Nominations For Vacant Legco Position.

I see Rodan has called for nominations of persons for the vacant Legco seat which will close a month today, with a further 14 days for objections and the earliest vote being on Monday 12th. December. Please any ideas how we might influence this process to prevent any of the recent Keys election rejects walking into it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I posted previously:   Being an MHK should automatically preclude you from LegCo. Christ but these political rejects, because that's what they are, have some neck...

Why so shocking? I am a long standing and enthusiastic fan of football united and enjoy watching a good game of soccer ball over a tumbler of pinted beer.   Alright. That's a massive lie: I stole

If you'd been following the long standing conversation here about Craine's possible elevation to LegCo, you would have realised that the 'affront' bit usually refers to the possibility of her landing

How about: because she was just rejected as a politician by the people whose business it actually was to vote for (or against) her?

Someone with some private sector nous please, not some rich man's daughter with a typing qualification

• Like 1
Someone with some private sector nous please, not some rich man's daughter with a typing qualification

Agreed but it'll be her foisted on us.

She has the correct ancestor so they'll get her sitting her arse on a legco cushion at our expense for a few years.

They do like to look after their own little clique.

Heaven forbid that anyone with any genuine business skills and intellect gets in there.

Agreed but it'll be her foisted on us.

She has the correct ancestor so they'll get her sitting her arse on a legco cushion at our expense for a few years.

They do like to look after their own little clique.

Heaven forbid that anyone with any genuine business skills and intellect gets in there.

To be fair, she would probably be a good choice. She has several years experience within Government, did a reasonable job and is one of the only ones with some intelligence and common sense. And no, I'm not a relation, friend etc.

• Like 1

so one MLC gets a new job, causes vacancy and election, possible elevation causes another byelection.....

and so ad infinitum

I wonder if they will get the vacancy filled before the 7th (or was it the 13th) choice this time around ?

I think you are mixing the number of attempts it took David Quirk to get elected into the House of Keys! (7)

The last MLC to be put into position was Alan Crowe. He got the magic 13 votes from the House of Keys after 19 ballots. That's n..n..nn.nnn.nn.....nineteen.

As was mentioned on Stu Peters show yesterday, at the House of Keys sitting when Claire Christian was elected, one of the ballots there were 25 votes cast (erm, from 24 members of the House of Keys!). The whole thing is rather farcical but mildly entertaining.

This Island does not need the Legislative Council.

How about: because she was just rejected as a politician by the people whose business it actually was to vote for (or against) her?

I agree but if we went for Callister's proposal she would probably have been one of those elected under the system!

I think I'd rather have someone who had, at least once, been chosen by the public than someone who has never been put under public scrutiny. At least Craine stood, won the seat and defended it. She didn't do a bad job in government, on balance, and was being talked about as a possible chief minister.

I'm not a fan, but they sound like better credentials for parliamentary office than someone who has never been publically scrutinised, has no record of public service and is only being considered because they are a lawyer or accountant - as if having professional candidates makes you a better person.

The ideal situation is for someone who has both, someone with professional qualifications and proven private sector acumen who has a record of public service, perhaps a long-serving local authority member, who has faced a public vote or two and has worked for the good of their area without a massive pay packet.

There must be some decent quality current or former commissioners out there...

While we still have no say in who gets into LEGCO, I think that a simple change in the rules to bar recent MHK rejects from the election should be introduced, say 3 years.

Anne Craine is an example of someone who would probably be OK as one but to be elected so soon after a rejection by the electorate I would not be happy with.

What do you think?

The ideal situation is for someone who has both, someone with professional qualifications and proven private sector acumen who has a record of public service, perhaps a long-serving local authority member, who has faced a public vote or two and has worked for the good of their area without a massive pay packet.

There must be some decent quality current or former commissioners out there...

I would not disagree, but the current problem we have is that there seems to be a problem getting what many would consider decent quality people to stand. That is the floor in both houses.

I think more put themselves forward as MLC's but do not get elected by the MHK's as many appear to see it as more of an old boys club.

Many appear to have forgotten that both houses have different roles. I would never want to be an MHK as I would have no or little interest in local constituency matters. I would not mind being an MLC if I felt that in understanding and commenting on bills I had something to offer.

I am not in favour of elected MLC's because as I said in the other similar topic all you would get is probably some of those who are currently in the upper house or failed to get elected at the last election.

If we are not to abolish I think I would be in favour of keeping the current system but tweeking. Limiting the number of terms you can stand. One vote and winner is elected no matter how many votes, restriction on past MHK's e.g. can not stand or limit to say 4 so there is a split. I would also amend voting rights so that we still have two houses but all the MLC's can do is comment and make recommendations on bills etc. If passed in the upper house then they are passed to the lower house which can then decide whether to accept or reject. I would stop the combined voting so no longer can the upper house stop a motion being passed which has been approved by the lower house

Well they will have to do something,Annie must be down to her last litre of free petrol,and if she has had to fill up,the reality of high prices will have hit home,so,is it going to be "Sisters,Sisters, we were just two devoted Sisters ",or a few coming in from the cold again like Turner,Callister,Butt, so what's the bet,a sisters act,or some stranger from paradise.

Orme was utterly rejected at the ballot box finishing a poor 5th. At the requisition meeting, in his manifesto, in radio interviews and in person he was totally devoid of ideas, preferring rhetoric to ideas.

Anyway, more frightening than Craine is Brown - he wasn't even rejected by the electorate!

I've never understood why Miles Walker's name isn't put forward.