Flagging Of Cunard Ships

forestboy

Once again our politicians/civil servants have missed a trick which would have brought some kudos if not revenue into the Island as Cunard is dropping Southampton and re-flagging their ships in Bermuda. So what is our Shipping Register for then?!!!

What's the point in Kudos without revenue?

Once again our politicians/civil servants have missed a trick which would have brought some kudos if not revenue into the Island as Cunard is dropping Southampton and re-flagging their ships in Bermuda. So what is our Shipping Register for then?!!!

How do we know they are not in talks with them.

The deal with bermuda is not signed and sealed yet.

Have no idea if the IOm register works under EU rules. If it does then we would never get it any way as that looks like the main reason for leaving the Uk register

I expect that the good folks in the Shipping Register did try - they are the fastest growing shipping register in Europe, and the 4th fastest in the world, so they are obviously keen to find new opportunities.

I travel a fair bit, and it is amazing just how often you see vessels registered in Douglas - it is now the 18 largest fleet in the world on tonnage total.

I expect that the good folks in the Shipping Register did try - they are the fastest growing shipping register in Europe, and the 4th fastest in the world, so they are obviously keen to find new opportunities.

I travel a fair bit, and it is amazing just how often you see vessels registered in Douglas - it is now the 18 largest fleet in the world on tonnage total.

Just a shame really that it only makes £90k a year profit for the island

Just a shame really that it only makes £90k a year profit for the island

It makes very much more than that indirectly since every vessel on the register has a local agent acting on behalf of the client shipping companies.

i agree it does.

But what i was getting at is, That if they do no watch there staff cost it could well be on a loss,

While i agree it brings in other type of work for the island. It has to watch it does not increase its staff budget to much. as most of the cost is staff. £1.6m i think

I would have thought it was a priority to concentrate on the Govt. departments that make no profit whatsoever, and make sure their expenses are kept to a minimum.

P+O are looking to re-flag some of their vessels (ferries) in Holland also, simply because the unions are backing them into a corner with regards to salaries, working conditions etc etc. They see the UK unions as a real pain in the arse. If they re-flag in Holland, bye bye UK sea farers on their ships. Hope the unions will be happy with that!

The ship registry has never been in a more powerful position. Companies who's vessels trade world wide are actively looking for British flags, simply to have the protection of the British Navy against pirates.