General Election 2011 - Douglas East

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shouldnt these forums be about constructive comments not just character assasination

Sometimes, character assassination is constructive!

When has character assasination ever been constructive? Criticising someones beliefs and opinions again shows somewhat a closed minded person.

Shouldnt these forums be about constructive comments not just character assasination

Yes, I find much of the mindless criticism that goes on depressing. But surely commenting on the fact that candidates may have links to dodgy organisations and, in Mr Kissack's case, that they have bizarre and inconsistent views about such important issues as FOI, are legitamate comments to make?

When has character assasination ever been constructive? Criticising someones beliefs and opinions again shows somewhat a closed minded person.

"A harmless hilarity and a buoyant cheerfulness are not infrequent concomitants of genius; and we are never more deceived than when we mistake gravity for greatness, solemnity for science, and pomposity for erudition."

[Charles Caleb Colton 1780-1832]

Pricking the balloons of pomposity that are being floated by so many of our candidates is not only harmless, but deserves positive encouragement. Far from being the product of a closed mind, it reflects well on those who have a genuine concern about the standards and beliefs of the people who seek to represent them. Exposing some of the more ludicrous beliefs that are espoused is a very worthwhile pastime.

Yes, I find much of the mindless criticism that goes on depressing. But surely commenting on the fact that candidates may have links to dodgy organisations and, in Mr Kissack's case, that they have bizarre and inconsistent views about such important issues as FOI, are legitamate comments to make?

How has Lawful Rebellion ever been 'dodgy'? The reading material i have accessed and analysed show that members of this organisation have always protested peacefully, like i mentioned on a previous thread i do not believe in everything that they say, but however some of the factual evidence they have accumaleted is shocking. I keep an open mind; something i see very few people doing? Mr Kissack is standing for MHK to make a change to the way our beautiful isle is run, maybe its just myself but i do feel sometimes like im living under a dictator, we are the big brother generation, surely its time for change. It takes one man to change things, i believe Mr Kissack is this man.

Sometimes, character assassination is constructive!

Yes you should always avoid character assassination.

I remember hearing Hitler was kind to his dog...well, until he had poisoned it with cyanide to test it out. So he can't have been all bad eh?

Ya nutter.

It takes one man to change things, i believe Mr Kissack is this man.

He does appear to change his mind a bit.

Be a member of a political party or don't be a member of a political party? Do things behind closed doors or don't do things behind closed doors?

My manifesto is now available on My link

My main thrust will be

Representation, restoring our trust in the Govt and an honest approach with the Islands people.

Having our Govt informing us of what it is doing on our behalf and why.

Economic Recovery with fairness to ensure that all sectors of our society are paying their way to our revenue.

That the burden is not placed inequitably on those who can least afford it.

Reform of Tynwald.

To begin the downsizing of the public sector and encourage the growth of the Private sector to absorb these workers.

John W Karran.

My manifesto is now available on My link

My main thrust will be

Representation, restoring our trust in the Govt and an honest approach with the Islands people.

Having our Govt informing us of what it is doing on our behalf and why.

Economic Recovery with fairness to ensure that all sectors of our society are paying their way to our revenue.

That the burden is not placed inequitably on those who can least afford it.

Reform of Tynwald.

To begin the downsizing of the public sector and encourage the growth of the Private sector to absorb these workers.

John W Karran.

I'm Douglas West so won't comment on your ideas but I commend you for actually publishing a manifesto, very few of the other candidates seem to have bothered yet.

Edited by mojomonkey

If there is just one of the current shambolic circus of half - wits, chancers and cynics occupying seats in the Keys that I would like to see emptied it's that odious piece of garbage Cannell. She's an even bigger disgrace than woodentop Henderson. Her loathsome self- serving cynical distortion of the breast care issue ( as expertly set out by Cableguy) is enough to render her unfit for public office. And I say that as a 62 year old woman who, god forbid , may need the service.... and who wants to see more women elected.... but not this wretched harridan.

I have to say, that is the most offensive post I have ever read on a Manx forum.

I strongly disagree. It'a a pefectly valid, honest - if strongly worded - opinion about a publically elected politician. It may not be positive, but that's politics. If you want pink fluffy bunny talk, work in a Kindergarten :)

Mr Amadeus

This may be Uhtred's perfectly valid and honest opinion, but to express it shows an alarming bitterness. "....odious piece of garbage.....a wretched harridan".....? Where on earth has that come from?

I'll give anyone who stands for public office a good kicking but I know I will express my opinion to their face if necessary. Maybe Uhtred is that particular type of woman that would use her words face-to-face, outwith the cosy confines of her internet anonymity.

"Strongly worded"...? Like the warnings on the BBC about a programme using 'strong' language, when all there is to come is the profuse use of the 'f' word and disgusting schoolboy language about bodily functions, Uhtred's post was not strongly worded. It was weak and cheap.

No I don't want pink fluffy bunny talk, but I don't want pink fluffy politicians either.

:) back at ya!

Edited by Theodolite

Does anyone know if the Liberal Vannin Party deliberately delivered pamphlets to some places in Douglas East despite not having any candidates in the constituency? I just wondered if they meant to do it, or it was an accidental spamming.