbated the damage and injuries.

Finally

No problem with a one way TT being derestricted between hairpin and Creg on Mad Sunday every year.

John I think the reason for the high number of votes in favour of no national limit will be due to there being many 'petrolheads' on this forum and they will also be more likely to vote?

christ groudleho, John's [post was long enough without you quoting the whole damn thing. And John, I for one don't want to live in your world, draconian is right. You might believe the more important debate is what the limits should be, but most people don't. Most people believe in freedom where possible, as was shown when they discussed it recently ("No limits") and is shown here.

• Like 1

In the UK and other countries where long distances have to be covered national speed limits of about 70mph are in my opinion acceptable as there are longer distances to travel, on the IOM we are only travelling very short distances so a national limit of say 60mph would be more than enough, roads are for transporting goods and people not for use as a racing track especially as innocent lives are jeopardised.

uk is talking of raising this to 80mph as 70 is considered too slow by most motorway users. Limit in most eu countries is 75mph (120kph). some are faster.

Why do you think 60mph is "more than enough"? How did you come to that conclusion? How often do you really witness people going faster than that? Reading some of these posts, one would think that everybody on the IOM drived at 100mph+ all the time. This is simply not true. Most people rarely reach 60mph on a daily basis. Most crashes happen in built up, residential areas. The problem here is nothing to do with a lack of national speed limit. It has to do with attitude.

• Like 1

christ groudleho, John's [post was long enough without you quoting the whole damn thing. And John, I for one don't want to live in your world, draconian is right. You might believe the more important debate is what the limits should be, but most people don't. Most people believe in freedom where possible, as was shown when they discussed it recently ("No limits") and is shown here.

The problem with your freedom to drive like a looney, is that your taking risks with other peoples lives not just your own.

Freedoms have to balanced against social responsibilty.

I might have a problem ,having a couple of cars and 8 vintage motorbikes,all taxed,tested and insured .May my god preserve me from lawers accountants and experts.

I might have a problem ,having a couple of cars and 8 vintage motorbikes,all taxed,tested and insured .May my god preserve me from lawers accountants and experts.

I'd be more interested in God protecting you from people exercising their "freedom" to speed and crashing into you.

The problem is, Alex, that motor vehicles can be lethal weapons and it is therefore inevitable that their use has to be well regulated in the best interests of all. As speed is the determining factor in most accidents which cause death or serious injury it makes sense to restrict speed to a level generally appropriate to the conditions on the different road sections.

As for the limits on the Mountain - there are sections (e.g. Mountain Mile) where 80mph is OK but other sections (where there are corners) 50 or 60 would be more appropriate.

Edited by Evil Goblin

In the UK and other countries where long distances have to be covered national speed limits of about 70mph are in my opinion acceptable as there are longer distances to travel, on the IOM we are only travelling very short distances so a national limit of say 60mph would be more than enough, roads are for transporting goods and people not for use as a racing track especially as innocent lives are jeopardised.

uk is talking of raising this to 80mph as 70 is considered too slow by most motorway users. Limit in most eu countries is 75mph (120kph). some are faster.

Why do you think 60mph is "more than enough"? How did you come to that conclusion? How often do you really witness people going faster than that? Reading some of these posts, one would think that everybody on the IOM drived at 100mph+ all the time. This is simply not true. Most people rarely reach 60mph on a daily basis. Most crashes happen in built up, residential areas. The problem here is nothing to do with a lack of national speed limit. It has to do with attitude.

More than enough because "Most people rarely reach 60mph on a daily basis" and don't need to how many people need to get from the Sound to the Point Of Ayre in less than 1 hour, the only exception necessary are the emergency services, I am all for freedom democracy and peoples rights to LIFE

Edited by groudleho

How about the police up their presence on the roads to start with? You never see the traffic division outside of TT fortnight. I voted No as well, there's plenty of rolling road speed limits currently out there in the form of Nissan Micra's, Camper Vans and anything Dihatsu. There's not many days where I travel to and from work more than 40mph because of the above, but I do like to have the option to if the roads & conditions allow.

Edited by Overdose

How about the police up their presence on the roads to start with? You never see the traffic division outside of TT fortnight. I voted No as well, there's plenty of rolling road speed limits currently out there in the form of Nissan Micra's, Camper Vans and anything Dihatsu. There's not many days where I travel to and from work more than 40mph because of the above, but I do like to have the option to if the roads & conditions allow.

Your attitude is obviously very sensible, unfortunately there are all too many dick heads around who care for nobody except themselves and have very little respect for human life.

I'd be more interested in God protecting you from people exercising their "freedom" to speed and crashing into you.

Thank you for your concern for my welfare but I was venturing to suggest that 'John's suggestion would be an administrative nightmare, paid for, in the end,by the vehicle owners (veteran/vintage vehicles road tax used to be free and still is on that other island but the cost was increased to cover admin costs).I'm not too miffed about the financial cost but the paperwork involved would be a pain.

As for the TT numpties...some sort of sliding scale of penalty (asides from death) for the damage/disruption they cause may help.

As for the general IOM road using numpties...a fixed all Island limit in isolation would be unworkable IMHO. Certainly a dynamic speed limited on the "mountain section" would be a interesting test run to see how it worked out.

Your attitude is obviously very sensible, unfortunately there are all too many dick heads around who care for nobody except themselves and have very little respect for human life.

And that attitude does not and will not change with speed limits. Look at the number of "R" platers that race around the place, what part of "50mph" do they not understand? Look a the number of "R" platers driving cars that there is no way they could get insurance for. There is a reason for that to, it is because the car is to big or powerful and therefore inappropriate for someone still learning how to drive. But the longer these attitudes stay the same, the longer we will have death and carnage on our roads. Nothing to do with a national limit.