Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Declan

General Election 2011 - Michael

You will all get the chance to see the candidates in action tonight at Kirk Michael School 7.30. Perhaps that might give people a better idea than reading manifestos?

Oh and while I am here.....Jimcalagon, did you bother your ass to go to the requisition meeting in Ballaugh last night or were you waiting for that to come to your door too? :D

Edited by Vanity

Jim Calagon, isn't this what you posted after Paul Heavey left a calling card at you house? Clever that considering he's never been to your door don't you think? I am pretty sure his email and phone number were on that card.

I don't know whether it was Paul himself or someone else who posted it. It was either delivered during the day (when most people including myself are out at work, earning money to pay the taxes which pay MHKs' wages), in which case I wasn't there to answer the door, or in the evening, in which case the door would have been answered had someone knocked on it.

If you wanted to speak to him maybe you could have contacted him yourself, no?

I don't particularly want to speak to him, I think I know all I need to from reading his manifesto, his posts in this thread and hearing him on Manx Radio.

If you didn't want to speak to him, what the hell are you bitching about, think yourself lucky he never came back! :D

Nice attitude you have there Mrs. Heavey, typical of a lot of people involved in Manx politics, it seems.

Oh and while I am here.....Jimcalagon, did you bother your ass to go to the requisition meeting in Ballaugh last night or were you waiting for that to come to your door too? :D

NoThe first I knew about the meeting was from looking at a message on Miracles' recruitment twitter feed last night, after the meeting had ended. The only other mention I saw of it was on the Manx Radio news page, posted at lunchtime yesterday, which I missed and only found today because I was specifically looking for it. If I had known, I would definitely have been there as it's a minute's walk from my front door.

And the only mention I can find of tonight's meeting is on the post above yours which I have only just read and that started nearly half an hour ago.

So I'll just have to base my voting on the manifestos and media, unless someone buttonholes me when I go to vote tomorrow - around 6ish, Ballaugh Parish Hall, if Paul wants to come and give me a smack. :)

I wouldn't worry about him. My recollection of his posts on this forum are;

whinging cos he met a road sweeper on his way home one night in Grand Prix week,

whinging in the form of an open letter cos he had a leaflet about the end to end race put through his door when he's not on the course

and now whinging because a candidate hasn't been round to his house when he was in even though he doesn't want to speak to him anyway.

He is the archetypal whingin pom, why the fuck we allow them to vote is beyond me.

whinging cos he met a road sweeper on his way home one night in Grand Prix week,

whinging in the form of an open letter cos he had a leaflet about the end to end race put through his door when he's not on the course

and now whinging because a candidate hasn't been round to his house when he was in even though he doesn't want to speak to him anyway.

He is the archetypal whingin pom, why the fuck we allow them to vote is beyond me.

:D

Jim Calagon, isn't this what you posted after Paul Heavey left a calling card at you house? Clever that considering he's never been to your door don't you think? I am pretty sure his email and phone number were on that card.

I don't know whether it was Paul himself or someone else who posted it. It was either delivered during the day (when most people including myself are out at work, earning money to pay the taxes which pay MHKs' wages), in which case I wasn't there to answer the door, or in the evening, in which case the door would have been answered had someone knocked on it.

If you wanted to speak to him maybe you could have contacted him yourself, no?

I don't particularly want to speak to him, I think I know all I need to from reading his manifesto, his posts in this thread and hearing him on Manx Radio.

If you didn't want to speak to him, what the hell are you bitching about, think yourself lucky he never came back! :D

Nice attitude you have there Mrs. Heavey, typical of a lot of people involved in Manx politics, it seems.

Mrs Heavey would be Paul Heavey's Mother or Wife I expect....neither of which I am! I like him, but not that much :D Nor am I involved in Manx politics which I am sure you will be relieved to hear. With regards to attitude....pot, kettle, black, jimcalagon. Happy voting! :D

I can see a pattern emerging here :D

I went to the meeting in Ballaugh last night as I had a prior commitment tonight. I'm surprised to hear that all 3 candidates spoke well tonight, as Mr Heavey was a complete joker last night. He was ill-prepared, spoke nonsense most of the time and concluded the evening by claiming that although he was "a pillock", he was an honest "pillock". His words, not mine.

Mr Cannan and Mr Talbot were both well-prepared, spoke very well, and answered every question by providing a well-informed response. I may not have agreed with 100% of what either of them said, but I would say they were head and shoulders above the "Micheal Pillock".

However, because Mr Talbot stated that he only intended to stand for one term because of his age, and because he has parchuted himself into another constituency, I'm afraid he took the edge off his chances in my books. That said, you can't help but getting the impression that he is an astute guy - to be honest him and Mr Cannan both are...could be a close call.

As for knocking on the door, Mr Cannan has been round, but the other two sent 'called when you were out' cards...sadly, I was stood at the door to let the chap delivering Mr Talbot's hand me his card...oops-a-daisy.

Anyway, may the best man win tomorrow..

If Mr Heavey wins, I'll willingly run around the entire constituency screaming "I am the real Pillock around here" :cool:

Edited by Manx Bean

I went to the meeting in Ballaugh last night as I had a prior commitment tonight. I'm surprised to hear that all 3 candidates spoke well tonight, as Mr Heavey was a complete joker last night. He was ill-prepared, spoke nonsense most of the time and concluded the evening by claiming that although he was "a pillock", he was an honest "pillock". His words, not mine.

Mr Cannan and Mr Talbot were both well-prepared, spoke very well, and answered every question by providing a well-informed response. I may not have agreed with 100% of what either of them said, but I would say they were head and shoulders above the "Micheal Pillock".

However, because Mr Talbot stated that he only intended to stand for one term because of his age, and because he has parchuted himself into another constituency, I'm afraid he took the edge off his chances in my books. That said, you can't help but getting the impression that he is an astute guy - to be honest him and Mr Cannan both are...could be a close call.

As for knocking on the door, Mr Cannan has been round, but the other two sent 'called when you were out' cards...sadly, I was stood at the door to let the chap delivering Mr Talbot's hand me his card...oops-a-daisy.

If Mr Heavey wins, I'll willingly run around the entire constituency screaming "I am the real Pillock around here" :cool:

You edited this post and still spelled Michael wrong. In your own words, "You are the real pillock around here." :D

Having just returned home from tonight's requisition meeting in Kirk Michael I thought I would just like to take this opportunity before the big day to say thank you to everyone who contributes here on Manxforums. It has been a remarkable experience running for the House of Keys and no matter what the outcome I have no regrets because if nothing else at least I can say that I've tried.

Good luck to all the candidates around the Island for tomorrow and let's hope for a good turn out.

Well said Bean. I concur with your remarks fully. I know I am going with the candidate I think will account himself well on our behalf - but Talbot is making it a contest. If only I had been convinced it wasn't going to be the David Anderson show in the long term then maybe, but Cannan has thrown off his "coat tails mantle" and done a good job on the campaign trail. Credit to Michael, at least we have a half decent choice. Thank fuck I don't live in Castletown.

And I have to say to Paul H, well done for standing. You are a complete joker, but at least you raise a smile in this household ! may the best man win.

Congratulations to Alfie Cannan tonight! He had a convincing win out there - well deserved indeed!

less deserved, more inherited.