General Election 2011 - Douglas East

Chris Robertshaw came over as cool, calm, clear, concise (for a change!) and capable. How much more alliteration can I squeeze in?

That left the contenders with no other choice than to leave Mr Robertshaw well alone - apart from a cheeky quip by Paul Moulton as to whether he would take the Chief Minister's job.

So they wisely took their attack to the other sitting member, Brenda Cannell.

And in two cases, attack they certainly did.

If the Isle of Man was to continue being fed an extra £million VAT revenue every day by the UK, and thus securing our future, I would vote for Paul Moulton and Richard Kissack - for sheer and utter entertainment value. Like a couple of precocious peas in a pod they popped up against Brenda Cannell at every available opportunity. Their two-pronged attacks displayed an empathy that would have made Jedward blush. post-4192-0-04273800-1315472056_thumb.jpg At times though, they were more like muppets Jerry Statler and Conrad Waldorf post-4192-0-05781600-1315471103_thumb.jpg insisting that Brenda Cannell "go on" and name who she would vote for as Chief Minister, and despite the uncertainty of any answer at this stage anyway, she replied with the names of two people in the Keys she described as capable: Allan Bell and Steve Rodan. It didn't shut them up and there were further interruptances with insistence that Mrs Cannell be more explicit in her remarks, not unreasonably in some case I have to add. As a pair these guys took on Brenda for her seat and came off pretty poorly. On their own I rather think they would stand no chance whatsoever against the rarely informidable Brenda Cannell.

Geraldine O'Neill spoke clearly and seems to know the buzz phrases and answers. In a couple of cases I was mouthing the words - my family in the room surprised at the woman's voice that was synchronised on the radio with me. When the going got tough though, the Oirish brogue came out. Although Mrs O'Neill is always keen to underline her qualifications for Manxieness (does it really matter anyway?) I would doubt that yet another person in Tynwald who is keen to develop the Manx language is required. That really is near to last on the list of an MHK's things-to-do.

John Karran seems a nice person, but his lateness in declaring will play against him. In other circumstances he would be useful as a protest vote.

So, Chris Robertshaw could be in again but who is going to sit on his left in the House of Keys and work with him for the future of Douglas East and the Isle of Man?

Edited by Theodolite
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Robertshaw came over as cool, calm, clear, concise (for a change!) and capable. How much more alliteration can I squeeze in?

That left the contenders with no other choice than to leave Mr Robertshaw well alone - apart from a cheeky quip by Paul Moulton as to whether he would take the Chief Minister's job.

So they wisely took their attack to the other sitting member, Brenda Cannell.

And in two cases, attack they certainly did.

If the Isle of Man was to continue being fed an extra £million VAT revenue every day by the UK, and thus securing our future, I would vote for Paul Moulton and Richard Kissack - for shear and utter entertainment value. Like a couple of peas in a pod they jumped up against Brenda Cannell at every available opportunity. Their two-pronged attacks displayed an empathy that would have made Jedward blush. post-4192-0-04273800-1315472056_thumb.jpg At times though, they were more like muppets Jerry Statler and Conrad Waldorf post-4192-0-05781600-1315471103_thumb.jpg insisting that Brenda Cannell "go on" and name who she would vote for as Chief Minister, and despite the uncertainty of any answer anyway, she replied with the names of two people in the Keys she described as capable: Allan Bell and Steve Rodan. It didn't shut them up and there was further insistences that Mrs Cannell be more explicit in her remarks. Not unreasonably in some case I have to add.

Geraldine O'Neill spoke clearly and seems to know the buzz phrases and answers. In a couple of cases I was mouthing the words, my family in the room surprised at the woman's voice synchronised on the radio with me. When the going got tough though, the Oirish brogue came out. Although Mrs O'Neill is always keen to underline here Manxieness (does it really matter anyway?) I would doubt that I would want yet another person in Tynwald who is keen to develop the Manx language. That really is near to last on the list of MHKs things-to-do.

John Karran seems a nice person, but his lateness in declaring will play against him. In other circumstances he would be useful as a protest vote.

So, Chris Robertshaw could be in again but who is going to sit next to him and work with him for the future of Douglas East and the Isle of Man?

We might see who is going to sit next to him when the requisition for East Douglas is arranged,and the audience have a chance to ask them questions,instead of a Manx Radio presenter.

We might see who is going to sit next to him when the requisition for East Douglas is arranged,and the audience have a chance to ask them questions,instead of a Manx Radio presenter.

