Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
manxy

Recycled Tarmac

Recycled Tarmac - Is £9 a square metre a good price and work guaranteed for 3 years?

Has anyone heard of JJB Contractors?

Recycled Tarmac - Is £9 a square metre a good price and work guaranteed for 3 years?

what do they mean recycled tarmac. That rings warning bells in my ears.

and that does seam vary vary cheap.

did you ring them or they contact you, how did you find out about them

I think it's put down just the same as rock chippings.

It's the stuff that gets planed off the top and then it is crushed up.

Some places use it again as base chippings for roads and such - I don't think it can be laid back to its flat state, evn if mixed with other stuff. I do not think I would want it on my property if its come form the roads. You just don't know what shite has been soaking into it for years.

From what i remembered the plaining got mixed in with the new tar, and put back into the roads.

Because you used to be able to get a cuople wagon loads for free from the DOT if they were working around your area, as they used to just dump them.

but now with the new plant they have it set up to reuse these in the tar.

hence recyled tarmac,

and why i was asking why somebody was saying its recycled tarmac.

Or like you said they come along with the old plainings lash them down, and do the old set on fire to heat and bound again. not quite the same as real tarmac

From what i remembered the plaining got mixed in with the new tar, and put back into the roads.

Because you used to be able to get a cuople wagon loads for free from the DOT if they were working around your area, as they used to just dump them.

but now with the new plant they have it set up to reuse these in the tar.

hence recyled tarmac,

and why i was asking why somebody was saying its recycled tarmac.

Or like you said they come along with the old plainings lash them down, and do the old set on fire to heat and bound again. not quite the same as real tarmac

It was in the paper this week.

They would clear the area of grass/weed etc and then spray the area with weedkiller. The quote included supplying, laying and power rolling, although they did say that there is a limited supply till next time.

My dad always used to say things like if its too good to be true, then think twice, hence putting it out here and seeing if anyone had any comments, good or bad, as if MF doesn't know, then I wouldn't know who to ask.

Thanks for everyone's help

best thing to do is ask if you can see the same stuff at some other owners home.

Should not be a problem, as i have used passed jobs to show people what the work looks like finished, As i leave on good terms with the people there more than happy for me to pop round with people to show them.

thats my advice.

top tip, take pics of every stage.

You say removing of grass etc. is there hard standing under it or is it grass

Gypsy's i would say.

Anyone who isn't trading in their own name is required by law to register their trading name at the company registry. I've just done a search and there is no trace. I would report the matter to the registry and not touch them with a bargepole until they start to obey the law.

You can get this stuff free from the doi, its just plained up tarmac. It is also very good to make hard standings or tempery roads if compacted. My guess is they have got it from the doi in the first place as there arnt any other companys with a plainer.

Yes, as it happens.

Have you made any contact with the OFT? As useless / toothless as they are at many things, they MAY just have heard of this company.

You can get this stuff free from the doi, its just plained up tarmac. It is also very good to make hard standings or tempery roads if compacted. My guess is they have got it from the doi in the first place as there arnt any other companys with a plainer.

emm colas? you know the tarmacing company, they have one ;)

emm colas? you know the tarmacing company, they have one ;)

Thats true although i didnt think they did much anymore.