Vdsl Coming To Iom

Broadband speed was in the 'major importance' column when we were house hunting a few years ago, we passed on some pretty nice properties simply because they could scarcely get broadband at all or were so slow as to be practically ISDN.

For a household like ours where the telly quite literally never gets turned on from one month to the next, a solid internet connection is an absolute must.

Very similiar to the speeds of a few people I know out towards Bride (Dogmills).

I guess it's hard for MT justifying the expense of a remote cab for some places, still doesn't seem really fair some people barely getting 2mb, when others have 40 though...

So we got broadband way back when at 2meg, everyone got upgraded to 16 meg, we still had 2 meg, now they are going to 40meg and upload faster than our.....2meg.

Word was last year that MT were going to install an ISAM out Port Soderick way, seems they have now backed out of it....penny pinching wankers.

1527584678.png

You can't charge people by speed. What happens when the speed to the property is 10mb but the internal wiring or diy ext socket causes a drop in speed? No fault on behalf of the isp. Same senario with a router that's not capable of adsl2+. On the back of that, the expence of the isp's measuing all current speeds based against what they should be getting and then figuring out a pricing plan would be silly.

Personally if I was so hung up on speed and it was stopping me from doing something, I would look at a 3g/hsdpa option which can potentially deliver 7-14mb (although the speed measurment is a lot different to broadband) you could even get baggs to waffle to you about his microwave solution!

If you look at the figures, we are better off than the uk in terms of average speed and coverage. Its not a manx dilema where there are differing speeds, its a distance/technology issue.

I may well be wrong here, but, as my home router knows what speed it is synced to the exchange at, then surely the exchange knows what speed it is synced to my router at. This gives MT a speed to charge the customer for (or pass to another ISP) no matter what home diy cabling is involved or who's fault it is.

Figuring out a pricing plan shouldn't be that big a job either.

As it is I'm not going to upgrade to VDSL as it is isn't worth the extra cost. If they priced it according to speed obtained I would upgrade, I'd get slightly faster broadband and my ISP would get more money from me.

Edited by RamseyGraham

X 25,000 or more broadband lines. Then what happens when you are paying more than your neighbour as he has a different speed to you? Your isp spends time investigating which is at cost, do they pass that cost on? Again, multiply that by 25,000 or more and you would have to be insane to cost that and roll it out.

Another consideration, what speed/price bracket would there be? 2mb/4/6/8/10/12 etc etc is just mental. As tech moves forward, speeds go up, as do prices and what if there were 2 or 3 price changes in a year? The isp's would be hung!

Has anyone here upgraded to VDSL with Sure? From a basic comparison of prices it looks like they are cheaper than wimanx and MT over an 18 month period provided you can get a reasonably priced router (less than the £126 difference to nearest competitor - and Sure appear to offer one anyway at £120). So if you are a Sure customer I was wondering how you are finding their VDSL service and did you purchase your own router to make a better saving or did you just go with their £120 option?

Very similiar to the speeds of a few people I know out towards Bride (Dogmills).

I guess it's hard for MT justifying the expense of a remote cab for some places, still doesn't seem really fair some people barely getting 2mb, when others have 40 though...

So we got broadband way back when at 2meg, everyone got upgraded to 16 meg, we still had 2 meg, now they are going to 40meg and upload faster than our.....2meg.

Word was last year that MT were going to install an ISAM out Port Soderick way, seems they have now backed out of it....penny pinching wankers.

1527584678.png

The speed in Foxdale is a joke! look at this.

1531210471.png

Have complained but they say that until they stick an isam (?) in the area then there is nothing they can do.

Edited by GringoQ

Maybe the ISPs should start charging each customer depending on the speeds they can achieve and maybe factor in how much is downloaded each month.

That scenario would be practically impossible at the moment due to the fact that the ISP's have to pay MT a wholesale charge per month for each customer.

You can't charge people by speed. What happens when the speed to the property is 10mb but the internal wiring or diy ext socket causes a drop in speed? No fault on behalf of the isp. Same senario with a router that's not capable of adsl2+. On the back of that, the expence of the isp's measuing all current speeds based against what they should be getting and then figuring out a pricing plan would be silly.

We disconnected our internal wiring so just line>BT socket>Router and still the same.

I need to download 20GB at the end of the month and will have to take my PC to a friend's house in Douglas to complete it in an orderly fashion. As they live within stone throwing distance of the exchange, this operation will take as follows.

At home approx 22 hours.

At friends approx 1 hour.

Manx Telecom have reaped the rewards of a monopoly for decades, yet have been very choosy in what they maintain. IF the lines out to us were in peak condition and quality, they would be capable of carrying at least 3-4 meg.

When I win the lottery, i will get my own fibre laid to the MEA and deliver a brown envelope to allow me to use their link across :P