Geoff Corkish's Vote Winning Tactics

Dear Mr Corkish

I live in Ballabrooie and I can hear the Manx Grand Prix bikes revving up at the Grandstand and I can also hear Manx Radio from the external speakers at the Grandstand as well.

Would you be as so kind chappie, to pop up there and tell them to pack it in for today as I want to have some peace and quiet on this Bank Holiday Monday.

Yours Sincerely, from a family who will not vote for you in next months General Election.

Simples!

LT

I Live on Port E Chee and would also like the bikes stopped so I can get to the CO.OP for some milk....... Please

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well It was nice to see geoff Corkish pop down to today's cancer relay for life. He came down especially during the most emotional part of the evening to tell us to turn off the end song as it was ann

Since when has Geoff Corkish had the power to make anyone turn their music off? never, that's when.   Total abuse of being an MHK from an arrogant fuckwit, imo. He should be ashamed of himself but

I didn't even know he was a MHK. What's he been doing for the past 5 years?

Edit: to be fair the same could be said about 90% of the MHKs.

Edited by Mutley

I was just outside the NSC Grandstand gate when Mr Corkish arrived. He introduced himself as MHK for the Ballabrooie area and said that some of his constituents had been complaining that the music was loud and that the same song was being played over and over again.

I wonder - was he wearing some kind of outfit, cape and eye-mask also? Was he wearing his underpants on the outside? Was there a big "S" on the front of his outfit - "S" for...er...Spiderman silent. Does this mean we will now see GC turning up at various Douglas South crime scenes?

Spiderman Geoff Corkish

Geoff Corkish, Geoff Corkish,

Looking swarve, and looking swish,

Spin's his game, but he's a cock,

His manifesto - was a crock,

Look out!

Here comes that Geoff Corkish.

Can he speak?

No one knows,

Nor where he's been, nor where he goes,

Can he blag? you bet he can,

Granny farming, he's your man,

Hey there,

There goes that Geoff Corkish.

In the chill of the night,

When he's after your vote,

He'll promise you much,

And do nothing of note.

Geoff Corkish, Geoff Corkish,

Looking swarve, looking swish,

Full of gaul, but does f*** all,

It's time to vote, now it's your call,

To him life's a great big piss-take,

Voting for him is a mistake,

Don't vote for Geoff Corkish.

"Just reading this for the first time.

I was just outside the NSC Grandstand gate when Mr Corkish arrived. He introduced himself as MHK for the Ballabrooie area and said that some of his constituents had been complaining that the music was loud and that the same song was being played over and over again. I think he thought I was a doorman of sorts. I was just there to do some laps for Team Samaritans. I directed him to the 3FM stand."

What time did this happen? Why didnt you tell anyone? Simply stunned. Do you really think 3FM organised the event?

To be fair if it was 3fm playing the music, then maybe they would be the best equipped to turn it down??

In Geoffs defence, if he had recieved 30 phone calls he was just doing what was asked of him, The locals that called him to complain may not have realised what the music was for, if they had one woule hope they would be a little more understanding.

In Geoffs defence, if he had recieved 30 phone calls he was just doing what was asked of him, The locals that called him to complain may not have realised what the music was for, if they had one woule hope they would be a little more understanding.

A weak defence methinks. His remit as an MHK doesn't include noise pollution officer duties. He should have reported it to whichever part of government does deal with such issues.

It depresses me that both electors and the prospective MHK appear to think this is what an MHK should be spending their time doing. No wonder we get the granny farmers elected.

If someone complains during the Commonwealth Youth Games that the lights are too bright is it ok then to nip down to the powerstation and get them to turn them off since they are the suppliers of the power? Or should you be contacting the organisers of the event?

The whole point is this - 3FM were not running the event, they carry no responsibility like we did - we were and are responsible - and I thought that all the team members were awre of this - including said MHK who was himself a team member last year. This is simply stunning behaviour on so many levels.

Instead our event has been hijacked, and I for one have been left with a very very bad taste in my mouth.

John Wright is indeed the fount of all electoral knowledge and may elaborate on the section quoted by Manshimajin. As some have been kind enough to notice, I'm not a spokesman for M.R., not a reporter, don't write for the paper any more, and apart from that am on summer holiday in sunny Douglas at present so frankly my dears, don't really give a damn. However, this thread raises some interesting questions so count me in.

