Ramsey Lanes

Monkey boy

I walked down one of the lanes between Parliament Street & the Quay yesterday, you konw, the ones that have been closed for ages for regeneration. Well it looks as if they've dug up the concrete surface & put down paving slabs instead, which look suspiciously as if they are made out of concrete! They also fitted a small number of walk over lights. Bloke in the pub told me the job cost £200K - I have no idea whether this is true or not, but if so surely it is a complete waste of money. They are back lanes FFS & are still back lanes, infact they don't look much different than they did before. I don't remember the job going out to tender either.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they do look better BUT they will be ruined in no time once the pigeons and gulls have covered them in shit. The one down the side of the Traf isn't even finished yet and one end of it has a blanket of droppings splattered all over it.

Don't even get me started on the mess that will be Parliament Street once phase 2 or whatever begins..

Parliament Street needs doing, its depressing to see the street the way it is. They need to make it a lot more pedestrian friendly and get the property owners to sort out the shop fronts, mind you the depressing frontages are sometimes only a facade hiding the equally depressing shop keepers

having whinged about the state of the street for long enough the irony is that some shop keepers will whinge about the disruption caused by the work to tidy it up as well

On the bright side went to Douglas yesterday and was glad to be out of it after an hour - Strand Street is a dump, Ramsey may not have as many shops but the good ones it does have make it better than Douglas any day

Okay, I'll agree that parts of it do need doing, though some is still fine. If it has taken them this long to sort out a couple of lanes, can you imagine how long it will take to sort the street out?

I don't mind things changing but the disruptions never seem to end and it does affect trade, no matter what people might say.

Nothing we can do about it anyway, it's going ahead whether we like it or not.

Okay, I'll agree that parts of it do need doing, though some is still fine. If it has taken them this long to sort out a couple of lanes, can you imagine how long it will take to sort the street out?

I don't mind things changing but the disruptions never seem to end and it does affect trade, no matter what people might say.

Nothing we can do about it anyway, it's going ahead whether we like it or not.

the obvious question I suppose is what would you have done, personally I'd pedestianise a big chunk of it say from East Street to the Courthouse, have a full width paved area, planting and seating areas and restrict access to delivery vehicles to before 10am. IMO trade relies on footfall - whatever people say drivers don't look in shop windows - and the street needs to have environment which is pleasant to be in with shops and cafes for people to use.

the obvious question I suppose is what would you have done, personally I'd pedestianise a big chunk of it say from East Street to the Courthouse, have a full width paved area, planting and seating areas and restrict access to delivery vehicles to before 10am. IMO trade relies on footfall - whatever people say drivers don't look in shop windows - and the street needs to have environment which is pleasant to be in with shops and cafes for people to use.

I've always said that I'm not keen on full pedestrianisation but that I would accept it if a multi-storey was built very close by - that'll never happen though.

We're going to lose an awful lot of parking in the town and to my knowledge, there's no provision to replace it. Albert Road is only a temporary thing while they tart up Shoprite car park so it will be very interesting to see what happens once the dust settles.

ETA - deliveries before 10am is also a non-starter - Douglas gets priority on that front, we're lucky to get anything before lunch, usually well into the afternoon before deliveries start showing up. I bet the delivery guys will be cursing the changes once they are completed, we'll probably see them just stopping in the road rather than trying to get a park.

Leonard Singer was knocking on doors up here tonight and told me it was £160,000 or so for the lanes. What a waste of money. Shops are empty in town - and yes Annie Craine I know you think it is only 8, when I counted 13 and another big one to soon join them if the Ramsey Rumour mill is right. Ramsey is getting so delapidated in parts it is dreadful.

I walked down one of the lanes between Parliament Street & the Quay yesterday, you konw, the ones that have been closed for ages for regeneration. Well it looks as if they've dug up the concrete surface & put down paving slabs instead, which look suspiciously as if they are made out of concrete! They also fitted a small number of walk over lights. Bloke in the pub told me the job cost £200K - I have no idea whether this is true or not, but if so surely it is a complete waste of money. They are back lanes FFS & are still back lanes, infact they don't look much different than they did before. I don't remember the job going out to tender either.

Your thoughts?

Is it not the same company that is filling the holes in the station road car park <_<

Leonard Singer was knocking on doors up here tonight and told me it was £160,000 or so for the lanes. What a waste of money. Shops are empty in town - and yes Annie Craine I know you think it is only 8, when I counted 13 and another big one to soon join them if the Ramsey Rumour mill is right. Ramsey is getting so delapidated in parts it is dreadful.

Heard that rumour today .... hope they all get new jobs in the town.... :(

http://ramsey.gov.im/Upload/Files/Ramsey%20Regeneration%202_Layout%201.pdf

The 130,000 figure is accurate and is far too much for what has been done but the part that I resent is that are money is being used to pay successful businesses to pay for cosmetic repairs to property that they or their landlords own and should be paying for themselves. I appreciate that a lick of paint may be seen by some businesses as a luxury in these economic times but it simply isn't it is an absolute essential and they should budget for it. How many customers have they but off?

For most services in Ramsey there is only one or two suppliers and so they have been allowed to get away with it as people have no choice but to use their shop. If there was a bit more choice then they would not dare leave there shops in the state they have. It simply comes down to greed and laziness.