Mark Cavendish

fergie

Yes well done Cav. Shame Sherwin and Liggott kept saying he was the first UK winner of the green jersey when we aren't in the bloody UK! He's British Paul and Phil!

Great Tour this year deserved yellow for Evans and HTC have been brilliant team for Cav who has repaid their efforts in fine style. 20 stages, 3 conseq. wins In Paris and the green. Fab!

Yes well done Cav. Shame Sherwin and Liggott kept saying he was the first UK winner of the green jersey when we aren't in the bloody UK! He's British Paul and Phil!

Great Tour this year deserved yellow for Evans and HTC have been brilliant team for Cav who has repaid their efforts in fine style. 20 stages, 3 conseq. wins In Paris and the green. Fab!

Agree totally, especially about the 'UK winner' comment. If he lost they would probably call him Manx!

Though to be fair one of the commentators did also say Cav would be the first person to remind them he is from the Isle of Man.

Well done to Ramsey Grammar for getting behind Cav and attracting loads of publicity.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendishs-french-lesson-for-manx-students.

Australian PM had to deny she was declaring a national holiday because of Cadel Evans. No risk of such a thing in the Isle of Man. They'll probably give Cav a nice reception and that will be it. But what he has achieved is awesome. No currently active rider can get close to his 20 stage wins record (nearest is 12).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France#Stage_wins

Australian PM had to deny she was declaring a national holiday because of Cadel Evans. No risk of such a thing in the Isle of Man. They'll probably give Cav a nice reception and that will be it. But what he has achieved is awesome. No currently active rider can get close to his 20 stage wins record (nearest is 12).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France#Stage_wins

i think he will destory that recored set of 24 somehow,

i think he will destory that recored set of 24 somehow,

Gazza - I think you'll find the record is 34 stages not 24. It was set by Eddy Mercx who is THE ultimate legend in cycle road racing in the entire history of the Tour. Called the greatest and most successful cyclist of ALL TIME!

Cav is a serious challenger for the title of the greatest active cyclist of our time. That of course would be the ultimate achievement for any aspiring cyclist. In fact, as far as sprinting goes, I would say he has already achieved that today.

But of ALL time? I can think of no reason why ANY cyclist of our generation should be set up to try and achieve that ... Certainly not Cav when he is only 26.

But I can imagine Cav beating the amazing Lance Armstrong - multiple winner of the General Classification - who in his entire career achieved an astounding 22 stage wins. By winning 3 more stages Cav would then be in the top four of all time.

If Cav achieves that - the greatest active stage winner of the TdF in the world and the 4th greatest of all time - then even the Manx might think of affirming such an achievement.

Who knows what he could achieve after that, if the Manx really get behind him....

Hello

A sincere congratulations to Mark Cavendish "The Manx Missisle" (the term "Manx Missisle has been used all through the tour for Mark - how much more do you need for the general British public to know he is from the Isle of Man???).

Liggot and Sherwin said he was the first British Isles rider to win the Green Jersey and I will lay you any money you want that they did not. The tour organisers changed the rules this year to make it more difficult for someone like Mark to win the Green Jersey yet he overcame that thus I tip my hat to the man.

However I think he will struggle to add further Green Jerseys maybe one more at the most, he is 6th/7th in the overall list of stage wins, I think (but just shy of two for overall stage wins for a sprinter) it is a betting certainty that he will never get near Merckx but will over haul Armstrong and possibly Hinault. For what he has acheived in cycling one really has to doff your hat but his legs will be 27 next year and 28 the following year (just too old in my opinion to be a continous threat for the green jersey but hey ho I will see). Personally he is not my cup of tea but he has put the Isle of Man on the map and all should be proud of his achievement, just never took to sprinters in the Tour De France, for me it is always about the climbers.

But well done CAV "The Manx Missisle" from the British Isles not the UK - show me your money.

Best Regards

Liggot and Sherwin said he was the first British Isles rider to win the Green Jersey and I will lay you any money you want that they did not. The tour organisers changed the rules this year to make it more difficult for someone like Mark to win the Green Jersey yet he overcame that thus I tip my hat to the man.

The rules were changed to help cav win Green. It was daft in previous years that he'd win so many sprints, more than anyone else yet not win green. Removing the extra intermediate sprints, and making the step down in points for 2nd place and beyond was designed to help stage winners like Cav take the jersey.

It's the route which hindered Cav, not the rules. Lots of slightly uphill finishes made it harder.

The rules were changed to help cav win Green. It was daft in previous years that he'd win so many sprints, more than anyone else yet not win green. Removing the extra intermediate sprints, and making the step down in points for 2nd place and beyond was designed to help stage winners like Cav take the jersey.

It's the route which hindered Cav, not the rules. Lots of slightly uphill finishes made it harder.

Hello

No it did not make it easier for him it was harder and he even said so himself - http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/260931/Mark-Cavendish-defies-rub-of-the-green-to-make-history.

Best Regards