Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Wildlife Programmes Fry'ed

How/when/why did Stephen Fry become the default narrator for every wildlife/nature programme that's on recently? He seems to be the darling of the British media but personally I cannot stand his smug, condescending know-it-all persona and his voice is broken glass to my ears. Grrrr. Aside from that I like the subject matter to be presented by someone who has an in-depth knowledge of said subject and not some gameshow host.

/rant over....off to dig out my David Attenborough DVDs

BAAAAAAA!

How/when/why did Stephen Fry become the default narrator for every wildlife/nature programme that's on recently?

I would imagine that the Beeb are actively trying to cash in on his large, if decidedly creepy fanbase in an attempt to build up the ratings.

He seems to be the darling of the British media but personally I cannot stand his smug, condescending know-it-all persona and his voice is broken glass to my ears.

Couldn't agree more! He's been described as 'A stupid person's idea of what an intelligent person looks like', which is a bit cruel but goes some way to identifying where his appeal lies: he's what passes as intellectual viewing in an impatient consumer society defined by its short attention span.

How/when/why did Stephen Fry become the default narrator for every wildlife/nature programme that's on recently?

I would imagine that the Beeb are actively trying to cash in on his large, if decidedly creepy fanbase in an attempt to build up the ratings.

Not just the BBC - there was a programme on CH4 last night about animal migration that I reluctantly switched off because of him.

Can't be as bad as that gardener TITmarsh the beeb tried on some wildlife progs a while back. I did turn off then.

Edited by Gizo