Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrotlima

Wheelchair

God, sometimes I feel that the only time I post on here is to beg for help or information, so why change the habit of a lifetime. Here goes.

My Mum has had a hip replacement and is coming home on Monday and has now decided that she needs a wheelchair for said Monday. I am going to call the Red Cross when they open but am throwing myself at the collective knowledge and mercy of the forum to see if anyone has any other ideas. As she has paid for the op privately, OT is not an option. And, I can't afford to buy her one.

We just need a borrow and are more than willing to pay for it. It does not need to be self propelled and to be quite honest, I don't care what state it is in as long as it does the job.

If anyone can help, then I would be more than grateful. I can be contacted on here, via PM or (and god help me for doing this) on 355269 as I am going to be out and about sorting things out for her today.

Doesn't the place in Chester Street Car Park do this sort of stuff? Circa (?) is it called?

Thank you so much for that - I shall pop in this morning. £2.50 a day seems absolutely fantastic value for money. Your help is appreciated more that you will realise :)

I've known two people who have had recent hip replacements - in both cases the hospital wanted them on their feet asap and walking possibly with aid of a stick - but obviously I don't know your mother's condition but the old adage that if you don't use it you lose it applies very much to the muscles needed for walking.

Age Concern might also be a good place to ask.

The other problem I found with my friends wheelchair is that some houses have doors etc that are too narrow for standard wheelchairs - we needed to remove door to kitchen - other things to start considering if she is going to have difficulty walking is to ensure all doors open outwards so that if she falls against a door you can get at her.

I've known two people who have had recent hip replacements - in both cases the hospital wanted them on their feet asap and walking possibly with aid of a stick...

Definitely agree with Frances. Check with the medical staff and physiotherapy staff to ask their advice re use of a wheelchair. You may do more harm than good, so my advice is to check first.

I'm sure Red Cross up on the IOM Business Park do wheelchairs etc. My Mum borrowed a Zimmer Frame when my Gran came to visit. I don't think they charge - just ask for a suitable "donation". Their number is 639310.

Keith and Frances - thank you for your advice, and yes, I totally agree. Mum is approaching her 69th birthday and the operation was not straightforward as she has severe scoliosis of the spine, hence the need for the wheelchair. This came from her physiotherapist in the hospital she is in in England. I do genuinely appreciate you pointing this out to me though.

andrew - that is where I got it from , along with a couple of other things that will help her. There is a lady up there called Melissa who went above and beyond what I could have asked for.

Thanks all for your help.

Very slightly off topic: If you're taking mum out and feel the need for a taxi, please make sure that you ask either for a wheelchair accessible vehicle (i.e. one in which the wheelchair and passenger are properly and safely secured) or, if she is a bit more mobile, a saloon with a large enough boot to take a folded-up chair. You won't want a people-carrier turning up that she has to climb into.

Best wishes.

Lonan3 - Thank you for that, muchly appreciated. Fortunately one of our family vehicles fits the description, but if she is having a bad day and wants to go out in the wheelchair, I shall most definitely keep that in mind.

I think a lot of people forget it is not just the physical wellbeing that needs attention, it is the social wellbeing too. A trip out for lunch might be just the ticket to raise her spirits.

Wow, a whole thread where everyone is just nice, friendly and helpful towards each other, more of the same please!!

I hope things go well for you :)

Recently an elderly relative came over to stay and on a friends advice we got one free of charge from the Red Cross, we just had to give a donation, they have lots of other equipment as well and with the same deal, just a donation,

hope this helps.

That is exactly what I have now done The Terminator, they are fantastic aren't they? I went in looking to borrow a wheelchair, and came out with a proper high backed chair (which saved a trip to the Hospice Warehouse tomorrow to get one) and the most fantastic sort of zimmer frame. It has two sets of handles at different heights to help my Mum get herself out of a chair, off the loo etc.

I really couldn't have found them more helpful at all. We were even offered a brand new wheelchair and although I said the other one would be fine, the lady insisted as it wasn't a problem and they were upgrading all their stock. I made a donation at the time but have a sneaking suspicion that there will be another one on its way when I return the items.

Wow, a whole thread where everyone is just nice, friendly and helpful towards each other, more of the same please!!

I hope things go well for you :)

Most unusual and pleasant!