A Gruesome Miscarriage Of Justice?

Terse

Oooohhh...the capital punishment debate.

I would say only this.

Punishment should never be about revenge so the main argument for the death penalty is deterrent.

But these heinous crimes many feel warrant death are committed by psycho and sociopaths or by those under extreme circumstances who take no cognisance of deterrent.

And if you start tooking about saving money by killing them rather than keeping them in expensive jails then you're a cock

Punishment should never be about revenge...

Easy to say when it's not one of your children that's been murdered.

That's the point, justice, as dished out by society has to be objective. Why do you think there is such a careful selection process to appoint a jury? So their objective view of the facts are not tainted by emotion.

Of course, for anyone who harmed a member of my family I would probably want to kill them but that is not the way society should mete out justice

Punishment should never be about revenge...

Easy to say when it's not one of your children that's been murdered.

That's the point, justice, as dished out by society has to be objective. Why do you think there is such a careful selection process to appoint a jury? So their objective view of the facts are not tainted by emotion.

Of course, for anyone who harmed a member of my family I would probably want to kill them but that is not the way society should mete out justice

The point that you are missing is that there is, should and always has been an element of retribution in the justice system. Juries should of course take an "objective view of the facts not tainted by emotion" when deciding on guilt or innocence. But the sentence given if then found guilty should leave society (including victims and their families) satisfied that the punishment is adequate for the crime and that justice in this wider sense has been done.

Edited by Norseman