Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
x-in-man

Bling Buses For Bus Vannin

Well, silver really - but you get the idea.

linky

The first two of 12 new additions to the Bus Vannin fleet have arrived.

The finish on each bus is the classic Mercedes silver. This saves the cost of customised painting and also results in much cheaper spares and less time and expense required for panel repairs, ensuring more time on the road.

So they are expecting a few bent ones anytime soon then.

Will the old remaining fleet be painted to match the new ones? :rolleyes:

Nah just leave them parked up at the side of the road in some of the classier areas of Douglas and bored teenagers will pour paint stripper on them. Job should only take a few weekends.

linky

The finish on each bus is the classic Mercedes silver. This saves the cost of customised painting and also results in much cheaper spares and less time and expense required for panel repairs, ensuring more time on the road.

‘These single decker buses have a total capacity of 70 passengers, compared with a capacity of up to 78 on the double decker buses they are replacing. So, the new Mercedes will be able to carry a similar number of passengers with the advantage of being able to operate much more economically due to their size.’

70 on a single decker? Presumably with 20 odd of the poor buggers standing up. I do recognise however that the average passenger load on our buses is about 3.4 persons.

Just hope they make a better effort at cleaning the interiors than at present - generally disgusting. Should take precedence over cleaning/washing exteriors.

I do recognise however that the average passenger load on our buses is about 3.4 persons.

Only during the rush hour. Generally the average passenger load is <1.

linky

‘These single decker buses have a total capacity of 70 passengers, compared with a capacity of up to 78 on the double decker buses they are replacing. So, the new Mercedes will be able to carry a similar number of passengers with the advantage of being able to operate much more economically due to their size.’

70 on a single decker? Presumably with 20 odd of the poor buggers standing up. I do recognise however that the average passenger load on our buses is about 3.4 persons.

These buses seat a maximum of only 42 passengers, which includes the seats which fold away to make space for wheelchairs. They have seats rammed into every nook and cranny which face backwards, sideways, inwards, outwards, forward.

I'm sure these new buses will be very welcome by the new operator when Bus Vannin is privatised - I must have a ride on one while I can still afford it....

I'm sure these new buses will be very welcome by the new operator when Bus Vannin is privatised - I must have a ride on one while I can still afford it....

Don't you mean before they get IOMized and breakdown/ get crashed/sunk/blown up, or mysteriously disappear altogether only to find cheap merc bus parts turning up on Ebay?

Maybe these ONLY work in the rain and cannot handle sunny weather.

These buses seat a maximum of only 42 passengers, which includes the seats which fold away to make space for wheelchairs. They have seats rammed into every nook and cranny which face backwards, sideways, inwards, outwards, forward.

I take it from your description that they are not 'bendy-buses' then.

I take it from your description that they are not 'bendy-buses' then.

Not yet! They are 12m rigid versions - same make and model though without the articulation. Could be very interesting on some routes.....

linky

I see your point in that the buses shouldnt be getting damaged but it happens alot, the new buses come in a standard merc colour as cretney said to save money on panels as they will come factory painted. the old buses have been specially painted to the goverments requirement, when they need a panel they buy a bare panel and have to have it colour matched and sprayed to match the colour of bus.