What Next

censorship

CM - Rodan

DED - Bell

Treasury - Teare (he'd be better there than at a service delivery department. He should set the budgets and let those with better grasp of humanity decide the priorities and what services can fall away).

Then - Gawne, Watterson, Robertshaw (Home Affairs), & Shimmin share the rest with a reduction in ministers.

Pretty good call that Declan, although I'd maybe throw one or two more names in there as well. Rodan really needs to step up here at a time when good leadership is vital and there is a groundswell of support for him. If he doesn't then maybe his doubters are right and that he has given up on the CM job and become too comfortable with the robes and silk, and is content to sit out his days on a velvet cushion. That's not what he's just been voted in for. He's not too old for the job and here's a chance for him to really do the Island some lasting good. This is not the time to sit on the sidelines.

• Like 2

So far there appears to be a few common names being mentioned for the ministerial roles but no consensus on who should be CM. The question is what do we want from our CM.

Which one of the names being batted about has the ability to lead the Isle of Man, challenge the status quo and have a clear vision and strategy about what needs to be done and do it!

I hope that the MHK's will vote the next CM based on strategy and policy rather than personality which is all this thread has focused on so far . It would be an interesting exercise to look at their manifestos and see whether any of them have actually addressed the future of the isle of man and what there vision is and dare I say have a clear policy about how to implement their vision. If their manifestos are all fluff rather than statement of intent and policy then they should be discounted from being considered for CM. In times of crisis we need a leader not another bloody political animal who can talk a lot without saying anything.

The newly elected MHKs have the weight of the Isle of Man on their shoulders to ensure that they make the right decision in choosing the next CM and they should be held accountable for their actions. The last lot (including some of the above) voted for Tony Brown, so how can we trust them this time round?!

I hope that the MHK's will vote the next CM based on strategy and policy rather than personality which is all this thread has focused on so far

I hope so too. However, I fear that they may vote for a CM that will offer them a ministerial post (and thus higher pay), which is what happened last time isn't it?

The recent Davidson Poll results said that the most popular for CM would be Bell, is that not giving him the best mandate?

As we know we cant vote for CM ourselves but that poll would suggest Bell is the peoples choice.

Whether you agree with the results or not, that is the majority's choice and we are supposed to be a democracy.

A poll is not an election Blade Runner. Nor does it mean that those with other views should accept its result and defer to the sampled findings of a small fraction of the electorate. That's not democracy either. Yes, Alan Bell is definitely a popular choice with many but he still has to be elected and there's a world of difference between one and the other.

And that is exactly why he might want to go for it. The CM post would be his political swansong.

I did hear that he was all for not standing this time around, but changed his mind in the last 6 months or so. That could well be bullshit of course, but I was inclined to believe the source.

If Allan Bell became Chief Minister, would the royal anthem (God save our gracious Queen) take on a new significance?

The poll was carried out properly with a sample size that was big enough to ensure a representative and accurate result.

That means that Bell is the majority of the islands voters choice.

It's much more complicated than that, and it's an unfortunate consequence of the crudeness of the poll and the largely uncritical media hype surrounding it that such an impression is given. If I remember correctly, the confidence interval was such that the true figure that the poll purports to represent might have been higher for other candidates, and in particular Rodan. Secondly, a simple, single selection poll like that relies on a very basic concept of 'favorite' which is at best useless and at worst misleading: the winner of the poll may not have the majority of support, simply because there's nothing to say that the lion's share of people, who voted against him, would regard him as a satisfactory candidate. How many people who voted for Karran, for instance, would vote for Bell were the former not an option?

Secondly (although related to the point above), you can't draw the conclusion you have from the data given: even if Bell was the absolute favourite in the poll (which isn't certain for the above reasons), not all members of the keys are going to stand for the position of CM (indeed, the poll included Brown, who isn't even in the Keys now). This is important, because if only two or three people stand for the post of Chief Minister, it's very possible that the favourite of all available options would actually be someone else.

Edited by VinnieK

The CM should be a convincing articulate chappy IMHO,one you would be happy to see on TV supporting the IOM. That means SR or AB, not ET who always comes across as a mealey-mouthed whinger. Surely, there should be some strategy involved, such as smoozer as CM, with supporting numbers guy for economics, someone else firm on internal stuff, another guy dead hot on external stuff and the fun guy for toursimy/eventy stuff. They have to work as a team pulling their respective strengths together for the greater good, surely?

I would like to see the new CoMin burst onto the stage in the VM with a really slick presentation of how this board of IOM plc are going to look after us, kick arse (gently but with feeling) and really turn this around.

But perhaps I delude myself, given the amount of dog poo on the streets at the mo.

Any MHK with a spine should not vote for Bell, how can a man with his past of being economical with the truth to Tynwald and various allegations and insinuations drawn from his "unhealthily close to developers" be taken seriously as a man to lead the island forward in difficult times. Brown was a bloody embarrassment outside of Castletown we do not need another leader with skeletons just waiting to fall out of the cupboard at any given moment !