Manx Radio Impartiallity?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headline on the website is T the Sarah's Law working group announced by Adrian Earnshaw and also mentions Malarkey.SUrely this is not news worthy coming up to an election?

Definitely isn't and is very biased towards the mentioned prospective MHKs. Most candidates I have spoken to would push for the introduction of Sarah's law

Edited by Bobs

Headline on the website is T the Sarah's Law working group announced by Adrian Earnshaw and also mentions Malarkey.SUrely this is not news worthy coming up to an election?

Link

Its funny how the laws we have were fine before there was an election to fight, I think Manx Radio news room really do take the P*** with stuff like this.

By the way all other Onchan candidates were mentioned for fairness, but not a mention of any other douglas south candidates.

Yes but to put it into perspective wasn't yesterday's headline "Onchan resident puts carpet gripper rod on fence" or something like that? They even sent a reporter out to cover that one!

So perhaps it's not so much a sign of impartiality as much as a sign of a slow news day?

I am sorry but I consider this a piece of rather blatant electioneering days before people go to the polls. How can either Adrian or Bill know at this stage if they will actually get elected or not - and if they do get elected how will they know which departments they will be placed in? I would have thought that the right thing to do at this stage would simply have been to put it in their manifestos if they feel strongly about it.

For my part I did not put 'Sarah's Law' in my manifesto because I think the right thing to do in cases like this is to wait and see how new legislation of this type works out elsewhere and perhaps learn from others mistakes (if any) before moving forward - not rush our fences and certainly not in the way Adrian and Bill appear to be doing (if the media reports are correct).

My sister is a senior social worker in the UK and is part of the team involved in the Sarah's Law Pilot Scheme but having made detailed enquiries I am given to understand that it is too early yet to draw firm conclusions. Should we not simply wait until the pilot scheme reports its findings?

In my opinion this is not how a minister should conduct himself days before an election. It really is'nt.

I would not normally comment on other members in this way but I consider this to be out of order.

The media should not have reported on the matter either.

Edited by Chris Robertshaw

I am sorry but I consider this a piece of rather blatant electioneering days before people go to the polls. How can either Adrian or Bill know at this stage if they will actually get elected or not - and if they do get elected how will they know which departments they will be placed in? I would have thought that the right thing to do at this stage would simply have been to put it in their manifestos if they feel strongly about it.

For my part I did not put 'Sarah's Law' in my manifesto because I think the right thing to do in cases like this is to wait and see how new legislation of this type works out elsewhere and perhaps learn from others mistakes (if any) before moving forward - not rush our fences and certainly not in the way Adrian and Bill appear to be doing (if the media reports are correct).

My sister is a senior social worker in the UK and is part of the team involved in the Sarah's Law Pilot Scheme but having made detailed enquiries I am given to understand that it is too early yet to draw firm conclusions. Should we not simply wait until the pilot scheme reports its findings?

In my opinion this is not how a minister should conduct himself days before an election. It really is'nt.

I would not normally comment on other members in this way but I consider this to be out of order.

The media should not have reported on the matter either.

Hi Chris,

What is your opinion on say where a candisate was prosecuted for a criminal offence or civil action was to be taken against them, should this be allowed to be in the press?

Cheers

Of course it's an electioneering stunt and a pretty desperate one at that. But Manx Radio should still report it, it is newsworthy. People can draw their own conclusions.

I agree but the point here must be that these type of stunts are available to sitting members - but not their challengers.

Edited by Chris Robertshaw

Just John

I think there is a very important principle here namely that we are all innocent until proved guilty. If it transpires that the person concerned was found guilty after being elected then a by-election can always be forced.

For me this is an extremely important principle.

Under what circumstances can a by-election be forced please?

. . .I think the right thing to do in cases like this is to wait and see how new legislation of this type works out elsewhere and perhaps learn from others mistakes (if any) before moving forward - not rush our fences and certainly not in the way Adrian and Bill appear to be doing (if the media reports are correct).

I do not presently have a view either way on 'Sarah's Law'. However . . . I do have a strong view that this type of social legislation needs to be examined very carefully for two reasons. Firstly to see whether any Pilot scheme in the UK works without producing damaging unintended consequences. Secondly to consider whether a scheme that works adequately in a big country will work similarly in a small island. The Isle of Man has tried to 'cut and paste' far too much policy from the UK in recent years (i.e. the Criminal Justice Bill) and it's not always the right thing to do.

Also, there are some policies which difficult to put to the popular vote. By all means examine Sarah's law very carefully - but let's hope that any decision to create a similar scheme here is based on a rational analysis and not on strong emotional views which may skew the issue.

For certain offences the member has to vacate if sentenced to certain things. Or if made bankruopt. The Keys cannot throw them out and force a by election.

Of course a candidate, sitting or not, has the right to the presumption of innocence, same as every one else, but these rumours about a candidate being stopped for driving whilst disqualified are strong. Any candidate who is in that position will know if he was disqualified and if he has not taken his test again. He has a choice

1. Not tell and deceive the electorate

2. Tell and indicate he is defending and carry on

3. Tell the elctorate and encourage them not to vote for him

As for Sarah's Law, I just hope we do not have it here. It is a dangerous thing and has already led to vigilantism in England, think what might happen in our small community. It brands someone for life. Up until 20 years ago any gay male would have potentially been on the sex offenders register and listed for Sarah's law purposes because they could have been prosecuted for consensual behaviour in private between over 21's even in a long term relationship.