Tourism And The Cost Of Getting Here.

Max Power

To put this into perspective:

I booked exactly the same return flights for TT 2016 and TT 2017 with Easyjet.

In 2016 I booked nearly a month later than this year and yet the cost is £71.98 more expensive for 2017, not to mention that there is more capacity available this year.

2017 = £189.73

2016 = £117.78

Edited by ShohSlaynt

4 minutes ago, ShohSlaynt said:

To put this into perspective:

I booked exactly the same return flights for TT 2016 and TT 2017 with Easyjet.

In 2016 I booked nearly a month later than this year and yet the cost is £71.98 more expensive for 2017.

2017 = £189.73

2016 = £117.78

That's a friggin bargain for TT week. Usually pay more than that on a shitty Wednesday in February. 

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
On 25/08/2011 at 9:53 PM, Max Power said:

I have just had to nip off the island for one day. Out 3pm return 7pm next day by Steam Packet. I had to go, couldn't be booked 6 months in advance....£80.00 return to Liverpool!

Then today, talking to some MGP visitors, they said that this would be their last visit to the island as it was just becoming far too expensive. Added to that, a friend who has been coming to the Manx since 1981 has called to say he won't be coming as the cost for two people and a car was just unreasonable!

These are three experiences that I am aware of concerning travel this week. There must be others which never come to light. It doesn't matter what the government try to do to improve the tourism experience if the cost of getting here is prohibitive. The Steam Packet are making the paying public suffer for the Mezeron affair and they should be sorted out before it's too late...or is it already too late?

in London it can be 55.00 for ataxi to go 20 miles..so a boat to Liverpool for 80.00 doesn't seem so expensive

Edited by Kawasaki_Kidd

11 hours ago, MediaStar said:

You mean a Center Parcs where it costs £450 more to take your family by boat to Center Parcs? I'm not sure it would work. 

have you seen the prices? 9k for a week in shed, butlins is 7k, better than a few cyclists who spend rockall.....

As a fairly regular visitor the island, I have noticed that travel costs have increased over the last few years. Because of where I live, Heysham is quicker to get to than Liverpool. (Around a 3hr drive instead of nearly 5hrs).

On occasion I used to come over for a long weekend, park the car at the port and travel as a foot passenger. Heysham port now want £12 per day parking. Not that long ago it was about £6.50 or £7.50.  Bringing the car over at TT was always expensive and to be avoided, but at MGP it was more or less standard fare. I priced it this year and I couldn't get the car over for less than £388. And that was trying a variety of dates and times.

The ferry times don't lend themselves to the short break either. A 5 day saver fare is offered, including days of travel. So you either arrive at 6pm on your first day, or have to miss a nights sleep and travel in the middle of the night and get the 2am boat so you arrive (shattered) at around 6am. Then on the return leg you either have to leave the island first thing in the morning on your 5th day, or wait until the late sailing and only arrive back in Heysham at 11.30pm. Not much good if you have work in the morning in Scotland. An earlier sailing from Heysham might encourage the weekend visitor, if they are getting at least half a day on their first day on the island. A late afternoon sailing from Douglas means most people could still get home at a reasonable hour.

Flights are slightly better time wise, but Citywing in 2016 still managed to charge £297 incl taxes from Glasgow for TT, but this year for MGP I could get a flight for a lesser cost of £164. (Obviously that flight is now fantasy, but at least I got a refund from my credit card co).

I am now having to fly from Manchester with Flybe for MGP as Eastern don't fly at weekends from Glasgow and Loganair flights from Edinburgh don't start until September.

As I am visiting a friend when over, I don't have accommodation costs, but can easily see why some short break visitors could be priced out the market if they have to add hotel costs to a fairly high travel price, and the hassle of inconvenient travel times.  Instead they could just jump in the car and drive to many equally scenic destinations in the UK.

Edited by Pale Rider
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, MediaStar said:

I didn't see those prices as I doubt they exist.

Elveden Forest Village 1 week stay Friday 11 August, 2017

TOTAL:£7,271.87

the treehouses i got a freebie in was over 9k but are fully booked so can't get an exact price

that's without actives.....

butlins lodges are fully booked but a 2 bed apartment.....

Fri 11 Aug 2017 7 Nights Minehead

£5399.50

that's just for one family, a coach load of cyclists won't spend that in a week.....

On 25/04/2017 at 4:00 PM, woolley said:

GD4 is definitely not a troll. He's just super smug. Take it from one who knows. I got a belt for being smug at school. I was 6 at the time.

Pity it didn't do you any good...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

The ferry times don't lend themselves to the short break either. A 5 day saver fare is offered, including days of travel. So you either arrive at 6pm on your first day, or have to miss a nights sleep and travel in the middle of the night and get the 2am boat so you arrive (shattered) at around 6am. Then on the return leg you either have to leave the island first thing in the morning on your 5th day, or wait until the late sailing and only arrive back in Heysham at 11.30pm. Not much good if you have work in the morning in Scotland. An earlier sailing from Heysham might encourage the weekend visitor, if they are getting at least half a day on their first day on the island. A late afternoon sailing from Douglas means most people could still get home at a reasonable hour.

In other words "Stupid o'clock in the morning" departures. Been there, done that. In 2009, I had to get up at 4 a.m. to get ready for a 7 a.m. departure. That's one night's sleep and a hotel breakfast missed. But if you're really unlucky your trip home will be on the Super Seacat Two, which probably still has engine problems and makes crossings at reduced speed. I really enjoyed that 1 a.m. departure, last time.

12 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

3 hours ago, woody2 said:

Elveden Forest Village 1 week stay Friday 11 August, 2017

TOTAL:£7,271.87

the treehouses i got a freebie in was over 9k but are fully booked so can't get an exact price

that's without actives.....

butlins lodges are fully booked but a 2 bed apartment.....

Fri 11 Aug 2017 7 Nights Minehead

£5399.50

that's just for one family, a coach load of cyclists won't spend that in a week.....

Wow I thought you meant comparable prices here. I'm glad my children are full grown now. I can't see many families being able to afford that. In Minehead too. It's not exactly synonymous with an upmarket holiday experience. That is staggering to be honest.

14 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

[...] Bringing the car over at TT was always expensive and to be avoided, but at MGP it was more or less standard fare. I priced it this year and I couldn't get the car over for less than £388. And that was trying a variety of dates and times.

The Steam Packet long operated on the principle that anyone wanting to come over in the TT or MGP periods must be a fanatical biker and therefore ripe for exploitation.  As a result all special offers are withdrawn for those periods usually[1] and everyone has to pay the full fare, which is usually set at its highest tariff during the periods[2].  There was a bit of relaxation around the MGP period a while back, but they seem to be tightening up again, perhaps deluded by all this Festival of Motorcycling lark.

The result is that there is a three week plus period around TT and an only slighter shorter one around MGP where getting to the Island by sea is ridiculously expensive.  As even the wealthiest and dedicated bikers won't be over for the full periods, this has meant that for many providing accommodation the period ends up being loss-making with the profits from the main period of racing being lost in empty periods around it.  Hence the paradox that the Races have been one of the greatest reasons for the decline of the Tourism Industry, which in turn has affect the viability of the Races.

[1]  There are usually TT Escape offers for those who want to go off the Island against the flow and there are attempts to market something called TT Tasters, which require you to leave the Island well before the racing actually starts.

[2]  This even applies to the standard 5 day return fares, which makes a short break even harder to obtain.  Oddly enough it is very difficult to determine from the Steam packet website what the actual 'full' fares are.  They only seem to advertise the (non-available) special offers.

• Like 2