Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Declan

General Election 2011 - Michael

Mr Heavey, please give up now and stop making a complete tit of yourself on here on a regular basis. Go and focus on your taxi business..Thanks. :cool:

Mr Heavey, please give up now and stop making a complete tit of yourself on here on a regular basis. Go and focus on your taxi business..Thanks. :cool:

Oh dear, Manx Bean obviously had trouble getting a taxi last night! :D

Mr Heavey - not having met you before, I was quite looking forward to seeing you at the Jurby Civic Service (followed by very nice refreshments indeed)but it seemed that you were not there. Or did I miss you?

Mr Heavey - not having met you before, I was quite looking forward to seeing you at the Jurby Civic Service (followed by very nice refreshments indeed)but it seemed that you were not there. Or did I miss you?

Sorry I was unable to make it today. Both me and my wife Lynne have been suffering from vomiting sickness over the last couple of days, apparently it's going around again. But with a little luck I'll be back on form in time for tomorrow's requisition meeting in Jurby and I'll hope to see you there?

Sorry I was unable to make it today. Both me and my wife Lynne have been suffering from vomiting sickness over the last couple of days, apparently it's going around again. But with a little luck I'll be back on form in time for tomorrow's requisition meeting in Jurby and I'll hope to see you there?

Yes, apparently quite a few candidates are being infected with Bullshit.

Yes, apparently quite a few candidates are being infected with Bullshit.

Agree with the refreshments - best I've had anywhere for a long time! Well done Jurby! You missed a treat Paul.

Did I really hear on MR this morning one of the candidates for Michael explain he is not standing in the constituency where he lives due to a friendship with another standing candidate?

I think I may have dreamt it but it did sound like Manx politics at its worst and I am surprised no one else picked up on it. I can understand in some respects the logic of say a Beecroft being parachuted into South but to not stand due a friendship sounds crackers.

Well I don't know, I would have thought putting friendship before political ambition is an admirable quality & I respect his his decision and his honesty. I think this kind of selflessness is an important trait in our politicians & is certainly no reason not to vote for him.

That said I don't think he's the right man for the job, for a number of reasons but mainly that he is standing against one of, if not the strongest candidate I have heard so far in any constituency, ie Paul Heavey. He is the only candidate I have heard with any sensible solution to the (so called) bloated public sector, appears to be fair minded & actually have an interest in helping people & the good of the island. IMHO he wiped the floor with Alfie Cannan in the constituency debate on a number of issues & if I lived in Michael he would definately get my vote.

Well I do live in Michael and he certainly won't get my vote. Anyone who is naive enough to think that dumping a car for several days at Douglas Road Corner with his name stuck on it is enough to get me to vote for him has another think coming.

I think Monkey Boy you must be having a laugh. In fact, you are off your rocker, you are Paul Heavey or are smoking the wrong kind of tobacco. I listened to that debate with three other work colleagues yesterday morning and I'm afraid we all agreed that Cannan was streets ahead. i would honestly like to say otherwise but unfortunately that was the case. As far as Talbot is concerned, nice enough fella but "mates with Anderson" is just not washing I'm afraid.

Did I really hear on MR this morning one of the candidates for Michael explain he is not standing in the constituency where he lives due to a friendship with another standing candidate?

I think I may have dreamt it but it did sound like Manx politics at its worst and I am surprised no one else picked up on it. I can understand in some respects the logic of say a Beecroft being parachuted into South but to not stand due a friendship sounds crackers.

It is Manx politics at it's worst. What happens if his good friend Anderson wants to do something that clashes with Michael's interests? What will he do then? Do we really want to elect Talbot and get Anderson as well? No - think Mr Talbot might be heading back to Dalby empty handed.

With one day to go we have yet to be doorstepped by Cannan, Heavey or Talbot. Although we did get the Talbot card through the door a couple of weeks ago to say, 'I called but you were out'. While we were in.

Oh, and I saw Alf Cannan driving through Ballaugh taking a (I presume) very important phone call. Probably someone giving him directions to Ballaugh.

So thanks for all your efforts, chaps.

With one day to go we have yet to be doorstepped by Cannan, Heavey or Talbot. Although we did get the Talbot card through the door a couple of weeks ago to say, 'I called but you were out'. While we were in.

Oh, and I saw Alf Cannan driving through Ballaugh taking a (I presume) very important phone call. Probably someone giving him directions to Ballaugh.

So thanks for all your efforts, chaps.

Jim, to be fair to Talbot and Cannan they appear to have done loads of campaigning, in fact I'm sick of the sight of them ! We had calls from both (although one bored the missus to death) and they definitely did our estate. I still have no idea what Paul Heavey looks like.

Jim, to be fair to Talbot and Cannan they appear to have done loads of campaigning, in fact I'm sick of the sight of them ! We had calls from both (although one bored the missus to death) and they definitely did our estate. I still have no idea what Paul Heavey looks like.

Do you live in Kirk Michael?

Do you live in Kirk Michael?

Ballaugh.

Paul, I read through your leaflet which dropped through my door recently. When I came to the passage which said "If you believe that the people of Kirk Michael, Ballaugh and Jurby are best represented by a Manx-born, life-long Michael resident, I am your man.", is about the time that you lost any chance of me voting for you.

The fact that you seem to think being born on the Island automatically makes you more suitable for office than a non-native Manx resident, no matter what their qualities or qualifications, leads me to suppose that, if elected, you will automatically treat the more than 50% of the island's population - who would be paying your wages - as second-class citizens. As someone who is not Manx born and has 'only' been resident in Michael for 10 years, I find this offensive.

Is that your only selling point - you were born in the IOM and have never lived anywhere else? I happen to believe that the best person for the job is the best person for the job, irrespective of where they were born or raised.

It says a lot for the state of Manx politics that the only contenders for the constituency are a religious fundamentalist, a borderline racist and someone trying to ride on his dad's coattails.

Jim Calagon, isn't this what you posted after Paul Heavey left a calling card at you house? Clever that considering he's never been to your door don't you think? I am pretty sure his email and phone number were on that card. If you wanted to speak to him maybe you could have contacted him yourself, no? If you didn't want to speak to him, what the hell are you bitching about, think yourself lucky he never came back! :D