Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Declan

General Election 2011 - Michael

Anyone wlse wondering whether "interestedman" is Alf Cannan, and "Vanity" is Heavey.

I have to say, I thought Cannan was an overbearing clown on the radio, but at least he had something to say

No, I'm not Alf Cannan in disguise and you can't have your £5.

And I'm not Vanity!

Did I really hear on MR this morning one of the candidates for Michael explain he is not standing in the constituency where he lives due to a friendship with another standing candidate?

I think I may have dreamt it but it did sound like Manx politics at its worst and I am surprised no one else picked up on it. I can understand in some respects the logic of say a Beecroft being parachuted into South but to not stand due a friendship sounds crackers.

Did I really hear on MR this morning one of the candidates for Michael explain he is not standing in the constituency where he lives due to a friendship with another standing candidate?

I didn't hear it but I'm 99% sure it's David Talbot you're talking about. I still don't know his reasons for picking Michael but I strongly suspect it was to do with there being no sitting MHK at this election.

David has actually joined ManxForums and posted in this thread (after a fashion) so David, if you are reading, could you clarify?

He did say that he wasn't standing in Glenfaba because of his friendship with David Anderson (which, IMO, is just one of many good reasons not to vote for him)

Edited by Terse

He did say that he wasn't standing in Glenfaba because of his friendship with David Anderson (which, IMO, is just one of many good reasons not to vote for him)

Can you confirm Bernie that you are not Norseman,or are you two just "good friends ?"

I think I may have dreamt it but it did sound like Manx politics at its worst and I am surprised no one else picked up on it. I can understand in some respects the logic of say a Beecroft being parachuted into South but to not stand due a friendship sounds crackers.

Well I don't know, I would have thought putting friendship before political ambition is an admirable quality & I respect his his decision and his honesty. I think this kind of selflessness is an important trait in our politicians & is certainly no reason not to vote for him.

That said I don't think he's the right man for the job, for a number of reasons but mainly that he is standing against one of, if not the strongest candidate I have heard so far in any constituency, ie Paul Heavey. He is the only candidate I have heard with any sensible solution to the (so called) bloated public sector, appears to be fair minded & actually have an interest in helping people & the good of the island. IMHO he wiped the floor with Alfie Cannan in the constituency debate on a number of issues & if I lived in Michael he would definately get my vote.

Well I don't know, I would have thought putting friendship before political ambition is an admirable quality & I respect his his decision and his honesty. I think this kind of selflessness is an important trait in our politicians & is certainly no reason not to vote for him.

That said I don't think he's the right man for the job, for a number of reasons but mainly that he is standing against one of, if not the strongest candidate I have heard so far in any constituency, ie Paul Heavey. He is the only candidate I have heard with any sensible solution to the (so called) bloated public sector, appears to be fair minded & actually have an interest in helping people & the good of the island. IMHO he wiped the floor with Alfie Cannan in the constituency debate on a number of issues & if I lived in Michael he would definately get my vote.

Well I do live in Michael and he certainly won't get my vote. Anyone who is naive enough to think that dumping a car for several days at Douglas Road Corner with his name stuck on it is enough to get me to vote for him has another think coming.

Well I do live in Michael and he certainly won't get my vote. Anyone who is naive enough to think that dumping a car for several days at Douglas Road Corner with his name stuck on it is enough to get me to vote for him has another think coming.

I think Monkey Boy you must be having a laugh. In fact, you are off your rocker, you are Paul Heavey or are smoking the wrong kind of tobacco. I listened to that debate with three other work colleagues yesterday morning and I'm afraid we all agreed that Cannan was streets ahead. i would honestly like to say otherwise but unfortunately that was the case. As far as Talbot is concerned, nice enough fella but "mates with Anderson" is just not washing I'm afraid.

I'm selling it in a couple of weeks from now. I take it you won't be interested?

I think Monkey Boy you must be having a laugh. In fact, you are off your rocker, you are Paul Heavey or are smoking the wrong kind of tobacco. I listened to that debate with three other work colleagues yesterday morning and I'm afraid we all agreed that Cannan was streets ahead. i would honestly like to say otherwise but unfortunately that was the case. As far as Talbot is concerned, nice enough fella but "mates with Anderson" is just not washing I'm afraid.

What line of work are you in?

I've decided I'm not going to use my vote. Its not apathy but due to the fact that they're a bunch of fucking idiots. :P

You ARE my wife and I claim my £5.00

I've decided I'm not going to use my vote. Its not apathy but due to the fact that they're a bunch of fucking idiots. :P

Nice comment. Whatever you think, at least they have had the courage to stand up and be counted, unlike you knob head. And I bet you are the first to whinge and moan yet you can't even be bothered to cast a vote. Whose the F@king idiot ?

Nice comment. Whatever you think, at least they have had the courage to stand up and be counted, unlike you knob head. And I bet you are the first to whinge and moan yet you can't even be bothered to cast a vote. Whose the F@king idiot ?

I am an idiot, yes. Probably not the first to moan, after all, this is the Isle of Man. It wasn't an easy decision for me to make but I cannot vote for any of them (see other post re fucking idiots).

Kind regards

Mrs Knob Head.

;)