Foxdale Deads - Priivate Property?

chipbap

We noticed several "Private Property - Keep Off" signs have suddenly appeared all over the Foxdale deads this week - does anyone have any ideas on who actually owns this area?

We have always presumed that the gov has. What are the irritating off road bikers going to do now? Not that there are any fences to keep people off.

it has been used for over twenty years by the public, get prowl onto it, the whole place is one huge public right of way.

No celebrity involved or limelight to be had - Prowl won't be interested. Besides, it's not cheap to ship all those fake ramblers over and drive them around in big 4x4s so they can protest for their right to walk.

• Like 1

Perhaps if someone is suddenly claiming it as private property they should be forced to clean it all up.

If it is private property then why are the contents of it any of our concern, or indeed business?

It is commonly known that it is private property for years, original signs were cut down by 'someone' the first time round.

The problem is, if a daft twunt falls off their bike or rolls their 4x4, they will be fast on the heals of the owners suing them instead of realising it was their own fault.

I spent many a time having fun on FDs on my BMX/Motorbike/4x4, but at the end of the day it was at the owner's discretion and they have probably been advised to stop it now before something happens.

I was practicing on my trials bike there for years, as it is the *only* suitable area on the Island, The club even held a practice/training session there. Always busy, never got chased off.

Fell off many a time, everyone did, Never a possibility of it somehow being the landowners fault, that's nanny state thinking.

It is unfortunately where we are heading, it has gone from slipping on a wet floor in a shop to pretty much anything you do to yourself can usually get a lawyer to find someone else to blame.

Pretty sure we covered all this here...http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42962-snaefell/page__st__60

Even if it is owned by the government it is still private property.

I have never understood how this works. Any sort of government comes from the people, it is the people. That isn't the case in reality, in fact it is far from it. But even in a liberal democracy, I don't understand how the State justifies such laws given they create a separate entity apart from and distinct from the people.

Are there not some really, really nasty heavy metals and bad crap in the Deads' soil, hence not much growth of grass and the like?

lack of top soil is why there is no growth on it.

Not saying there is no heavy metels in it, that is a given, but it would not cause the grass not to grow, lack of soil is the problem

As the 'deads' is basically waste from the old mine workings, I am sure it cannot be too pleasant. Same with the slag heap the other side of the road - right in the middle of the new estate!

You might want to rephrase that as some husbands may get offended