Emotive Headline Manx Independent

As sorry I am for the situation this family find themselves in they are economic immigrants and in my opinion should return to their home country if they are not satisfied with the help offered under the rules and laws of this country.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite simply, under Manx law the needs of the child come first - and once in the Isle of Man the law must apply equally to everyone. To suggest other than that is frankly dreadful.   In the case of

The reds? Sweet Jesus, did a portal into the 50's open up on this thread, or at least a cheap parody of the 50's?

Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to have a baby with Down's Syndrome & Luekemia. We accepted these people to come and do jobs we didn't want to and then when desperate situatio

Posted Images

As sorry I am for the situation this family find themselves in they are economic immigrants and in my opinion should return to their home country if they are not satisfied with the help offered under the rules and laws of this country.

But wasn't the child born here? I think they are entitled to comment and seek redress in the same manner as anyone else who resides on this beautiful Island

Edited by manx-person

Hmm, tricky one for social services really. They probably should make an exception in this tragic case. But the headline is a tad emotive as the op says, a touch of the News Internationals about it. And doesn't make clear exactly what the editor thinks is due the parents. Is it a council house?

I have come across this and similar situations when working with the Migrant Workers in contract cleaning....Although I was often surprised as to the Benefits some of them did get ie Polish girl and husband who got Child Benefit and Maternity whatever it is called and of course JSA but that is contribution based....I was not surprised that they could not get a Corpy/Commissioners House no more than could I!

The essential point is that there is no such thing as being Manx simply by being born in the Island. Jesus was allegedly born in a stable but that did not make him a horse....There is no Manx citizenship....Most "Manx" are British citizens by virtue of birth in the Isle of Man as British territory...

I suggest that as the boy's parents are Polish then the boy is also Polish. I think that I am right in saying that his status depends on that of his parents??? I question? Anyone got the straight scoop on this? I think I am right in saying that you can be born in Noble's and register the birth in Douglas but that does not make you Manx/British...I question?

Certainly this was the case with a pair of South African residents a while back...although they did not have EU status of course.

It appears that whilst they have the EU right to live on the Island the couple still have yet to qualify as "Isle of Man Workers" ie they need work permits not having completed five years and after that must clock up ten years for public housing. Well the Island has to draw the line somewhere! They cannot change the rules just for them or there would be a flood!

The Island advises all and sundry that full Benefits are not usually paid to non-Isle of Man Workers and the economy could not really afford an open house and a free for all...

Personally I am surprised that they get even the small help that they apparently receive. I have known loads of non-Isle of Man Workers who have been offered nothing more than the fare back home.

Has the island got a Reciprocal Agreement with Poland? It has one with the Philippines being covered by one in which it is included under the UK for welfare and Benefits purposes ......and again I am suprised at some of the Benefits available to the workers from the Philippines resident in the Isle of Man...

When I left the Island and returned to where I came from in the UK I briefly went on Job Seekers but because I had been on the Isle of Man so long they sent someone to interview me at home and I had to pass "An Habitual Residence Test"...and I am British born in my own town where I went to school and even I had to jump through the hoops...so the Island is not wrong!

the Island has to draw the line somewhere! They cannot change the rules just for them or there would be a flood!

The Island advises all and sundry that full Benefits are not usually paid to non-Isle of Man Workers and the economy could not really afford an open house and a free for all...

The essential points (the rest is self-indulgent waffle!)

some years ago as admissions tutor at a UK university I admitted a Nigeran student who arrived somewhat pregnant (much to annoyance of British Council who paid her grant as she wouldn't have been admitted if she had been honest in filling out form as she would not be in a position to continue on a full time postgraduate course) but she then quickly arranged to attend a training course in Dublin where she gave birth - the UK had already closed the 'born here' loophole for UK passports requiring parents to have a legal right to remain indefinitely in the UK but the Irish had kept it, apparently Dublin saw more births to non-Irish than to locals as many flocked to exploit the mechanism of getting one family member a EU passport - that child could some years later get his parents and siblings in as immigrants.

Rules are rules. You can't and shouldn't change them for one family - you have to think of where that would all lead, eventually disadvantaging many locals here. Most of us wouldn't move to another place and expect to get things we were clearly not entitled to. This is a role for perhaps a charity, but certainly not the taxpayer and certainly not at the expense of locals in the queue, some equally as desperate.

• Like 1

I agree with Albert,just look at the state of the UK now with both Labour and Tory/Liberal letting hundreds of thousands of immigrants in from anywhere,ok the UK is part of the EU,so they have to accomodate the East Europeans as they too are full members of the EU,the Isle of Man is NOT,so we have no obligation to allow them in,with this being a small Island,if this was allowed to go on without any checks,it would swamp us.

There is not enough work for our own people,old or young,they have over 1.3million young people alone in the UK without work,how many have we got here?,no it's a sorry state,but if we went to Poland or any other EU country apart from the UK,we couldn't stay there and work,or get free hospital treatment,as our passports clearly state.

• Like 1