Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

I was wondering what sort of Broadband speeds people are getting in PSM? Is there a mini exchange of some sort or do connections come direct from Port Erin?

As far as I know, direct from Port Erin.

Avg 11Mb here at the top of the village

Baz what are your Attenuation and SNR stats?

Mine are 35.5 and 5.4

I was syncing at 8000 kbps but after removing the bell wires it just above 13,000 kbps

Baz what are your Attenuation and SNR stats?

Mine are 35.5 and 5.4

I was syncing at 8000 kbps but after removing the bell wires it just above 13,000 kbps

If I could find it in my DGFV338 admin pages I would happily tell you, knew where to find it in the DG834 models

I normally get around 9-10Mb with a SNR of 6.3 and 34.5 Attentuation

I haven't tried removing the bell wire yet, keep meaning to give it a try.. maybe at the weekend :)

I have now fitted a proper ADSL face place which has brought my attenuation down by 1db and increase the noise by.6 db 34.5 & 6.1 but I think I have hit my max sync now at 13.3mbps given the distance from the exchange. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

1434314784.png

Edited by bilbo

Guys/Gals

What services are you all using? I am looking to get new broadband installed and wondered if any of you had good/bad views on any of the providers? I only need very basic services and am not a heavy user or gamer.

It would be great to be able to watch non terrestrial TV online however so any info greatly appreciated.

I'm in Port St Mary near the harbour if that makes any difference to options.

Also is anyone aware of the 'services' that may be available using the new (well last few years) cables installed infront of houses? I've had a blue rope and the end of a pipe sticking out at the front of the property for a while - any idea what they are?

Thanks.

There is now a fibre cabinet in PSM which is well within 2 km but unfortunately as I am on the edge of PSM I am still connected to Port Erin and cannot be re-routed.

Does anyone know if it is likely another will be commissioned ?

Is that the Green cabinet down on Queens Road? I wondered what all these stickers where on cabinets announcing that 'Fibre was here'. Seen a few more of them in Colby and Ballasalla

Yep, thats it.

As an aside, is there anyone on the Island that does external network cable cut to size?