Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

National Speed Limit

Do We Need a National Speed Limit? (assume that it will be enforced by the police)  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've yet to see the statistics that show our roads are more dangerous than the UK, what do you base these on?

deaths/capita - discussed ad nuseam in previous years - Derek Flint at time compared the Island death rate to Portugal - maybe he could give the fugures again

I've yet to see the statistics that show our roads are more dangerous than the UK, what do you base these on?

deaths/capita - discussed ad nuseam in previous years - Derek Flint at time compared the Island death rate to Portugal - maybe he could give the fugures again

There were plenty of statistics quoted in March/April when a similar thread was started on the 25th March headed "Time For A National Speed Limit?" The Gist of it was that based on a per capita death rate while the UK as a whole has one of lowest rates in the world the IOM has one of the highest.(certainly the highest in western Europe).

Does that include TT or GP period though, because its flawed if it does. I don't think you can compare it by death per capita anyway, there is so much more to take into account such as size of area and roads, type of vehicle, amount of vehicles per mile of road & lots of other variables. IOM has many motorcycle enthusiasts both locals and visitors and I would imagine that many of our road deaths are unfortunately motorcyclists, simply because they are more vunerable to death or injury from a shunt of any kind and we have so many bikes here.

• Like 1

However, during TT the visitors arrive with the impression that there's no speed limit, the mountain is one and they can race like their idols. This was said in the newspaper vox pop during the races and illustrated on hundreds of YouTube clips and iomtt forum threads. So you can't exclude the TT from the figures because the lack of a national speed limit may be a contributory factor.

Wonder how many times MDo and Co have signed up with alts to vote :P

I was going to say the same thing when the yes votes had the majority.

Funny how that works.

Why should I be forced to face you, doing over 150mph on your bike, coming toward my family and I, on the way back from the pictures on a nice day?

Inside, at the pictures, on a nice day? :o

Sorry, but better an Island full of 150mph bikers than one where folk sit inside watching films on a nice day.

Why should I be forced to face you, doing over 150mph on your bike, coming toward my family and I, on the way back from the pictures on a nice day?

Inside, at the pictures, on a nice day? :o

Sorry, but better an Island full of 150mph bikers than one where folk sit inside watching films on a nice day.

I have always been against a National speed limit on the Island.BUT I believe it is this attitude of the people with the view that everyone should have the freedom to drive and ride in whatever manner they think regardless of the consequenses for others that is making me and many others ask the question of whether the time is now right to introduce a sensible limit.We are after all the only country in the western world without a national speed limit. Yet we have one of the highest death rates per capita in the world. Maybe we are out of step with the world in this respect.

On balance I think I would still rather have NO national limit at this time,but unless attitudes change to driving safely and people taking responsibility for their own actions then I expect limits will be introduced.

Maybe we could do what is done on many German roads and that is to have an advisory speed limit . If you are involved in an accident (whether your fault or not)and it is shown that you were exceeding the advised limit -then you are held partially rsponsible and incur costs and penalties accordingly.

Yet we have one of the highest death rates per capita in the world.

people taking responsibility for their own actions

Given the main issue at point here (and the high death rate) seems to be fast bikers killing themselves, that would seem to be the ultimate in 'responsibility for their own actions'. Some are seeking to deny them that responsibility.

Anyway, may point (and a slighly tongue in cheek one) was actually about namby-pambies going to the pictures on a nice day when they could be playing outside. That of course is their choice and their right to do so, but I'd rather a world / Island where it's not the namby-pambies setting the rules for the rest of us.

Yet we have one of the highest death rates per capita in the world.

people taking responsibility for their own actions

Given the main issue at point here (and the high death rate) seems to be fast bikers killing themselves, that would seem to be the ultimate in 'responsibility for their own actions'. Some are seeking to deny them that responsibility.

Anyway, may point (and a slighly tongue in cheek one) was actually about namby-pambies going to the pictures on a nice day when they could be playing outside. That of course is their choice and their right to do so, but I'd rather a world / Island where it's not the namby-pambies setting the rules for the rest of us.

-By responsibility I am referring to responsibility to all the other road users who have the right to use the roads as well ,whether they be walkers,bikers ,horse riders or what ever. If I choose to sit in a cinema on a sunny day, that is my choise (I agree a bit sad) but affects no one else. If I choose to drive my 2 ton lump of metal around on public roads at 225 feet per second (approx 150 mph)that does have an impact on a great many other people. I dont think it is a right that unqualified ,incompetent drivers should have this freedom just because they own a fast vehicle.The impact and potential danger to others is just too great. The roads offer an enjoyable means of communication/travel for the masses and are not the playground of a few .

You have a 2 ton motorcycle?

I did say DRIVE not ride ! or are you advocating that only motorcyclists are exempt from speed limits ??

Here is an idea.

One way Mountain Road for TT AND MGP.

Bikers turn up - and are given a time to be in Ramsey.

Betwix 10AM and 2PM - Mon to Fri only.

Each time slot is valid for 15 mins.

Max number of riders in any time slot say about 100.

Riders can then go over the top (no pun intended) at what ever speed they bloody well want want.

The charge for this?

- £50.00 per go. Pay as you play (money to be collected BEFORE they set off for obvious reasons)

They then sign a waiver - come off and die and its your own fault - please arrange your own passage home in a box.

Come off and need an airlift/ambulance/medical treatment - cost price.

Hit another rider - spend the next 2 weeks in jail. Appear in court, loose your bike and licence. (get locked up if you kill them) Get excluded from the island for 2 years - 10 years if death or serious injury to a third party is involved.

This means that they will not be insured as it becomes a pay and play event. Any damage must be paid for out of their own pocket before they leave the island.

We could sell them insurance - a sort of 'wanker damage waiver' for the 15 min slot - £100.00?

Setting a blanket speed limit for the period risks it becoming a 'target speed' not a 'speed limit'

Rubbish

"Come off and need an airlift/ambulance/medical treatment - cost price."

You missed a nice little earner there . Surely we expect to make a profit from this as well.

We could just hold all their credit cards and take whatever we feel appropriate ----but not cost price Oh dear Oh dear . :D

The canvassing has already started around my area in anticipation of the September popularity contest. This is one of the issues I feel strongly about, as a supporter of a national limit that is, and the position held by the eager doorsteppers will have a very strong influence on whether they will secure my vote. I wasn't aware until recently just how close the vote in Tynwald was when last debated, in fact I believe it was tied in reality. Somebody recently linked the results on Manx Forums but I can't be bothered looking for it just now. MHKs who voted against change have already lost my vote, even though there are other issues which I feel are of equal importance. The couple of candidates who have called at my house, and who shall remain nameless, are in favour of introducing a limit, even though I declined to reveal my position on it.

More rules. More tax / charges. More bossiness. I see how some of you think.

In the past, the IoM generally was seen as relatively free of this sort of attitude, well at least compared to the UK. Sadly that's a-changin' and it's increasingly seen as the Government's job to micro-manage our lives for us.

Shame.