Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Theodolite

Minister Couldn't Answer Questions On Bill

Now we see the results of a block of independants voting as a party,with party politics the minister would have had to be clued up on a bill or he would have been replaced very quickly.If the people on this Island vote back in those lot on Co-Min and their avid supporters,then they deserve all they get,just look at the records of incompentance and overspend of this government.

It seems that with it being so close to an election nobody wants to rock the boat,but with the news of so much money being wasted,ie film industry etc,the chickens are coming home to roost now.

Or as the now famous quote might go: "The white elephants are coming home to roost"

Vinnie K did some analysis a year ago that showed Cretney was the most likely minister to break with COMIN.

Cretney does come off as fairly respectable (voting with the government 87% of the time against a 93.11% average for CoMin as a whole). For those who care, the standard deviation is 2.76 meaning that Cretney's just hovering around the two standard deviations from the mean mark, enough to class him as an exception amongst CoMin

I'll probably do something similar, although a bit more methodical, this year before the election, but the old results were:

Super Crony: Adrian Earnshaw 96%

The Loyal Comrades: Martyn Quayle, John Shimmin, Eddie Teare 95%

The Faithful Hounds: Allan Bell, Annie Craine, Phil Gawne 93%

The Rank and File: David Anderson 91%

The Doubting Thomas: David Cretney 87%

and for the 'backbenchers'

Yes, Minister: Phil Braidwood 92% (and to think some wonder why he was elevated to LegCo)

Nodding Dog: Geoff Corkish 86%

Dependable: Steve Rodan 85%

Wavering: Tim Crookall 82%

Concerned of Rushen: Quintin Gill 76%

Serious Doubts: Juan Watterson 72%, David Quirk 71%

The Disillusioned: Graham Cregeen 66%

A Worrying Lack of Faith: David Cannan 61%

Making Mischief: Brenda Cannell, John Houghton 54%

The Awkward Squad: Bill Malarkey 45%, Peter Karran 40%, Bill Henderson 39%

The mean here was 65.93% with an S.D. of 17.57.

Edited by VinnieK

Interesting figures there, VinnieK.

I wonder if the figures will change much for this year? I am sure now that the likes of Malarkey and Quirk, now they have bedded in with their aspirations, will be up their with the nodding dogs?

Great work Vinnie, I haven't seen this before. What a house of cards it is, sort of a Tynwald Happy Families. Imagine 'Now then, I'll swap you one of my Faithful Hounds for one of your Awkward Squad'.... it could catch on in the run up to September.

Edited by Shake me up Judy

Guest ravabelli

Nice one Vinnie, missed out Robertshaw, but I guess I know where he would be in those rankings.

Funnily enough Judy, was thinking of making sets of tynwald top trumps. Anyone up for that?

Nice one Vinnie, missed out Robertshaw, but I guess I know where he would be in those rankings.

Funnily enough Judy, was thinking of making sets of tynwald top trumps. Anyone up for that?

Go for it...

Crookall's not a minister.

You're right, sorry. Don't know why I suddenly got it into my head that he was: I'll correct the previous post.

Thanks ravabelli. I drew those up before Robertshaw entered the HoK's, so they are pretty out of date.

If anyone's interested, the next series I draw up, I'm thinking of including instances where MHK's don't cast their vote, and I'll organize it year by year so we can see how support for the chief minister and government evolves over the course of this parliament.

I would be very interested and would really appreciate it Vinnie, due to the fact that after speaking to an MHK about something which was important to me, and after lengthy disscussions, he informed me that he would not be voting either way as he would be in the "toilet" when voting took place. I couldn't believe that this practice actually took place, and it would be great to have the information about how many times he didn't cast a vote for when he comes calling looking for mine. :angry:

Edited by Sammy

he informed me that he would not be voting either way as he would be in the "toilet" when voting took place. I couldn't believe that this practice actually took place. :angry:

It seems to take place an awful lot judging by the hansards. Of course, sometimes there's a legitimate reason for an absence, but sometimes an MHK turns up on one vote, is missing for the next couple, only to return for the one after that - with no absence being announced. Certain Ministers are particularly prone to doing it, rather than vote against the government, as are a couple of 'backbenchers'.

On that subject, I can't remember if there's a reason such as illness behind why Brenda Cannell missed so many votes in the first year of the parliament. There are an awful lot, so if there is a decent reason I'll remember to include a footnote when I get round to compiling everything.

Guest ravabelli

Vinnie do you compile each vote per MHK? Love to try to compare them to the last election manifestos.

Cretney does come off as fairly respectable (voting with the government 87% of the time against a 93.11% average for CoMin as a whole). For those who care, the standard deviation is 2.76 meaning that Cretney's just hovering around the two standard deviations from the mean mark, enough to class him as an exception amongst CoMin

I'll probably do something similar, although a bit more methodical, this year before the election, but the old results were:

Super Crony: Adrian Earnshaw 96%

The Loyal Comrades: Martyn Quayle, John Shimmin, Eddie Teare 95%

The Faithful Hounds: Allan Bell, Annie Craine, Phil Gawne 93%

The Rank and File: David Anderson 91%

The Doubting Thomas: David Cretney 87%

Where did you get the base data for all this please (link?)

Why don't you read the thread? He got it by going through Hansard.

Why don't you read the thread? He got it by going through Hansard.

Twas a hint to list the underlying data. Would be interesting as a 'reference thread'.