Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Black

Pa Equipment

Hi

I need to buy a portable PA system for a medium to large outdoor sporting event and for use on future events. I am struggling to find any companies locally that advertise the supply of this kind of equipment (several hire).

Does anybody have any recommendations of local companies/individuals that can supply this kind of set up?

As my knowledge of this field is limited I would rather keep the purchase local so I can seek future advice/repair if necessary and importantly supporting local business.

Thanks for your help

Harry

I would speak to Peter Norris Music. They do some P.A. stuff, and I am sure they can supply it. The thing is most people who require it pretty much know exactly what they want. Have a chat with them. See what they suggest.

That said, Portable and medium to large outdoor sporting events may not mix. Depends how portable, and what kind of source/signal (e.g. music?, commentary?) is to be used, as to what you really require

I would speak to Peter Norris Music. They do some P.A. stuff, and I am sure they can supply it. The thing is most people who require it pretty much know exactly what they want. Have a chat with them. See what they suggest.

That said, Portable and medium to large outdoor sporting events may not mix. Depends how portable, and what kind of source/signal (e.g. music?, commentary?) is to be used, as to what you really require

Have a chat to the guys at Peter Norris, but also shop around online. Yes, Peter Norris are local but to be fair, they aren't cheap. And there are a number of very good sound engineers around. The trouble is that there really is so much choice. I've always thought Yamaha make some pretty robust and high quality portable stuff - See here for Yamah PA

Thanks

I’ll go down to Peter Norris’s tomorrow and see what they can do.

I have been given a list of equipment from a associate across who organises similar events, but it seems a little over the top with a 2000watt system at £3500 +vat, so I could really do with speaking with someone who can advise on what I actually need.

Cheers

Harry

Thanks

I have been given a list of equipment from a associate across who organises similar events, but it seems a little over the top with a 2000watt system at £3500 +vat, so I could really do with speaking with someone who can advise on what I actually need.

Cheers

Harry

I'd be interested to see the spec for that....must be quite a rig, and overkill I'd imagine..

Thanks

Cheers

Harry

I'd be interested to see the spec for that....must be quite a rig, and overkill I'd imagine..

I wonder how 'portable' it is, and how long the batteries last :lol: Edited by Tempus Fugit

The ideal system details I was given are as follows:

EV Zx4 Speaker Cabinets £1,938.00

EV Q1212 2 x 1000 watts amplifier £849.00

Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX mixer £359.00

Sure radio microphones £400.00

+ Stands & leads

Considering he knows we are only a local sports association, our pockets aren’t obviously as deep as in his organisation.

Harry

I use one of these on a regular basis. Works very well in large areas (has been used in a 1 acre field without a problem). Only bad point are the speaker stands that are a bit fragile.

The ideal system details I was given are as follows:

EV Zx4 Speaker Cabinets £1,938.00

EV Q1212 2 x 1000 watts amplifier £849.00

Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX mixer £359.00

Sure radio microphones £400.00

+ Stands & leads

Considering he knows we are only a local sports association, our pockets aren't obviously as deep as in his organisation.

Harry

Christ! Do they have the Quo trying to fill Wembley?

If I were you, I would be looking at something like a couple of JBL EON315 Active speakers (circa £400 each) and a little Soundcraft mixer (£200-300 or less). The Zen is great but a little overkill. The Shure microphones Are spot on. Total about £1400. If you decide that is not enough, you can always add more JBL EON315s. The beauty of this is that if you are at a small venue, you only need take 1 speaker, so you can adjust the size of the PA system to your requirements.

Just in case you are unsure, an active speaker has the amplifier(s) built in, so no need to lug a heavy 1000 watt amp around everywhere. However, it will require a power source.

Edited by Cambon