Appalling English In Manx Primary Schools

Gilly G. Ossenfeffer

A discussion about bad English posted on Manx Forums, where spelling, grammar and clear expression are so highly prized, that they are used only on special occasions.

A good example of irony?.

Please discuss.

Faxed, ever so sorry, fixed.

Kind of reminds me of A poem from the welsh teacher in please sir.

It ended in "i would buy a new machine gun and annihilate 5C".

Edited by pauld

Pet hates that I hear / read all the time over here.

I seen

must of /could of / would of

pissed of

loose instead of lose

use to instead of used to

I'm sure there are more but those spring to mind the most.

Heh - far more annoying has to be anyone even remotely famous giving it the whole "you know" - or more often "y'know" every other word in interviews.

Bunch of mongs, the lot of them "y'know" . ;)

fixed

Edited by pauld

I really have to vent. Why aren't primary teachers teaching kids basic English? I have become step-mum to a lovely, bright 8 year old boy who has had his entire education on the Island. He, and all his classmates say:

"We WAS doing maths today", and "What are YOUS doing later?", and "We DONE English today". Now, he is very bright and loves learning the correct way to talk but is amazed that what he has been saying all these years is wrong as nobody - not a single teacher - has bothered to correct him. What the hell are they doing?

These teachers have presumably benefited from an education themselves so why are they withholding the same privilege from these kids? When these kids go for a job interview, they will not stand a chance the minute they open their mouths.

I am appalled. :angry:

Spoken english is just one aspect. If the child is writing english within the correct parameters then I shouldn't worry too much. At eight, as long as he understands vocabulary, its usage, spelling & place then the rest will come. He will have another 10 years before it will hinder his career opportunities and will hopefully have grown out of the need to mimic his peer group.

"Viewed freely, the English language is the accretion and growth of every dialect, race, and range of time, and is both the free and compacted composition of all." [Walt Whitman quotes [1819-1892]

There is not (and never was) a single, correct form Of the English language - either spoken or written. The very strength of it is that it changes and adapts continuously.

We may dislike the popular words and phrases used by our children, or their pronunciation of them, but I'm willing to bet that our own grandparents would be appalled at the way we misuse or abuse the language according to the standards that they held dear.

Must you refer to children as 'kids'? Shame on you!

I don't like the word 'kids' as it seems a little derogatory for some reason. We had elocution lessons at school, although it was in high school not in primary school. When children start learning English Language and English Literature in high school hopefully their English will start to improve, so don't worry about it just yet. It's true that they will pick up dialects that they mix with every day, I don't speak as 'posh' as I used to these days after years of working with and living with different people - so much for those elocution lessons eh.

"Latest research suggests that what was once a passing fad may be evolving into a genuine dialect, dubbed ‘multiethnic youth vernacular’, with its own vocabulary, accent and intonation. This new form of English, heavily influenced by Black and Asian speech, may actually displace what used to be known as the Queens’ English."

I'm glad the fad is dying out of using the questioning raise in intonation at the end of each sentence, or in severe case at the end of each phrase.

Almost in direct contrast, what we have now is an equally annoying fad of speaking with an effected stint, nearly a pause, shoved into almost random places in a sentence, as if to add emphasis. The local 'kids' have really picked up on this one, perhaps thinking it makes them sound intelligent and considered, I'm not sure.

"Viewed freely, the English language is the accretion and growth of every dialect, race, and range of time, and is both the free and compacted composition of all." [Walt Whitman quotes [1819-1892]

There is not (and never was) a single, correct form Of the English language - either spoken or written. The very strength of it is that it changes and adapts continuously.

We may dislike the popular words and phrases used by our children, or their pronunciation of them, but I'm willing to bet that our own grandparents would be appalled at the way we misuse or abuse the language according to the standards that they held dear.

Not looking to be argumentative here lonan, but it strikes me, that if there was not a concise form of English, we would not have concise dictionary, the English language is best described as versatile i would think, it changes slowly but surely through popular usage of certain words, its open to fad word changes, loose instead of lose will be a likely defintion change through popular usage

eventually, does not look like that one will go away, a whole keyboard generation has grown up using the definition of loose as meaning lose.

loose instead of lose will be a likely defintion change through popular usage

eventually, does not look like that one will go away, a whole keyboard generation has grown up using the definition of loose as meaning lose.

Have to disagree with you there Paul. Loose vs lose is just a spelling error, made by people who make spelling mistakes for whatever reason. Keyboard generation has grown up with it because 'loose' is a real word and doesn't get a red squiggle to mark it out as wrong.