Passport Office

I've heard a couple of people complain recently that the Passport Office has stitched them up by telling them they would have their passports by such and such a date even if they didn't pay for the "tast track" service, only to find later they have to stump up for the fast track service after all (on top of the normal fee). Anyone else had this experience?

Handed in forms etc and had it back within 8 days - no fast track fee. Couldn't fault them.

I also applied a good 6 months before the expiry date and with no forthcoming travel to worry about - which was a big help and would be my top tip.

Never had a problem.

Efficient process, friendly service and passport was here within 10 days.

Mind you, wasn't cheap - flight to London, Hotel, Embassy fees, etc.

It's not cheap being German, but I'm worth it :)

When it was across the road by the Job Centre, I remember coming out of the Prospect Pub late at night and seeing the lights on and people busy.

Someone suggested it might be the cleaners, but they were using the computer and maybe cleaning out the drawers.

Under the right circumstances a Manx Passport is easier to get than a UK one.

But no, I have had no issue with it. Don't try using your own camera and printer for the pictures though (unless you really know what you are doing). It is well worth the £6 or whatever to get Percy Morrison or whoever to do it for you, if only to save the hassle of redoing it as the counter folk can spot a home photo a mile away.

Edited by Theo

Unless you pay for fast track there is no guaranteed turn around time. It’s a first-in first-out service and you should not be given anything other than an indicative date based upon the volume of applications already in the system.

I have required a replacement passport by a particular date of departure a few times and the Passport Office was always careful to stipulate no guarantees when they issued the indicative lead time. If in doubt fast-track was always the advice.

I have found that they have always provided an exemplary service. Polite, friendly and no bullshit.

I know of 2 people who were dealt with by a really rude (jobsworth) woman behind the counter and over the phone. One of my friends had to pay the extra for fast-track, even though she had applied in good time.

I sent my application in about a month ago, so hoping to get my passport shortly (fingers crossed)

No, i'm afraid that i have never left the island.

And I have never felt to need to visit Peel for the day.

Nah, best avoided. Too many salty old sea dogs and fishermens wives.

The only trouble I have had with my new passport is that the page with the picture on is much thicker than it used to be. More like an ID card. The problem is it will not fit into the flymaybe check in machines at LGW airport. So had to go to desk anyway.

Never had a problem.

Goodness how inefficient the Germans are! Not at all like the stereotype of ultra efficient.

The Australians manage it in 3 days!

One day to post it to the Embassy, one day to process and get it back into the mail and back on day three. And no special fees, no flights, no hotel bills. Maybe the Germans need to have a word with Aussies about becoming efficient!

I have to confess to being shocked to discover that such a lay back nation can outperform such a well organised one :D :

socialwork4.jpg

Never had a problem.

Goodness how inefficient the Germans are! Not at all like the stereotype of ultra efficient.

The Australians manage it in 3 days!

One day to post it to the Embassy, one day to process and get it back into the mail and back on day three. And no special fees, no flights, no hotel bills. Maybe the Germans need to have a word with Aussies about becoming efficient!

I have to confess to being shocked to discover that such a lay back nation can outperform such a well organised one :D :

Listen, mate - there's a blimey big difference between a brucey card and a German passport - no wonder you get'em this quick if all you need is a Sheila drawing something on a bit of cardboard - s'aright mate, will do.... A precision document like the one I carry takes more time! :P *

*used to be able to do it by mail but now it's a "Give us your fingerprint" visit to the embassy for the biometric one. Meh! <_<

no wonder you get'em this quick if all you need is a Sheila drawing something on a bit of cardboard

OK I surrender!

You obviously have to get Albrecht Dürer to do your drawings. It must be a bit of a wait for him to be resurrected. Don't know about fingerprints but he sketches a good hand or two.

But you should see the Sheila mate! Don't call it The Lucky Country wthout reason.

I had to renew my passport recently by post because I was off Island when I realised I didn't have the required 6 months unexpired for a holiday we were going on. The passport office were brilliant, and my new passport came very quickly.