Local Man Builds Sub For A Bet!

Albert Tatlock

Quote: Even as a 10 year old I doubted the thing could ever really work :Unquote

Must have been all those Airfix models and Meccano sets you played with Theo, that gave you an engineer's eye and prescience for the unfeasible and impracticable at the tender age of ten. I wonder what one of today's 10 year old's would make of Graham's (AKA 'Parsley') submersible ?

I am pretty sure this guy did a talk at school back in the mid 80's where he had built a concrete boat! I do remember seeing such a boat in Castletown harbour for a while.

Not uncommon - a Colin Archer design I think

I am pretty sure this guy did a talk at school back in the mid 80's where he had built a concrete boat! I do remember seeing such a boat in Castletown harbour for a while.

There are concrete boats and ferro cement boats. Concrete boats are cast in moulds, as per the remains to the east of the Point of Ayre which was floated there to provide a jetty to load aggregate for export and also the Mullberry harbours floated across to France for the D day landings. Ferro cement boats are usually a light metal frame covered in a metal mesh to which sand and cement render is applied.

This is a start of the new Manx Navy,we should have bought that cheap aircraft carrier the UK had for sale,we might have just got the harrier jump jets as well thrown in as a package,then we can then really throw our weight about if the UK come again for another cut in vat,the only trouble is the ammo comes from them as well,if we run out we would be in real trouble.

• Like 1

This is a start of the new Manx Navy,we should have bought that cheap aircraft carrier the UK had for sale,we might have just got the harrier jump jets as well thrown in as a package,then we can then really throw our weight about if the UK come again for another cut in vat,the only trouble is the ammo comes from them as well,if we run out we would be in real trouble.

On returning from Heysham on election day the Island was shrouded in thick mist, I thought to myself is Manannan trying to hide our shame from the outside world, maybe he could hide us permanently thus avoiding too much outside attention.

With him being a diver, does that mean he will be fully aqua-lunged up when he uses it? or is it a proper, jeans and tea shirt job? Any ideas?

Being claustrophobic, I cant imagine many worse things to do, but I will say good luck to him for having the determination to build it.

Not many people actually do the main things on "their list"