I couldn't quote chapter and verse on 'the regulations', but most of us in my line of work develop a sort of a sixth sense about what - especially in the run up to an election - is a real story, and what is either a moan or an unresolved spat. There's another thread somewhere about lousy service at a restaurant and I'd also be nervous of getting involved in that...for every complaint you'll find a dozen people who think the place is fabulous and the owners are culinary wizards who would cook their own kidneys for regular customers.

I'm VERY interested in Tonto's post. Even if GC DID approach the organisers (and who is to say whether that was a polite and reasonable request or not), this is surely all a bit of a storm in a teacup...'former politician asks event organisers to turn down loud music' is barely a hot news topic worthy of much digging - is it? Again I wonder if people are being 'righteously offended by proxy' which seems to happen a lot these days - is the fact that it was a cancer charity event clouding the fact that it was (allegedly) a noise nuisance? Or is it that it's about someone who is touting for votes at present? It would be the easiest thing to pick up on a bit of skeet, discredit a candidate in the process and end their political career, which is why I initially counselled caution. It's maybe like being charged with being a kiddie-fiddler - even if you're subsequently cleared, all charges are dropped by the prosecution and the judge sends you away with a substantial damages award and without a blemish on your character, your reputation will always be tarnished. There are plenty of 'oh yes, but what if...' scenarios, but let's concentrate on what lies before us here. It's likely the duty news person this weekend at M.R. wasn't aware of the story - had I been more convinced I would have phoned it in, but I wasn't so didn't.

Manshimajin - my understanding of 'the rules' is that as of last week all the sitting MHK's ceased to be members, officially, but that Ministers keep their portfolios until replaced. So if I had to get a political comment for a Talking Heads segment I guess I COULD phone Allan Bell, but would explore every other available avenue first to stick to the spirit of the rules. Expect lots of interviews with 'former MHK's' (retired versions) in September.

Good post, fair enough

If someone complains during the Commonwealth Youth Games that the lights are too bright is it ok then to nip down to the powerstation and get them to turn them off since they are the suppliers of the power? Or should you be contacting the organisers of the event?

The whole point is this - 3FM were not running the event, they carry no responsibility like we did - we were and are responsible - and I thought that all the team members were awre of this - including said MHK who was himself a team member last year. This is simply stunning behaviour on so many levels.

Instead our event has been hijacked, and I for one have been left with a very very bad taste in my mouth.

I'm sorry you feel like that. We, like many others , had a team of walkers who managed the full 24 hours, for which we are extremely proud. I felt the event was a complete success. Rightly or wrongly (but clearly wrongly), I was under the impression that, although 3FM weren't the actual organisers of the event, they played a more important part than just playing the music and that they would have certainly been able to point the MHK in the direction of the organising committee who would have explained the situation in a way that Mr Corkish would have been able to answer to his constituents' (unfounded IMO) concerns.

Does it really matter that a participant did not know who was in charge? Isn't it supposed to be about the charity?

Does it really matter that a participant did not know who was in charge? Isn't it supposed to be about the charity?

Of course it matters. And it is all about the charity - Cancer Research UK. The Teams should know who is in charge of their event - for just what has happened. If the person had directed the complainant to the right person then we would not be having this conversation right now and everybody including the MHK knows this. We were all there, we could have dealt with this immediately and properly.

I'm not going to say any more about this - it is really disheartening after all our hard work and the reason why the event was put on in the first place.

Of course it matters. And it is all about the charity - Cancer Research UK. The Teams should know who is in charge of their event - for just what has happened. If the person had directed the complainant to the right person then we would not be having this conversation right now and everybody including the MHK knows this. We were all there, we could have dealt with this immediately and properly.

I'm not going to say any more about this - it is really disheartening after all our hard work and the reason why the event was put on in the first place.

I think you're taking it all too personally.

The event was, clearly, a success. There may have been some mutterings from neighbours about the 'noise.' A normally silent MHK may, voiced those concerns but, with the degree of competence for which our legislators are noted, addressed it to the wrong people.

You can't be held responsible for the inadequacies of our elected representatives so just enjoy the success, be prepared to go through it all again - because what you're doing matters far more than anything you'll read on here - and spread a rumour that Status Quo are returning to support the event next time! :P