God forbid that it should be Kissack - he sounded almost as much an arrogant a**ehole as Houghton did in his recent interview! And the deathly silence - followed by semi-coherent mutterings - when the question was asked about the government having too much influence over the media, was extremely telling.

If there was a new candidate worth supporting I'd be more than willing to endorse him/her. There isn't!

Mr Robertshaw (although I had some misgivings about him before he was elected) has proved himself to be both able and independent.

Brenda, although she may not be the ideal choice, is still streets ahead of the very poor bunch of no-hopers challenging her.

God forbid that it should be Kissack - he sounded almost as much an arrogant a**ehole as Houghton did in his recent interview! And the deathly silence - followed by semi-coherent mutterings - when the question was asked about the government having too much influence over the media, was extremely telling.

If there was a new candidate worth supporting I'd be more than willing to endorse him/her. There isn't!

Mr Robertshaw (although I had some misgivings about him before he was elected) has proved himself to be both able and independent.

Brenda, although she may not be the ideal choice, is still streets ahead of the very poor bunch of no-hopers challenging her.

Kissack is a supporter of the bunch of nutters that are the "lawfull rebellion" group. He has publically supported them and so has no chance. I'm a Douglas East voter and I am confident that this idiot will not be anywhere near the top two when the result is declared.

Edited by Norseman

To Norseman, I would rather a passionate intelligent man like Richard Kissack enter the Keys than someone with no passion nor integrity. I have read up on Lawful Rebellion and although i dont believe in all that they say alot of there ideas are right and have got factual basis to them. I met Mr Kissack and couldnt fault his ideas, we are in 2011 people, surely it is time for change and different points of views. Norseman labelling people nutters shows an utter closed mindness.

I would rather a passionate intelligent man like than Richard Kissack enter the Keys

Okay then, well i know who im voting for, personally i feel Mr Kissack could bring certain experience and expertise in changing the Isle of Man, for the better, no-one can say that our government are doing a good job at the minute, I think we need a full restructure of our so called 'government' system if we're ever going to move forward and make change.

I would rather a passionate intelligent man like than Richard Kissack enter the Keys

Okay then, well i know who im voting for, personally i feel Mr Kissack could bring certain experience and expertise in changing the Isle of Man, for the better, no-one can say that our government are doing a good job at the minute, I think we need a full restructure of our so called 'government' system if we're ever going to move forward and make change.

If Kissack had any intelligence at all he would not have associated himself with this "lawful rebellion" group. Also, when interviewed on Manx Radio he would not have responded to the request for details of what he has done as a councilor by saying that he did it all behind closed doors, as this is often the best way to sort things out, and then go on to say that he wanted a FOI Act because he doesn't like government doing things in secret. Intelligent?

Edited by Norseman

If Kissack had any intelligence at all he would not have associated himself with this group. Also, when interviewed on Manx Radio he would not have responded to the request for details of what he has done as a councilor by saying that he did it all behind closed doors, as this is often the best way to sort things out, and then go on to say that he wanted a FOI Act because he doesn't like government doing things in secret. Intelligent?

Council is completely different to Government! Maybe he has not put himself across in the best light, but if you actually sit down and listen to Kissacks idea's and plans then you would be pleasantly suprised. The FOI Act should be in place, how do we know what the government are doing with our taxes and whether or not it is in our best interests?

I met Mr Kissack and couldnt fault his ideas

Welcome to the forums, Mr Kissack

If you saying that, thinking that i am actually Richard Kissack then you would be wrong. I live in Douglas East and was genuinely suprised by the ideas Richard presented to me.

I met Mr Kissack and couldnt fault his ideas

Welcome to the forums, Mr Kissack

If you saying that, thinking that i am actually Richard Kissack then you would be wrong. I live in Douglas East and was genuinely suprised by the ideas Richard presented to me.

I think we were all 'surprised.' You, however, appear to be the only one who has been impressed.

If Kissack had any intelligence at all he would not have associated himself with this group. Also, when interviewed on Manx Radio he would not have responded to the request for details of what he has done as a councilor by saying that he did it all behind closed doors, as this is often the best way to sort things out, and then go on to say that he wanted a FOI Act because he doesn't like government doing things in secret. Intelligent?

Council is completely different to Government! Maybe he has not put himself across in the best light, but if you actually sit down and listen to Kissacks idea's and plans then you would be pleasantly suprised. The FOI Act should be in place, how do we know what the government are doing with our taxes and whether or not it is in our best interests?

Coucil is not "completely different to Government". It's local government. If like Mr Kissack you think that the FOI Act would/should not apply to local authorities then you both have very strange ideas about democracy and accountability.

Edited by Norseman