Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your attitude is obviously very sensible, unfortunately there are all too many dick heads around who care for nobody except themselves and have very little respect for human life.

And that attitude does not and will not change with speed limits. Look at the number of "R" platers that race around the place, what part of "50mph" do they not understand? Look a the number of "R" platers driving cars that there is no way they could get insurance for. There is a reason for that to, it is because the car is to big or powerful and therefore inappropriate for someone still learning how to drive. But the longer these attitudes stay the same, the longer we will have death and carnage on our roads. Nothing to do with a national limit.

Doesnt that all come down to lax enforcement of the law?

Your attitude is obviously very sensible, unfortunately there are all too many dick heads around who care for nobody except themselves and have very little respect for human life.

And that attitude does not and will not change with speed limits. Look at the number of "R" platers that race around the place, what part of "50mph" do they not understand? Look a the number of "R" platers driving cars that there is no way they could get insurance for. There is a reason for that to, it is because the car is to big or powerful and therefore inappropriate for someone still learning how to drive. But the longer these attitudes stay the same, the longer we will have death and carnage on our roads. Nothing to do with a national limit.

Of the friends I have lost or have been maimed in RTC's on the IOM over many years the vast majority have been caused due to excessive speed and mostly by mature? qualified drivers/riders, if a reasonable national speed limit were to be introduced drivers would get used to it, it would become the norm to observe the limit and in my opinion the number of maimings and deaths considerably reduced, am I wrong?

Of the friends I have lost or have been maimed in RTC's on the IOM over many years the vast majority have been caused due to excessive speed and mostly by mature? qualified drivers/riders, if a reasonable national speed limit were to be introduced drivers would get used to it, it would become the norm to observe the limit and in my opinion the number of maimings and deaths considerably reduced, am I wrong?

Yes. Regardless of limits, there will ALWAYS be a number if people who will go too fast at inappropriate times. Before you say that with a national speed limit speeding would be an offence, inappropriate use of speed is already an offence.

Of the friends I have lost or who have been maimed in crashes on the IOM and elswhere over the years, the vast majority have been in 30mph zones or less, and caused by people under 25.

So if speed limits are pointless, we should remove them from the roads next to schools?

So if speed limits are pointless, we should remove them from the roads next to schools?

Don't be pathetic.

• Like 1

Don't be pathetic.

Nice.

Please explain how speed limits work next to schools, but not on other roads?

Don't be pathetic.

Nice.

I would imagine it's because the vast majority agree with the limit and can see why it's there, so they obey it.

Put a 60mph limit on a road where people feel they can safely go much faster then it's much more likely to be disregarded.

Edited by Chef Raekwon
  • Like 1

Don't be pathetic.

Nice.

I would imagine it's because the vast majority agree with the limit and can see why it's there, so they obey it.

Put a 60mph limit on a road where people feel they can safely go much faster then it's much more likely to be disregarded.

But what quailifies them to know at which speed they can drive safely? All it takes is an over estimation of skill or equipment and you have an accident.

Surely, when a limit is posted, tests have been done to decide upon a limit.

But what quailifies them to know at which speed they can drive safely? All it takes is an over estimation of skill or equipment and you have an accident.

Well firstly, I was answering the question as to why limits by schools tend to work rather than taking one side or another in this debate.

Secondly, what kind of tests do you reckon would be used if they decided to limit the mountain for example?

Well firstly, I was answering the question as to why limits by schools tend to work rather than taking one side or another in this debate.

Secondly, what kind of tests do you reckon would be used if they decided to limit the mountain for example?

(edit to clarify: I was talking about the those that choose to disregard the 60mph limit because they "know better")

How the heck should I know? Angle of corners? Road camber? Visability around corners?

Just guessing here. I personally don't know the science and mechanics of determining speed limits. I know it can't be easy, as no two cars are the same and no two driving circumstances are the same

Edited by MilitantDogOwner

Maybe taking into account the number of people that have lost their lives or been seriously injured on it would be a suitable starting point?

I expected the negative reaction.

But why not try and debate what are appropriate speed restrictions for different roads and areas. We have restrictions on most roads. So changing them, up or down is not a deprivation of freedom.

The first problem seems to be the perception that if we had a national limit vast numbers of residents here for our de limited roads would leave and we would get fewer visitors. I just don't believe it.

The second problem seems to be that there is a perception that existing limits are not enforced.

My suggestion of Sat trackers solves the policing problem, and raises revenue. Most people will slow down after a few fixed penalty notices generated by excess speed. What is more it is something many insurance companies are already working towards with younger, and now high risk, drivers. You will pay a premium based on what car you drive, how far you drive, how safely and carefully you drive, where you drive and at what time of day you drive, much more economic for those of us who are careful, slow or do not drive long distances or at peak accident times. In other words insurance will be directly risk related.

That comes on to Road Tax. One poster says my suggestion would hit him as he has 2 cars and a number of vintage bikes. How will it hit him? Unless he drives/rides thousands of miles per year. It will save motoring costs for low mileage road users and put the road usage cost onto those who drive more and cause more wear to the roads.

The first problem seems to be the perception that if we had a national limit vast numbers of residents here for our de limited roads would leave and we would get fewer visitors. I just don't believe it.

Irrelevant

The second problem seems to be that there is a perception that existing limits are not enforced.

My suggestion of Sat trackers solves the policing problem, and raises revenue. Most people will slow down after a few fixed penalty notices generated by excess speed. What is more it is something many insurance companies are already working towards with younger, and now high risk, drivers. You will pay a premium based on what car you drive, how far you drive, how safely and carefully you drive, where you drive and at what time of day you drive, much more economic for those of us who are careful, slow or do not drive long distances or at peak accident times. In other words insurance will be directly risk related.

Technology for technology's sake. Expensive and pointless. Some insurance companies are investigating it, but it is too costly. A simpler and more effective approach would be to include the third party element of insurance in road tax. Then, everybody is covered.

That comes on to Road Tax. One poster says my suggestion would hit him as he has 2 cars and a number of vintage bikes. How will it hit him? Unless he drives/rides thousands of miles per year. It will save motoring costs for low mileage road users and put the road usage cost onto those who drive more and cause more wear to the roads.

If this sort of approach was to be looked into, why not scrap road tax altogether and just add 10P per litre (or whatever) to petrol. Very simple and the user pays, including visitors, etc.

I can see how that's an argument about what the limit should be, not an argument for there not to be a limit at all.

Cambon: it's not technology for technology's sake. It's technology to save lives. 8% of kids deaths in the uk are road related, anything that can reduce that is worthwhile.