Communications With Politicians/councillors

Hi I'm doing some research into how our politicians communicate with the public and I would like to know what ways they communicate with you and vice versa.

Do you prefer face-to-face at their surgery, face-to-face at your home, by telephone, by email, facebook, letter, blogg, twitter, skype, discussion forum, none of these?

I've just started a thread on Warrington Worldwide in my Town of Warrington so you can see what locals here prefer.sweatingbullets.gif

Edited by Geoff Settle
  • Like 2

At election time we have them around like a swarm of bees,after, you try and get hold of them,ring up,and it's an answerphone,mobile,they could be off on a jollie in darkest Africa/Australia/India/,call at their house,on holiday,call at the weekly House of Keys/Tynwald,most sneak in and hide in the members room,unless you catch them coming through the front door.

Now the idea of surgeries,some could have them,not all,my newbie is going to hold them,the last lot,no sign for 5years.

At election time we have them around like a swarm of bees,after, you try and get hold of them,ring up,and it's an answerphone,mobile,they could be off on a jollie in darkest Africa/Australia/India/,call at their house,on holiday,call at the weekly House of Keys/Tynwald,most sneak in and hide in the members room,unless you catch them coming through the front door.

Now the idea of surgeries,some could have them,not all,my newbie is going to hold them,the last lot,no sign for 5years.

I believe that Chris Robertshaw MHK for Douglas East, was around the streets today with his clipboard, helping a number of constituents with various issues. A neighbour remarked on this, with it being so soon after the election but it was a case of "Business as usual" for that MHK.

I can see why many of the voters of Douglas East get a bit tribal when it comes to their MHKs. Despite some decent new candidates, it was always going to be difficult to knock the sitting candidates off their seats.

Your views are quite similar to Warrington but a councillor over here can walk down the street largely unrecognised.

I got the impression that wasn't the case for MHKs, councillors and commissioners in Douglas - people would often say that they do recognise their members and quite often know them and their family - thay may have been to the same school, know where they work. Often the older residents know where their surgeries are and do use them or phone them up and they will call round.

In general I though that Manx people prefer face-2-face contact with their members, this is less so in Warrington where it will be by phone or email - but like you infer above getting a response may often be an issues.