The Private Lives Of Candidates

censorship

Has King Peter Of Libvanland answered his telephone yet?

Spoke to him last night via his phone.

Maybe he doesn't want to talk to you.

If you wanted to talk to him that urgently, maybe you should have gone down to the meeting or you could go tonight, if they let you out after dark that is.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Peter rang back and the press did not take his call. No need to spoil a good story?

Is it true that Mr Dobson is now charged with an election offence of not notifying his drink drive conviction on his nomination paper under election Rule 6 and is in court later today?

Maybe Peter rang back and the press did not take his call. No need to spoil a good story?

Is it true that Mr Dobson is now charged with an election offence of not notifying his drink drive conviction on his nomination paper under election Rule 6 and is in court later today?

Don't you only have to declare anything that is 'custodial' on a nomination form?

Custodial = prison term

And what makes you think that drink driving does not carry a custodial sentence as one of the sentencing options, even if in fact the person was not actually sentenced to prison, immediate or suspended

Rule 6 Election Rules Representation of People Act 1995 as amended and in force since 2006 says

(1) Each candidate shall be nominated by a separate nomination paper delivered by the candidate himself, or his proposer or seconder, to the returning officer at the place fixed for the purpose.

(2) The nomination paper shall be as near as may be in the prescribed form and shall state-

(a) the full names, place of residence and description of the candidate (his surname being placed first in the list of his names);

(b) whether the candidate complies with section 1(1)(b) of the Act;

[Para (b) substituted by SD570/06.]

© whether he is an undischarged bankrupt (in the Island or elsewhere); and

(d) whether he has at any time been convicted (in the Island or elsewhere) of an offence on conviction of which a person is liable to custody, and if so, particulars of the conviction.

The law does provide you have to vacate your seat if sentenced to custody. The law says you can stand but have to declare certain convictions.

If this is true it does beg the question, is it in the public interest to seek a conviction for something like that especially when he has already been convicted of a related offense?

Seems once the "establishment" are against you they will pursue all sorts of avenues for what gain, really?

If he has made a mistake/oversight on this one does it really need dragging into court?

Bit like Mr Baines, all sorts of charges were brought against him over and above the main ones, again were they in the public interest?

What is the real reason John? I thought for a conviction, even if you are guilty it had to be in the public interest to go down that route? or did I get that off "The Bill"

I would not like to fall off the straight and narrow on this island for one second, character assassination seems to be the norm.

Many years ago David Cretney when he was a newly elected MHK was prosecuted

For taking the tax disc off one car he owned and putting it on another car because he had not taxed the other car.

Phil Gawne MHK served a prison sentence for arson when, years ago, he was involved with the Manx Nationalist extremist group called Foo Halloo.

And Alan Bell MHK was accused in a report over Mount Murray for misleading

The House of Keys, some years ago.

So Nigel Dobson’s misdemeanor fades into insignificance.

How many people in this forum have been guilty of offences or members of their family have been.

So let’s not throw stones inside the greenhouse.

So, is that official Liberal Vannin policy? You don't measure yourself against the highest standards, but the lowest?

Nigel Dobson made a mistake which, in my view, brings into question his suitability to be an MHK. It isn't the most significant mistake ever.

His party's failure to respond to legitimate media inquiries in a timely fashion concerns me more. It points to a lack of organisation, a lack of strong leadership, a lack of defined policy on member behaviour, a failure to understand how the media works and a failure to comprehend public interest. And these are many of the same complaints we have against the last administration.

It further concerns me that Liberal Vannin members would be among the first to be screaming for blood if, for example, this had been a departmental member and the minister or chief minister did not immediately issue a statement backing or abandoning the member. Double standards in public life is one of Peter Karran's big issues - and yet his own party seems guilty of it.

In a way I am grateful Mr Dobson's misfortune has allowed the obvious weaknesses of this party to be brought so sharply, and publically, into focus before polling day.

Seems once the "establishment" are against you they will pursue all sorts of avenues for what gain, really?

If he has made a mistake/oversight on this one does it really need dragging into court?

You think Mr Dobson's conviction was part of a conspiracy? Time to get the foil hats out.

Are you suggesting legislation is applied differently for cronies of Peter Karran?

I'm learnig a lot about his the Liberal Vannin party works this week...

If you wanted to talk to him that urgently, maybe you should have gone down to the meeting or you could go tonight, if they let you out after dark that is.

A fine, well balanced and measured response.

You can't take criticism but resort to insults.

Wow I am really gutted.

If so, why didn't LVP shout this from the rooftops? That would be biased journalism.

Edited by wheels

A fine, well balanced and measured response.

You can't take criticism but resort to insults.

Wow I am really gutted.

That's the LibVan way it would appear

Personally, I don't care whether or not Mr Dobson is given a custodial sentence. What does concern me is:

1. Why was he so contemptuous of the law that he didn't bother to stand down as soon as he was caught breaking it?

2. Why was he so stupid that he didn't understand that he had to retake his test before driving again?

3. Since either of those make him clearly unfit to be an MHK, why does the LibVan Party insist on him continuing to campaign?

You cannot stand down after half an hour after nominations are closed. There is just that one half hour window to withdraw.

I understand he has resigned from LVP and that is being accepted.

If you read the paper report he says he did understand he had to retake his test

Apparently he told the LVP of his being caught on 6 September and told them he was pleading not guilty and they were as surpriosed as anyone else when he pleaded guilty on 22 September

You think Mr Dobson's conviction was part of a conspiracy? Time to get the foil hats out.

Are you suggesting legislation is applied differently for cronies of Peter Karran?

I'm learnig a lot about his the Liberal Vannin party works this week...

No, I was posting a general comment just happens this topic is relevant at the moment, thats why I mentioned TB too.

Candidate accused of making false statement

http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_171114.html

An election candidate is appearing in court this morning accused of lying on his nomination paper.

Nigel Dobson is standing as a member of the Liberal Vannin Party for Garff.

He's accused of making a false statement in his paperwork for the General Election.

Steve Rodan is also standing for Garff in tomorrow's vote.

Edited by wheels